Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 V2 keeps dropping off network

krytenuk
Tutor

D7000 V2 keeps dropping off network

I have a D7000 V2 and it keeps disappearing from the network. When it disappears it takes down the internal Internet gateway address and so the internet disappears from all other devices on the network. The D7000 has a static IP. This is the 2nd D7000 V2 in the last 3 months I've had which had the same issue. I thought the device was faulty and so had it replaced with this new one, but it has the same issue. My previous D7000 v1 worked fine for many years but had to be replaced with these last two V2 when the Wifi started to fail on it.

It is unlikely that I have been unlucky enough to have another faulty V2 with the same issue in the space of a few months. Before I send this one back to amazon, any suggestions as to what is happening and why? TIA

Message 1 of 9

Re: D7000 V2 keeps dropping off network

@krytenuk wrote:

I have a D7000 V2 and it keeps disappearing from the network.

What does that mean? It loses its connection to your DSL service?

What do the LEDs show when this happens?

When it disappears it takes down the internal Internet gateway address and so the internet disappears from all other devices on the network.

What does that mean? What is "the internal Internet gateway address" that you lose?

The D7000 has a static IP.

Again, what does that mean? Your ISP has assigned you a fixed IP (Internet) address? (A static IP address is something different.)

Which Internet service provider is this?

Message 2 of 9
krytenuk
Tutor

The D7000 has an internal static IP which is the internet gateway address for the internal network. The D7000 acts as DHCP and all assigned IPs use it as the gateway to the internet. The D7000 regularly disappears from the internal network ie its IP does not respond to Pings and the D7000 is uncontactable. All other network devices are contactable at that time. The issue is why does it "disappear"? When it is physically turned off and on, it will reappear once it comes back up. It is setup exactly the same as my old V1 and that one never had this issue, which has presented in two V2 devices

Message 3 of 9

@krytenuk wrote:

The D7000 has an internal static IP which is the internet gateway address for the internal network.

Terminology is important when debugging these things, hence my questions to you. We need to be talking about the same thing.

Do you mean that the D7000 has its own IP address? 192.168.0.1? (That's the default for DSL Netgear's modem/routers.)

That is not what most people recognise as "an internal static IP". It is not a term that you will see anywhere in Netgear's documentation.

A Static IP is a local addresses that you tell the modem/router to assign to devices that are on the network.

A fixed IP address is one that you get from the ISP. This isn't a common behaviour and usually costs you money.

The issue is why does it "disappear"?

To work that out, we need some answers to the other questions.

ie its IP does not respond to Pings and the D7000 is uncontactable.

Pings from what? Uncontactable from what?

Maybe you are using a PC for these things. Have you looked into the possibility that the PC is the source of the problem?

Message 4 of 9
krytenuk
Tutor

The D7000 has a static IP on my internal network - nothing to do with its WAN IP. The D7000 acts as a DHCP server and assigns IPs to all the devices on my network and is the internet gateway for all devices on my internal network.

When it drops off the internal network it cannot be contacted\pinged by any device on the network by its internal 192.168.0.1 address. As it "disappears", no device on the network can get on to the internet at that point ie no device can find the gateway (D7000).

The only way it will reappear at that point is by powering it off and back on again. The Internet\WIFI\IP setup on this D7000 v2 is identical to the old V1. This issue happened with a previous v2 which I sent back as faulty. This issue never happened with the old V1. Nothing else on my network has changed other than the D7000 now being a v2. It has the latest v1.0.0.82 _101 firmware

Message 5 of 9

@krytenuk wrote:

The D7000 has a static IP on my internal network - nothing to do with its WAN IP. The D7000 acts as a DHCP server and assigns IPs to all the devices on my network and is the internet gateway for all devices on my internal network.

I still don't understand what that means. Every modem/router has what you call a static IP address. It is how they work. The rest of that paragraph also simply describes how a router works.

If you are saying that you have set up the D7000 in some exotic way, you may need to explain it.

As to the rest of your message, it repeats what you have said several time already. That doesn't get us any further.

Message 6 of 9
Gwynne
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem.
I switch off the modem and reboot. It works for an indeterminate time then suddenly no connected device can see a WiFi connection. Neither 2.5 or 5. GHz can be seen or connected to. Both appear to be transmitting. All lights are showing as fine. Even my isp can’t see the router on line until I once again switch off and back on again. Likewise this is my second router with the first being sent back as faulty.
All I have done since it arriving is access the router and put in my ISP details and password and reduced the speed on the 2.5 GHz Chanel so that my printer could see it. I have also updated the latest firmware from Netgear.
Everything else is as provided.
So what is the common issue. I’m avoiding other terminology as I’m a novice with just enough knowledge to easily bugger everything up!
Message 7 of 9

@Gwynne wrote:
I have exactly the same problem.

Possibly. But your description does not match the subject of this conversation

I fear that "keeps dropping off network" is not the same as "no connected device can see a WiFi connection".

Your description also does not seem to be much like that from @krytenuk. But they never did explain what was really happening at their end, which is why the conversation  fizzled out.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 8 of 9
krytenuk
Tutor

I've fixed the issue - sent back the 2nd Netgear pile of junk and replaced it with a TP-Link - no more issues !

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7