Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 continually drops Internet connection

winterhog
Star

D7000 continually drops Internet connection

My brand new D7000 drops the Internet connection up to 15 times a day... Sometimes it will run for hours without issue and other times, drop off every 10-15 mins

it will normally reconnect itself, but sometimes needs to be manually rebooted. As far as I can see, the WAN/Internet is configured correctly for my ISP (BT) since it does work perfectly well until it drops
(I'm no network guru, but do pretty much know what I'm doing!)

i have eave tried switching the MTU values since others had found that fixed things for them and just switched encapsulation from PPPoA to PPPoE without success.

I'm not using the latest firmware (since updating my old Netgera router bricked it!) but, have downloaded it read to manually install as a next step.

any help please?

Firmware Version V1.0.0.18_1.0.1
ISP: BT

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
winterhog
Star

Basically, I have found out the following from my ISP:
The original issue was the result of an infrastructure fault - they replaced cabling to my property
The subsequent recurrence of the symptoms coincided with their upgrade works to the exchange - they did not alert me of the upgrade until it was completed.

Since then, the connection has remained constant and reliable as well as being 4 times faster than originally.

I therefore think the issue is totally the fault of my ISP.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 17

All Replies
clithes
Prodigy

I would certainly upgrade firmware to the latest (1.0.0.32) and see if that improves anything first.

If not post back here with an update

Message 2 of 17
winterhog
Star

Ok, so I bit the bullet and updated the firmware... So, now on 1.0.0.32_1.0.1

No joy, still dropping out regularly.

went for several hours after the firmware update being pretty stable, started dropping and now won't even reconnect via genie, needs a reset/power cycle. Just dropped 4 times in 15 minutes

its getting so bad, I'm considering going back to the BT Home Hub!!!

Message 3 of 17
winterhog
Star

Update:

have been running on the on the home hub since last night without a hiccup

following advice from Netgear support, I did a factory reset and manual configuration of the D7000 - ran ok for 30 minutes and then dropped...

Hardware failure or incorrect, undocumented configuration issue with the netgear router?

Message 4 of 17
winterhog
Star

One thing I thought of ...

While I have been experiencing the issues with my Netgear product, I have reverted to using my BT Home Hub which has remained stable.

When I reattached some wired devices back to the Home Hub, I started to experience drops on the Home Hub too. I disconnected them again this morning and it's stable again!!!

By a process of elimination, I believe the cause could be my Sonos Bridge. What I think is happening is that the wireless channel used by the Sonos (it creates its own mesh network for the Sonos devices) is conflicting with the Wireless AP for the router.

So, my questions are:

• Could this be the cause?
  • How can the wireless channel conflict on the LAN side cause the WAN to drop?
  • Does the router restart the internet connection if/when it switches wireless channel if it sees interference/conflicts?
Message 5 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello WinterHog 

Have you been able to figure out why the Sonos system is causing these issues? Have you tried to change the channel on the D7000 or if you can on the Sonos?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 17
winterhog
Star

Well, basically, I'm not sure whether the Sonos connection is the cause or whether it is a coincidence but, the problems seem to occur significantly more often if/when the Sonos is connected.

I have now had the D7000 swapped (Netgear support eventually diagnosed this as a H/w fault) yet, the new device has been behaving exactly the same. They have now escallated the issue to 2nd line - they have scheduled a call for tomorrow to discuss the issue and tty further diagnosis.

I cannot say 100% whether the BT HomeHub has never dropped the connection with the Sonos connected but, it has been significantly more stable than the D7000. Even with the Sonos Bridge connected, the D7000 can run for significant periods without a drop (& can also drop many times in very short periods of time for no known reason) - for example, yesterday it remained stable all day while my wife worked from home but, in the evening, it dropped 4 times in a 2 hr period. Equally, the D7000 will still drop the connection regularly without the Sonos connected. 

The Sonos was set to use channel 6 for it's own network & using the Network Analyzer in Netgear Genie, I also noted that my neighbors BT Home Hub was also using channel 6
I have since changed it to use 11 (the only other option on the Sonos, channel 1, is being used by another network so I have avoided using that. 

My D7000 is using channel 3 for 2.4Ghz and 44 for 5Ghz

The symptoms persist after the changes to the channels

When the D7000 drops the connection, I can see in Netgear Genie on my Mac that the internet connection is not connected, when I click it, it tries to restart. Sometimes it restarts successfully but more often than not, it then fails when it is checking the Gateway. The result of this is that it requires a reboot to re-establish the connection. 

I have also raised a line fault with BT (since my original view was the problem seems to be infrastructure related - it has occurred with several modem/router devices). Their 'tests' revealed no line faults.
I will also concede that the ADSL settings could be wrong - although I cannot find any documentation on what BT Broadband settings should be (they expect customers to use their Home Hub). However, I have use the 'auto-connect' and compared the main settings on the Home Hub with those configured on the D7000 and they are the same. The Home Hub does not present all settings nor will it allow changing all the ADSL settings (things like MTU for example).

the D7000 was purchased to replaced a failed DGND3300 modem/router that I had used for many years and never dropped the connection. Nor did it need any regular restarts.I do have the config file backed up from this device - should I compare its settings with those of the D7000? The same devices were connected to the DGND3300 in the same manner as the D7000.

Message 7 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello winterhog

Yea I would compare the settings of the old modem that worked fine to see if something is off . Also just check the basics such as the DSL filter and you cables and if you can maybe try a different outlet.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 17
winterhog
Star

Well, I did that - none of the significant settings are any different so, that's not got me anywhere.

Tried several new ADSL cables including the one that worked fine for years on my old DGND3300
3 x ADSL filters
Tried changing the socket and also tried the BT test socket
Nothing made the slightest difference 😞

I have had the support issue escallated by Netgear support - they called me on Friday night and had an hour long discussion/screen sharing session to triage the problems.

The result: left PPP logging running and installed WireShark Packet capture to get data for engineering to investigate. They now have a couple of massive data files to trawl through which I really hope will identify the root cause - fingers crossed!

Message 9 of 17
winterhog
Star

So, Netgear 2nd line finally got back to me with a new (beta) version of the firmware, updated last night and, so far (fingers crossed) the WAN has stayed up - at least from 9 last night until I left the house this morning. That's 10 solid hours without a drop, soft or hard reboot - not had that pleasure since I bought the thing 😄 Hopefully, it will be the same story when I get home later.

Also, it may be coincidence but, the connection seems much 'faster' or at least more responsive - getting much less lag on page load requests from my browser. Like I said, could be coincidence but, I do't know the details of what the issue is/was that the firmware addresses but, if it were packet loss/errors etc, then I guess that could impcat the performance too...

Watch this space....

Message 10 of 17
Mcc05
Aspirant

Ok just got my D7000 yesterday, configured to logon FTTC Talktalk connection, all seems good connected, good speed etc. But seems like I have the same issue as here, the d7000 just fo no reason and a random times drops the internet connection and the only way to re-establish it is to reboot..

Its on the latest published firmware, so is there and chance I can get hold of the beta firmware to see is that resolves the issue?

Message 11 of 17
clithes
Prodigy

do you lose wifi connection only or full Internet?
Message 12 of 17
Mcc1210
Guide

full internet wifi and router work ok, but no internet until rebbot
Message 13 of 17
winterhog
Star

Sounds like the same issues as me - the LAN is fine for both wired/wireless but, the internet connection reports in Netgear Genie as being disconnected. It also seems to vary in that sometimes the basic view, shows no connection but advanced view shows connected, or visa versa. Clicking reconnect doesn't work, nor does reparing the connecting. The only way to get the service back is to reboot - normally a soft reboot works but often, it needs a hard reset.

I'm pretty sure the beta firmware hasn't solved things - still getting drops very frequenty.

I'm also getting drops with my home hub now (wasn't before) so, not totally convinced that the router is 100% to blame - I have a BT engineer visiting tomorrow to 'investigate'.

Another thing may be the speed - I had heard that Netgear don't cope well with 'slow' connections (mine is <2mbps) but, if you have FTTC (and are not too far away), I would expect your speed to be resonalble.

If you want to try the beta firmware, you will need to contact Netgear support since I agreed not to re-distribute when they allowed me to try it. But, feel free to reference my issue (#26691146) when you contact them.

regards

Message 14 of 17
SiWhite
Aspirant

Mine has been doing the same since I got it so I went back to the home hub.  Thought I'd try it again yesterday. Updated the firmware but the issue still persists.  

Message 15 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello SiWhite

If you have the 1.0.0.34 fw it was pulled for issues and should be reposted in the coming weeks with the issues fixed.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 17
winterhog
Star

Basically, I have found out the following from my ISP:
The original issue was the result of an infrastructure fault - they replaced cabling to my property
The subsequent recurrence of the symptoms coincided with their upgrade works to the exchange - they did not alert me of the upgrade until it was completed.

Since then, the connection has remained constant and reliable as well as being 4 times faster than originally.

I therefore think the issue is totally the fault of my ISP.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7