Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 Router dropping services throughout the day

SoCalHarleyBoy
Aspirant

D7000 Router dropping services throughout the day

I been experiencing 2 issues with my router, which both started a few months ago and has gotten progressively worse.

Issue #1: Router will drop connectivity and restore (anywhere from a few seconds upwards 2-3 mins and if beyond requires a reboot), intermitently throoughout the day.  While perform dignostics with my ISP tech, we disconnected the network cable from the modem to the router, and the router still showed it was connected to the internet via the Internet LED indicated showing solid white.

Issue #2:  Trying to connect/remote into the router "Genie" aamin console to access the firmware version and upgrade if needed, I am unable to ping the router either with a device that's hardwired(Cat6) or with one on the WiFi Netwrok.  Including through the moble app.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
SoCalHarleyBoy
Aspirant

Re: D7000 Router dropping services throughout the day

I have attempted to answer your questions, as a lay person, with my responses in red text - sans the condescension - below:

1. Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router? Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 router (can not physically access the router to get serial #s as I am wheelchair bound at the moment)
  2. Firmware version? Don't know the version, as stated am not able to access the router admin console
  3. Connected to what? ISP supplied Cisco DPC3216 modem is connected to Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 internet WAN port via ethernet CAT6 cable
  4. What, exactly, is your "the modem"? ISP supplied Cisco DPC3216 modem 
  5. What, exactly, is your "the router"? Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 router
  6. Is one of them the "D7000"?  Yes, "the router".
  7. What, exactly, is connected to what, exactly? Cisco [ISP] modem is connect to Netgear Nighthawk D7000v Internet [WAN]port via ethernet CAT6 cable
  8. How are these devices configured? ISP Cisco DPC3216 Modem supplies  internet service to Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router.
  9. Is your "D7000" configured as a modem-only? No, configured as ethernet port switch to PCs, and IoT devices and wireless WiFi 802.11 access point
  10. Is your "the router" configured as a wireless access point? Yes.
  11. Even if I knew what "the router" might be, "unable" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it. Disconnect the ethernet cable connecting the ISP suppled Cisco modem to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router
  12. As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations. As stated in #11, although the ethernet CAT6 cable connecting the IPS supplied Cisco DPC3216 modem to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router's Internet [WAN] port was disconnected/removed, the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router "internet" LED indicator still shows a solid white light, [incorrectly] indicating (according the theNetgear Nighthawk D7000v1router -Owner's manual) an internet signal is being detected/received.
  13. What's the IP address of the "device".  IP address to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router "device" is 192.168.0.1
  14. which is "hardwired" to what, exactly?  As stated in #7, Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 "is hardwired" to the ISP supplied CISCO DPC3216  modem via ethernet CAT6 cable to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 Internet [WAN] port.
  15. Actual "ping" command? Attempted the following "ping" commands to reach the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 router:
    1. With multiple browsers, enter the http://193.168.0.1 IP, or routerlogin.net, or routerlogin.com 
  16.  Actual error message? In all above (#15.1) decribed attempts I get served back the error page. "This page isn't working 192.168.0.1/routerlogin.net/routerlogin.com [respectively] sent an invalid response ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE"
  17. Write your problem description for the non-psychics who can't see what you're doing/seeing? Again, I've attempted to effectively describe the problem to the best of my lay ability, and apologies to all the non-psychics. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

"D7000[v1]" or "D7000v2"?  Look for "Model" on the product label.
Firmware version?  Connected to what?

> [...] we disconnected the network cable from the modem to the router,
> [...]

What, exactly, is your "the modem"?  What, exactly, is your "the
router"?  Is one of them the "D7000"?  What, exactly, is connected to
what, exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of Ethernet
ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

How are these devices configured?  Is your "D7000" configured as a
modem-only?  Is your "the router" configured as a wireless access point?

> [...] I am unable to ping the router [...]

Even if I knew what "the router" might be, "unable" is not a useful
problem description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say
what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions
(commands) with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators,
...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

What's the IP address of the "device", which is "hardwired" to what,
exactly?  Actual "ping" command?  Actual error message?

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Write your problem description for the non-psychics who can't see
what you're doing/seeing?

Message 2 of 6
SoCalHarleyBoy
Aspirant

I have attempted to answer your questions, as a lay person, with my responses in red text - sans the condescension - below:

1. Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router? Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 router (can not physically access the router to get serial #s as I am wheelchair bound at the moment)
  2. Firmware version? Don't know the version, as stated am not able to access the router admin console
  3. Connected to what? ISP supplied Cisco DPC3216 modem is connected to Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 internet WAN port via ethernet CAT6 cable
  4. What, exactly, is your "the modem"? ISP supplied Cisco DPC3216 modem 
  5. What, exactly, is your "the router"? Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 router
  6. Is one of them the "D7000"?  Yes, "the router".
  7. What, exactly, is connected to what, exactly? Cisco [ISP] modem is connect to Netgear Nighthawk D7000v Internet [WAN]port via ethernet CAT6 cable
  8. How are these devices configured? ISP Cisco DPC3216 Modem supplies  internet service to Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router.
  9. Is your "D7000" configured as a modem-only? No, configured as ethernet port switch to PCs, and IoT devices and wireless WiFi 802.11 access point
  10. Is your "the router" configured as a wireless access point? Yes.
  11. Even if I knew what "the router" might be, "unable" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it. Disconnect the ethernet cable connecting the ISP suppled Cisco modem to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router
  12. As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations. As stated in #11, although the ethernet CAT6 cable connecting the IPS supplied Cisco DPC3216 modem to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router's Internet [WAN] port was disconnected/removed, the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router "internet" LED indicator still shows a solid white light, [incorrectly] indicating (according the theNetgear Nighthawk D7000v1router -Owner's manual) an internet signal is being detected/received.
  13. What's the IP address of the "device".  IP address to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router "device" is 192.168.0.1
  14. which is "hardwired" to what, exactly?  As stated in #7, Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 "is hardwired" to the ISP supplied CISCO DPC3216  modem via ethernet CAT6 cable to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 Internet [WAN] port.
  15. Actual "ping" command? Attempted the following "ping" commands to reach the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1 router:
    1. With multiple browsers, enter the http://193.168.0.1 IP, or routerlogin.net, or routerlogin.com 
  16.  Actual error message? In all above (#15.1) decribed attempts I get served back the error page. "This page isn't working 192.168.0.1/routerlogin.net/routerlogin.com [respectively] sent an invalid response ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE"
  17. Write your problem description for the non-psychics who can't see what you're doing/seeing? Again, I've attempted to effectively describe the problem to the best of my lay ability, and apologies to all the non-psychics. 

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] ISP supplied Cisco DPC3216 modem

Only a modem.  Should be harmless.  Presumably, the LED indicators on
that modem don't indicate a problem?

Your description of the role of the D7000 is a bit confused.  You
should be using it as a wireless router, ignoring its DSL modem.
(Saying that it's "configured as a wireless access point" implies that
it's _not_ also acting as a router.)

What's the IP address of the computer from which you are "unable to
ping the router"?

> [....] Attempted the following "ping" commands [...]

"ping" is an actual command.  On a Windows system, you'd need to
launch a Command Prompt (or similar) window to use it.  A Web search for
terms like, say "ping Windows" would find more info.  Responding to
"ping" is a lower-level test than responding to a web browser.

Back to the web browser, "ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE" is not an error
which I'd expect to see.  That suggests that the management web site on
the D7000 is not dead, but it's not working properly.

If you try this soon (within a few minutes) after a restart, does it
still fail that way?

It shouldn't matter, but you might also try this without the
connection between the modem and the D7000.

> [...] the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v1router "internet" LED indicator
> still shows a solid white light, [incorrectly] indicating [...]

Sounds like a firmware bug, but it may not be an important one.  I
have a dim recollection of seeing similar reports when the Ethernet
WAN/Internet port was used.  (Possibly opposite -- always off.)  It's
always worked right for me with a DSL connection, but I can believe that
the Ethernet case was mishandled.

I've never noticed repeated, brief service interruptions on mine.
What I get is a complete seizure at roughly monthly intervals, at least
through firmware V1.0.1.74_1.0.1.  (I'm running V1.0.1.78_1.0.1 now, but
I haven't let it run long enough to verify that my problem's still there
with this latest version.)

If you can't find a way to get web browser to communicate as expected
with "http://192.168.0.1", then the next step is probably a settings
reset.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Reset".
Without web-browser access to the thing, you will need to push a pointy
stick into the hole near the power button for several seconds.

If the problem is simply corrupted settings, then that should help.
If the firmware is more seriously corrupted, then there are ways (TFTP)
to try to cram fresh firmware down its throat, but the probability of
ultimate success is less than 100%.

Message 4 of 6
SoCalHarleyBoy
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  I think at this point, based on your repsonse, I'm going to replace this [Netgear] router w/ an Asus and while I'm at it, on that is AIMesh with backhaul capabilities for the extenders I also plan on installing.

Appreciate the feedback.

Message 5 of 6

@SoCalHarleyBoy wrote:

I'm going to replace this [Netgear] router w/ an Asus and while I'm at it, on that is AIMesh with backhaul capabilities for the extenders I also plan on installing.

If that is the sort of capability you are looking for, then dump the D7000. It was intended to be a DSL modem/router. Repurposing it as a router, bypassing the modem, works, but it won't be the fanciest wifi device around. As to using it as wireless access point, the same applies, and I would not expect that to be up to much.

The good news is the new DSL modem/routers are hard to come by so ou might be able to sell yours for a reasonable price.

If you want to compare whatever Mesh kit you have in mind with Netgear's alternative, look at the Orbi range. It might be easier to set up and manage, and cheaper, than an Asus router plus  a different mesh network.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7