Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 Readyshare and Windows 10 (Fall Edition) still cannot connect

LiquidSquid793
Aspirant

D7000 Readyshare and Windows 10 (Fall Edition) still cannot connect

I have been through the ringer here.

I purchased an 8TB Western Digital USB drive on Black Friday ($150!!!), knowing full well the D7000 could not support partitions over 4TB. So, I split the drive into two partitions that come up to ~3.7TB each. Now the D7000 shows two shares available in the management console where total space agrees with free space. I see \\readyshare\USB_Drive and \\readyshare\T_Drive.

I do NOT see these or can gain access to these shares on my Windows 10 machine.

I have tried: Adding the D700 device, and readyshare to Windows Credentials. No luck.

I can access shares from other devices, just not Windows 10. I understand this is because the D7000 only currently supports SMB1.0, which has been disabled in the latest Windows Creators Update (Thank goodness!)

I then enabled SMB1.0 under Windows, and sure enough, the share \\readyshare shows up. However, the two shares are looking for a user name and password. admin does not work, even though I used that in credentials. I removed the credentials and tried again. It is still asking for a password. I am assuming Windows is being a bit of a tight-sphincter on granting permission to old dumpy servers. I have no intention on opening this machine to SMB1.0 vulnerabilities long-term.

What this is telling me is that the D7000 not yet gotten any loving for the SMB2/3 patch the R7000 received (that I saw in other threads).

First off: Netgear, is there any hope of getting SMB2/3 support on the D7000 (Rev 1)? Do I need to throw in the towel and give up?

Second: Can the D7000 show on my local network as a media server? (AKA TWonky, etc.) that BlueRay players and Yamaha receivers can utilize? Lower priority.

I like this router, and my Western Digital Cloud died so I wanted to use the D7000 for a backup drive and media server. The WD Cloud drives have a poor reliability track record in my home.

Thanks

-Mark

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
LiquidSquid793
Aspirant

Re: D7000 Readyshare and Windows 10 (Fall Edition) still cannot connect

My initial requirement is to get my music library available again, since I have a vast library of CDs all ripped. Second to that all of my home videos and pictures. I also need reliable backup for work files.

I am not a huge fan of playing video from servers like this, it never works out proper when I want to watch a movie. Something always quits, or someone in the house decides it is time to saturate the network with some massive transfer. A disk just "works". Nothing is more annoying than some piece of hardware or your network flips out in the middle of a good flick. Not to mention my projector is not capable of 4K (it already looks amazing at 1080). 4K would require a lot of upgading for me which just isn't in the budget. The 130 inch projector is good enough for me.

For now I am stuck sharing it off my main PC until this problem gets resolved (if ever). It seems that for all of the fancy technology out there, and I design some for a living, I wind up getting stuck with products like this that have pretty bad limitations. If we released product like this, our customers would fire us if we didn't fix it within days of discovery.

Message 2 of 5
LiquidSquid793
Aspirant

Oh, as for players, just a Sony BlueRay for movies. It can see TWONKY servers and a few others, but apparently not a Windows Media server (it is older). Maybe I will drop a server on my main box that it can see, and my phone, tablet, etc. can all see. 

It would be really nice if the D7000 also had a media player, but seems it is limited to file sharing only.

Message 3 of 5
LiquidSquid793
Aspirant

You may think the D7000 is too small and weak until you look at Western Digital's MyCloud (I had two, DOA, reliability is terrible) and realize that that device served up everything but 4K video very well, and was brainless. When you think of it, the transport from the disk to the network only has to be as fast as the weakest link. That weak link is usually the router if not some other issue. The CPU cranking along at 400MHz has nothing to do but move data from here to there, and if you figure 100MBytes per second (not unreasonable for a 400MHz CPU, and this thing is far faster), it is a 1Gb ethernet saturated and then some (packet overhead). The Ethernet switch function is mostly handled in hardware without much software overhead.

I would still like to get an answer from Netgear to the possibility of a patch to enable SMB2/3 and when. I really hope the answer is not "go buy V2"!

Message 4 of 5
antinode
Guru

Perhaps it's in the recent V1.0.1.52 release.  (Seems unlikely,
though.)

https://kb.netgear.com/000053106/

New Features and Enhancements:
          o Security Enhancement.

Wouldn't it be nice if the usual information-free "Release Notes"
were actually informative?

Message 5 of 5