Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 VPN assigning out of range IP

ADH91
Aspirant

D7000 VPN assigning out of range IP

UHaving updated my D7000 to the latest firmware I'm struggling to get the VPN functionality to work with IOS.  I have followed all the instruction and have been able to get the open VPN app to connect to the router from another network, however I am then unable to access either the home network or the internet. When I investigate I find that the iPad is being allocated an IP address of 192.168.2.2 which is outside the range of address's allocated to my network. Is there something else I need to do to get an IP address that will work?

Message 1 of 9

Hello,

I'm still learning VPN stuff but what you are seeing with the IP address is normal and done to avoid issues with the internal / external VPN network (clients). Essentially the router is suppose to bridge the two networks and allow you to access the shares regardless of this difference.

Has this worked in the past?

If you open a web browser and type as the address 192.168.2.1, does it access the router?

Message 2 of 9
ADH91
Aspirant

Hi 

thanks for the reply.

I've tried your suggestion and you are correct I can log into the router via the VPN connection. 

However if I try connecting to the internet this does not work. 

I also tried pinging other devices on my home network all with 192.168.0.x IP address's. None responded. 

Is there something I need to do to enable the 192.168.0 and 192.168.2 networks to connect?

thanks for your help

Alistair

Message 3 of 9

For the internet issue, could be a problem with your DNS settings. If the IOS / app has the ability to change the DNS servers try using google servers.

DNS (aka nameserver1) 8.8.8.8

DNS (aka nameserver2) 8.8.4.4

For the issue of trying to access network shares, the VPN server (your router) is now acting as the device which broadcasts all internal services over the VPN network.

This means anything you have being shared on the internal IP of 192.168.0.x is to all VPN clients the VPN server address, 192.168.2.1.

Any network share is now 192.168.2.1 but the problem is you need to know the full path, TUN mode can influence this behavior.

If you are trying to create a virtual LAN, bridge VPN clients to your LAN try changing the IOS / check the VPN protocol being used.

It might be using TUN mode, change it to TAP mode <this is probably what you want and will solve all the issues in one go (provided it works :))

Message 4 of 9
ADH91
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions.

I've checked out the DNS and this is set to 8.8.8.8 but still no internet.

you are correct that I'm expecting a bridge to my home network via the VPN on the router. 

Unfortunately TAP is not supported by the OpenVPN app so I'm stuck with TUN. 

The notes on the route, Netgear D7000 say that I should get access to both the home network and the internet by copying the profile to the app that they provide but obviously something is not working. 

Message 5 of 9

Did you see this one yet? (has to be TAP for local shares)

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/BridgingAndRouting

I'm also using the D7000 and so far not been able to get it to work for just internet browsing on my Android phone, which might be an issue with that particular version (4.4).

I have also tried a Windows 10 laptop with the OpenVPN client GUI, connects ok, defaults to TAP, IP of laptop becomes same as local Lan but had issues with certain websites, some didnt load :(.

Message 6 of 9
ADH91
Aspirant

Hi

Yes I had seen the info which as you say, directs to the fact that it needs to be a TAP connection. 

Its disappointing that Netgear don't make it clear what you should expect from the VPN or any trouble shooting. 

Interesting I also found the below which appears to indicate that somebody has got it to work!

http://www.hightechdad.com/2016/03/15/how-to-set-up-openvpn-with-netgear-r8500-wifi-router-for-smart...

Message 7 of 9

Since I have had no success either I'm starting to think it's broken on the D7000.

Message 8 of 9
ADH91
Aspirant

That's my conclusion as well. Let's hope Netgear recognise this and issue a fix. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7