Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000, Sonos Connection Issue (potentially UPNP?)

Stevemeck
Tutor

D7000, Sonos Connection Issue (potentially UPNP?)

I have had an ongoing intemitant challenge when connecting to Sonos devices. Occasionally a device joins the D7000 wifi and is not able to ping Sonos. At the same time another device on the same wifi can communicate ok to Sonos, so it looks like the error is with the particular connection of the first device.

I have contacted Sonos support who logged in locallyt and was advised the following:

"On the diagnostics I can see lots of uPnP failures. Sonos heavilty utilises uPnP and multicast.

-The device is able to ping some other devices but not the Sonos.
-When we cycle uPnP, we are able to ping Sonos again

Basically it looks like refreshing uPnP solves connectivity issues, so there may be an issue with it on this router."

I am running latest availble firmware V1.0.0.38_1.0.1. Sonos have advised I move to a TP-Link router which proves to be more reliable than Netgear when it comes to Sonos performance. I'd rather fix the issue if possible.

Any advice welcome...
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Stevemeck

Try to revert back to the .32 firmware and see if that issue continues I know we have been having issues with the latest firmware and we are working on a new one to fix those issues.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
Stevemeck
Tutor

Hi Mark,

I.ve tried updating a number of times to D7000-V1.0.0.32_1.0.1 per your suggestion. Unfortuantely I can't seem to install the firmware. Each attmept has ended with 'Upgrade failed! Please try again.' I've tried with wired/wireless connections across Mac and Windows platforms.

I instead treid the latest update over the air to V1.0.1.44_1.0.1, but unfortuantely this has not fixed the Sonos issue. 

A little further information, I am currnetly using 1xD7000 and 2xEX7000's to reach the corners of the house, interestingly the times where I cant ping any Sonos units I'm always connected to the D7000. If I then roam to another part of the house and connect to one of the EX7000s the issue goes away and I can reliably re-create this scenario.

Please advise if there is anything else I can try before changing hardware.

If I were to change router, would I be likely to hit the same issue with Orbi? 

Message 3 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Stevemeck

There is a thread over in the orbi section almost all people are saying orbi works fine with sonos only 2 people are having issues and I am working with them on the issue. And that is odd that they have more problems on the main router and not the extenders have you tried different wireless channels on the D7000?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 8
Stevemeck
Tutor

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the response, I've been away over Christmas but back and keen to get this sorted.

I didnt mention in my last note the EX7000 extenders are both wired rather than wireless. Not sure why changing the wireless channel would work, I am able to ping both the internet and any Sonos device from either extender. However I am able to reliably re-create the issue where I cannot ping any Sonos device when connected to the main router.

Is there any way we can talk this through? I'm really keen to get to the bottom of the issue. In fact I'd be quiet happy to invest in Orbi but I fear as it's using the same firmware/UI it will suffer the same problems. Again, I am being advised by Sonos to use TP LInk, but I have already invested heavily in Netgear and outside of this issue I'm pleased with the performance.

Message 5 of 8
Stevemeck
Tutor

Darren, are you able to assist?

Message 6 of 8
Stevemeck
Tutor

Anyone?

Message 7 of 8
Stevemeck
Tutor

Due to no support or reply for a month (very poor!) I've decided to change to a Draytek router on recommendation from Sonos support team (they also recommend TP Link routers). I went for Draytek as it has increased flexibility with failover WAN support.

I changed 2 weeks ago and I now can reliably access Sonos, Phillips Hue and Honeywell EVOHOME from any of the repeaters. This was not the case with Netgear D7000. For the first time my wife is starting to use the tools availble to her as she can rely on them.

Sorry we couldn't get this working as I was otherwise happy with Netgear.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7