Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 displaying country code X1

benkero
Aspirant

D7000 displaying country code X1

I'm using D7000 on 5ghz network in Australia and my country code is being transmitted as X1. How can this be possible? This is not even a country. I need to resolve this as it is causing issues with Mac computers on my network. I have the latest firmwire.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
antinode
Guru

Re: D7000 displaying country code X1

> I have the latest firmwire.

An actual version number would be more helpful than your opinion of
what's "the latest".  Especially tomorrow.

What's it say at: ADVANCED > Setup > Wireless Setup : Region ?

It's also possible that its stored settings have gotten scrambled.
If the router is hopelessly confused, then it may be time to try the
usual panacea, a full ("factory") reset, and then reconfiguration.  You
can try saving and restoring the settings, but if they're corrupt, then
a manual reconfiguration might work better.

Message 2 of 11
benkero
Aspirant

Apologies for the ambiguity, the router automatically checks for the latest. It is apparently running V1.0.1.50_1.0.1.

AADVANCED > Setup > Wireless Setup : Region shows: Australia. Which is why this is so puzzling.

I reset from factory settings and it still shows the same issue. Is there a way to see what it is transmitting? Presently I'm only viewing it through the Mac System Profiler. When I reset factory settings, then logged onto the 2.4ghz network, it showed AU (Australia) but when I logged onto the 5ghz network it began displaying X1.

Message 3 of 11
antinode
Guru

Until now, I hadn't known that there was a Country Code in this
stuff, so I know nothing, but a quick Web search for:
      wifi apac x1
found a couple of other instances of Macs saying the same thing:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8169963
      https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/x.1033380/

So, it may be more normal than you think.  A more diligent search might
find a list of official Country Code values.  (Mine says "US".)

> [...] I need to resolve this as it is causing issues with Mac
> computers on my network. [...]

Define "issues".  What's the evidence that this datum matters to
anyone?

Message 4 of 11
benkero
Aspirant

Thanks for your continuing support. In my searching I found several of the kinds of threads you list, but little explanation as to what or why X1 is a country code. Or further, any solution as to remedy it.

From my understanding, the Mac network adapter defines its country code by the closest and strongest wifi signal and it's corresponding country code. For reasons that are unknown to me, my router is transmitting country code X1. Do you happen to have a country code list that includes X1? I have not found one, even after the diligent searching I conducted before coming, as a last resort, to this forum.

What does this matter? I believe it to be affecting my ability to remain connected to the internet. The internet drops out while the wifi network remains active and strong, at least according to the wifi signal strength.

Message 5 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] I believe it to be affecting my ability to remain connected to
> the internet. [...]

I doubt it.  A quick skim of these forums can find any number of
complaints about Internet connectivity problems, approximately none of
which cite this as a reason.  (My D7000 with V1.0.1.50_1.0.1 has no such
trouble, but that proves little.)

> [,,,] The internet drops out while the wifi network remains active and
> strong, at least according to the wifi signal strength.

I'd expect a problem with the wireless country code to affect (local)
wireless connections, not the modem+router-ISP connection.  If your
wireless clients can talk to the D7000 but not the Internet, then I
think that you're barking up the wrong tree.

> [...] In my searching I found several of the kinds of threads [...]

Of course, it's possible that all those folks are running Netgear
routers which share this "issue", but I still doubt that it, even if it
is wrong, could have any effect on the DSL-ISP side of the modem+router.

Message 6 of 11
benkero
Aspirant

>I'd expect a problem with the wireless country code to affect (local)
wireless connections, not the modem+router-ISP connection.

You're right. That's what it's affecting. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I have an iPhone connected to the D7000 and it does not experience the same issue. On the iPhone I can use the internet, log into the router and everything seems fine. But on the Mac, the same one I've been reporting as showing country code X1, there seems to be the issue. The internet drops out, and I am unable to access the router login page. As I said, the wifi network in its entirety appears to be working fine, but the connection between the Mac and the router is the issue.

I've attached some pictures from the Mac OS Wifi Diagnostics tool, which suggests there is a problem. Through my searching yesterday on this and other fora, I've found the issue to not be with the Mac but with the router, which is communicating a X1 country code, which the Mac is receptive to. There are many threads about conflicting country codes, of which none have been help to this particular situation.

I'm only here to find out why/how this X1 country code is in operation, and nothing more. Do you have any information?

Message 7 of 11
cjsimm
Aspirant

I am running a Netgear modem and have the exact same problem with two MacBook pros in the house which are running high Sierra. There is an additional MacBook Pro which has an outdated OS which can hold a stable connection.

We have iPads and iPhones and Android phones that can all maintain a stable connection.

The issue was present on my MacBook Pro after an initial update to Sierra and a further update to high Sierra.

Has anyone got closer to finding a solution?
Message 8 of 11
80njc80
Apprentice

Similar concepts have been discussed in other threads that may or may not help you.  Worth a read for more understanding:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-are-pings-on-R7000-and-one-more-question...

Message 9 of 11
benkero
Aspirant

I am no closer to finding a solution, but I changed my region to Asia and it appeared to provide an AU country code for a while but has reverted back to X1. Really need an escalated solution here.

Message 10 of 11
DaveP01
Aspirant

Hi Benkero I have an EX-6400 extender with a similar issue (I am in GB but the country code is set to DE, which is confusing my 2017 Macbook Pro). I have raised a community thread about this, and see other similar threads, but none with an obvious resolution. Did your issue ever get resolved?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7