Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 disappointing missing basic features

Mcc1210
Guide

D7000 disappointing missing basic features

Just got this router, must admit bit disappointing missing some very basic things.

Can't believe device names can't be changed to an alias etc, I have to manage a large number of andriod devices and the ARP names are useless to identify the device in question, I know you can do this in the genie app but these names don't travel between devices the genie app is installed on, come on Netgear please put this simple function into the router...

Not being able to set a custom DNS in the DHCP another oversight I think.....

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
VE6CGX
Master

I believe you can do that manually logging into the router.

Message 2 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Someone on this forum posted a way to change the device names.  I think it was either through Address Reservations or MAC Access Control.

OP is correct about the inability to override the DNS server address provided by DHCP.  It would be really nice if Netgear provided an option to override that.  Bury it in an advanced settings page, if necessary.

Message 3 of 9
Mcc1210
Guide

Yep looks like you could edit the device names if you set a device resevation for all of them, but that does not carry throught to the attached devices screen so still no good!

Message 4 of 9
VE6CGX
Master

As far as I know, attached device listing never worked perfect. Same with ASUS routers too. Another way is if you run ipscan

you can see all the connected devices.

Message 5 of 9
Mcc1210
Guide

Ok seem to have found a way to alias the names of the devices, It looks like if you turn on access control and edit them in that screen it carries the names back to the attached devices screen. Ok not as bad as I thought now... still not great DNS etc, and not I have another problem the router disconnects from the internet and the only way to get it to reconnect is to reboot arrrr!

Message 6 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mcc1210

How often are you getting disconnects? do they happen when certain devices connect to the modem?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 9
Mcc1210
Guide

Seems a bit random, lasted 60hr this time, but funny you should say about when device connects, just disconnected my Samsung S7 and re-connected it it dropped ???

Also what is strange when it disconnects, the BASIC screen shows internet disconnected, but the ADVANCED shows it connected!!!!

Message 8 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mcc1210

I would make sure you are using the latest firmware which I will link below. The other thing you may want to try is to adjust your wireless channels make sure you are getting the best signal. The last thing you may want to look at is the MTU you may want to lower it a little bit.

Firmware

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30427

Wireless channel 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1027

Mtu

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24015

DarrenM

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos