Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 dropout constantly cuts all devices off the network and won't allow them to rejoin

hobohendo
Follower

D7000 dropout constantly cuts all devices off the network and won't allow them to rejoin

Hello.

I've recently purchased a nighthawk D7000. Its worked fine until the last few days. It will now every 15 minutes or so cut all devices (phones laptops wifi/lan) from it and not allow them to rejoin. The only way to get it working for another 15 minutes is to turn it on and off. I cant do this all day long.

the LAN LED light will usually turn off on the moden and wifi networks will drop out. if i try to reconnect to a wifi network that is still broadcasting at full bars it will prompt me for my wifi password which when i enter correctly will not work. 

What can i do?

Message 1 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7000 dropout constantly cuts all devices off the network and won't allow them to rejoin

Hello hobohendo

You can try to do a factory reset to the modem and update the firmware to see if this issues stop. If not we can look to troubleshoot this some more.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 76
markenz
Guide

Have you found an answer to this problem, I am haveing the same issues. D7000 locks up completely with WIFI still transmitting but no communications.

Only solution is to cycle the power to the unit. I have tried firmware 16 and 18 with same results.

Message 3 of 76
matrixsig
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. Have not tried a factory reset.  Going to try and same the logs off when I get a chance to see its last message before the lockup.

Message 4 of 76
markenz
Guide

Replaced with ASUS DSL-AC68U  and have had zero problems for a week.

Looks like a D7000 problem.

Message 5 of 76
thedas
Aspirant

i have the same problem router drop's all connections except main computer this thing is junk and is going back to the store

Message 6 of 76
thedas
Aspirant

I have the same issues and have updated firmware and reset many times works for a few hours and then drop's connections overnight im taking it back to best buy.

Message 7 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

Can I ask some more information from everyone so we can look into this issue.

• Can you provide a picture or description of the LEDs when connection drops occur.
  • We also would like to know what they mean by D7000 drops all connections. Do the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs disappear or do WiFi clients remain connected to the WiFi but they cannot access internet?
  • Who is your ISP
  • Can you access the WebUI when the connection drop occurs. If the access to WebUI is maintained can you provide a screenshot of connection statistics screen when issue occurs. The connection statistics page can be accessed by going to http://192.168.0.1/RST_statistics.htm

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 8 of 76
markenz
Guide

Hello DarrenM

All LEDs that have had connections are ON and are WHITE indicating that there is normal operation except that the LEDS do not flicker to indicate traffic, they are just constant ON.

The 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi channels still indicate as being active on the LEDs and can be seen by the PC, but it is not possible to make a connection to them.

It is not possible to make a connection to the router itself. If you use a browser to make a connection, it fails.

You can not go online to the router and reboot, the only way to unlock, is to cycle the power. I found that it usually took one power recycle to unlock the router so that I could then reconnect to the router, but I had to further re cycle the power or software reboot the router before it would connect to the internet.

I behaves as though the CPU in the router just goes to sleep, or gets tied in a knot and will not do anything at all.

The LEDs remain in their last state, the WiFi transmitters remain in their previous state, but there is zero communications in any port.

When I first installed, it ran well for a week or so, and then locked up. I reset and it ran for another week.

After that, it would run for anything from ten minutes to three or four hours, but never longer than that. Totally unreliable in terms of its purpose, but ultra reliable in terms of lock ups.

Service provider is Spark here in New Zealand.

Tried firmware 16 and 18 with same results.

Can not access the statistics page as have replaced with an ASUS that does work. The D7000 is no longer installed.

Message 9 of 76
TheCatLady
Aspirant

I've also had this problem with my D7000. It locks up about twice a day, I can't connect any devices to the wifi and I can't access the statistics page. I'm going to swap it for an ASUS if you don't release a fix for this very soon.
Message 10 of 76
Rossfever
Aspirant

Ive wasted 3 phone calls and a total of 1.5 hours on negear support changing settings, moving cordless phone, firmware checks all the same results. Getting sick of it. I had the same problem with a netgear device years ago. I think I'll stay away from them from now on. Funny thing is the language connectionskills are still ok. Just the wireless devices time out. Even in the settings, you can choose to set the d7000 to "modem only" or "router/modem" but not "router only". Seems the settings for wireless are a bit restrictive.
Message 11 of 76
r7H
Tutor
Tutor

Hi DarrenM,

Generally agree with Markenz.  Lights are a constant white.  Can't access the device through the browser and both wired and wifi are dead even though the lights indicate otherwise.  If I cycle the power the device comes back to life and can access the internet, router through the browser, wifi.   This has become a daily issue recently and occurs about twice per day.

Message 12 of 76
markenz
Guide

Asus running for more than three weeks with zero issues.

D7000 runs for anything from 10 minutes to 3 hours before locking up.

No solutions yet for the D7000 except to scrap it.

Message 13 of 76
r7H
Tutor
Tutor

Anybody been able to get a refund from Netgear or did you have to return to the seller?

Message 14 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

I have passed these issues on to our engineering team they are investigating the issues I will let you know what I am able to find out about the issue.

DarrenM

Message 15 of 76
r7H
Tutor
Tutor

I currently have an open case (#26045102) for this issue.  So far Support has only had me do some very basic things such as:

Change the Wireless channel (which doesn't adress the fact that wired connectivity fails also), change the MTU value, downgrade firmware from version 18 to 16 and press the reset button.  Still waiting to see if the reset worked after several of these changes.  It didn't work prior to the changes.

Message 16 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

r7H

I sent you a private message.

DarrenM

Message 17 of 76
clithes
Prodigy

My D7000 is behaving in exactly the same way.  Using latest firmware atm

Message 18 of 76
cazizi
Aspirant

Wow... I didnt realise this type of issue was so prolific. My D7000 drops out also. However, only between 5pm and 8pm. I can't get my head around it. 

I've been on the phone to TPG countless time and they can't figure it out. They keep exploring issues to the line and had a telstra guy out here last week to try and sort it out. To no avail. I've never believed it to be a line issue as outside of those time it reconnects. 

Evrytime I log into the router whenther it be via a browser or through the Genie app it shows that the connection is good, yet I cant access anything. Wifi or hardwired. 

I haven't changed any setting to turn off anything during those times. Any suggestions?

-Charlie

Message 19 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Cazizi

I have sent you a Private message about this.

Thanks 

DarrenM

Message 20 of 76
r7H
Tutor
Tutor

So after the reboots, resets, downgrades, resets the device dropped again yesterday.  It appears that a downgrade to 16 and a reset isn't the answer either.

Message 21 of 76
Wittmanjff
Aspirant

Having the same issue. You'd think after all these inquiries and time past they could figure something out to fix this issue. I've been a NetGear customer for a very long time this could be a game changer.
Message 22 of 76
r7H
Tutor
Tutor

I received an update to my trouble ticket stating, "I have narrowed down your issue to what seems to be a hardware problem on the D7000." it also indicated that I will receive an RMA.  

Message 23 of 76
markenz
Guide

Hello r7H

Thank you for the update.

The symptoms are definitely easy to explain by a processor lock up and I would have thought that it would be easy enough to enable a watchdog to correct this. Many processors include a watchdog timer in which case, a small change to the firmware could correct this.

I am dissapointed that there really does not seem to be much activity in correcting what is obviously a not uncommon problem.

Message 24 of 76
r7H
Tutor
Tutor

My concern is that I will receive another device that has the same problem and ultimately have to but another vendor's device to avoid this.  A few hundred dollars wasted. We'll see. 

Message 25 of 76
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7