Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 (UK) Hardware and Firmware Issues - Hangs / Freezes / Lockups

elementaltm
Aspirant

D7000 (UK) Hardware and Firmware Issues - Hangs / Freezes / Lockups

Calling fellow D7000 UK owners,

NB: IMPORTANT PLEASE READ FULLY

I am looking for fellow UK users currently experiencing EXACTLY THE SAME issues as me with the UK version of the D7000 | Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router aka 'D7000-100UKS'. I respectfully ask you to create your own Thread if this does not apply to you.

A QUICK HEADS'UP

I have been struggling to get this B*stard D7000 Modem Router to be stable and stop complete Hangs / Freezes / Lockups ever since I purchased it (22 May 2016). This has continued despite numerous Firmware Upgrades from 1.0.0.32 through to 1.0.0.38. Currently so far It seems I have managed to get forementioned Hangs / Freezes / Lockups down to approx 1 times every 24hrs, BUT I have only managed to do this by completely disabling 5Ghz Wireless and Port Scan and DoS Protection.

Obviously I feel that having to disable ANY featues and associated functionality to be unacceptable and currently I am trying to engage with Netgear Technical Support to understand these issues and how (if possible) to resolve them with varing degrees of success. Not helped by the fact that Initially 1st Level Tech Support Reps failed to even ackowledge my questions let alone answer them. In all honesty it was obvious the Support Reps I have delt with at this Call Center in general have a very poor understanding of conversational English. As of right now I am still awaiting feedback after upgrading to Firmware V1.0.0.38_1.0.1.

Additional Details

• ISP: Plusnet
  • Subscription: Unlimited Fibre Extra +Max Premium +Pro Addon (80/20)
  • Line Rental: BT (British Telecom)
  • Cabinet: 160 - 170 Meters
  • IP Speed Profiles: BT Openreach 80/20, Plusnet 78/20 (FYI: Plusnet are unusual in operating additional IP Speed Profile. Both must be Reset when problem solving slow throughput speeds)

A QUICK Q & A - Please Participate and Feedback

1. Are you too also experiencing random but complete Hangs / Freezes / Lockups with the D7000-100UKS every few hours?
  2. Have you also found Port Scan and DoS Protection actually block legitimate traffic from sources such as Google / Microsoft etc?
  3. What actions have Netgear Support advised you to do?
  4. What actions have you made to your configuration to make it stable?
  5. What known issues have Netgear Support shared with you for either the D7000-100UKS and / or Firmware versions 1.0.0.32 through to 1.0.0.38? (*ignore Firmware version 1.0.0.34) 
  6. Have you also had to perform a Hardware Reset after every Firmware Update to improve Stability?
  7. Are you also with Plusnet or another UK ISP?

*Firmware version 1.0.0.34 was pulled for, I quote; 'D7000 with 1.0.0.34, when firmware is loaded, ISP is no longer recognized on the region.' (I personally this is not the issue I experienced with this version of the software...???)

Regretably I am far too used to Netgear shipping Hardware with unstable Firmware but this time around this feels special! After 20'ish years I'm at the point of asking for a full refund and vowing to never purchase Netgear again. Certainly not Home / Consumer Products. I'm hoping for Netgear Technical Support to reinstate my believe in Netgear Products and Support but time is surely running out.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you and appreciate any time you can spare to share your experiences and knowledge.

e.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
elementaltm
Aspirant

Re: D7000 (UK) Hardware and Firmware Issues - Hangs / Freezes / Lockups

Time to bring my issue to an end.

I'm finally happy to report the replacement D7000 from Netgear is much more stable, thus far the connection has been up for almost 8 days straight! 

It seems I had combination of a faulty D7000 and also my IP (bRAS) Profiles were set too low and / or stuck. It's more than likley these Profiles had been negatively affected by the faulty D7000.

Current Stats

screenshot 2016-08-01 at 13.50.45.png

Word of Warning

If your with Plusnet (part of BT) then there are 2x sets of IP Profiles, one on BT Openreach Network and one on Plusnet's Network. They BOTH need to be reset at the same time.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
elementaltm
Aspirant

Hmm, no replies so far... I feel so alone! 😉 A quick addition to my original post. I have noticed the latest version of the Firmware: V1.0.0.38_1.0.1 seems to have an issue saving the MTU value. It keeps reverting back to 1488 instead of the correct value (for FTTC - BT Openreach / Plusnet) of 1492...
Message 2 of 5
yugocrazy
Aspirant

Hi, 

Have the same issue. Initially thought that this was due to a DD-WRT wifi extender I had on the network, but even coming off that, it has started again. For something so expensive, it seems very unstable.

On talktalk fibre, if it makes a difference, Thinking of just taking it back.

Checked the MTU and looks like I am on the right one, not sure whether there is anything els eI should check

Any joys with other options?

Message 3 of 5
elementaltm
Aspirant

@yugocrazy thanks for the reply.

I doubt the presence of other networking kit on the local network such as your DD-WRT based WiFi Extender would have any bearing to the issues I have outlined with the D7000. The fact your D7000 has starting Freezing is probably coincidental. Did you amended any settings on the D7000 in the process of removing the WiFi Extender?

You mention you are on TalkTalk, I believe the issues I am experiencing to be Hardware related and not the fault of my ISP (Plusnet) or BT Openreach. As a side note I'm not sure if your Broadband would be on TalkTalk's own Local Loop or on BT Openreach's own Network. It made me wonder how many ISP's utilise FTTC Products from BT Openreach. FYI, here's a list of all the available TalkTalk LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) Exchanges from SamKnows.

I am hoping to speak to Netgear Tech Support at 1pm tomorrow afternoon. I'll update the thread with the results of this discussion.

Message 4 of 5
elementaltm
Aspirant

Time to bring my issue to an end.

I'm finally happy to report the replacement D7000 from Netgear is much more stable, thus far the connection has been up for almost 8 days straight! 

It seems I had combination of a faulty D7000 and also my IP (bRAS) Profiles were set too low and / or stuck. It's more than likley these Profiles had been negatively affected by the faulty D7000.

Current Stats

screenshot 2016-08-01 at 13.50.45.png

Word of Warning

If your with Plusnet (part of BT) then there are 2x sets of IP Profiles, one on BT Openreach Network and one on Plusnet's Network. They BOTH need to be reset at the same time.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7