Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 dropout constantly cuts all devices off the network and won't allow them to rejoin

r7H
Tutor
Tutor

Re: D7000 dropout constantly cuts all devices off the network and won't allow them to rejoin

Correction .. Meant to type "buy a different vendor's device". 

Message 26 of 76
ejmakepeace
Aspirant

Re: D7000 dropout constantly cuts all devices off the network and won't allow them to rejoin

Hi all,

I am also having the same problems, the internet drops out (up to 3 times an hour), the lights are all solid white and all that fixes it is turning off and on again. Devices still connected to router but no internet access. Spoke to my ISP and after a lengthy diagnositics (including them sending out a supported TPG modem) they decided it was the netgear modem not the line that was the problem. Called netgear support and the problem improved for a few days after a factory reset but has now returned. Very disappointing as I previously owned the R7000 router which was fantastic but the D7000 is terrible. Have just lodged another support case online, awaiting a response.

Hopefully they can resolve this issue soon.

Edward 

Message 27 of 76
mickeyj28nz
Aspirant

Hi All

I have a similar issue with my d7000 but the difference is that my wifi is fine its only the hard wired coneections that lock up and freeze and i also don't have to cycle the power to reset any ideas. 

p.s sorry if this post is in the wrong section but this is my first ever post to anything like this,  thanks

Message 28 of 76
r7H
Tutor
Tutor

After going through the troubleshooting routines with the Netgear help desk they sent me an RMA.  After installing the new devices, it's been running for 2 days without problems.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have same problems as I did with the previous unit.

Message 29 of 76
NetProblems
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Did anyone get a resoultion to this through Netgear or did they just take it back for a refund?

Message 30 of 76
ha7
Aspirant
Aspirant

My D7000 is frozen every morning with the same symptions as already described. The kicker for me is I bought a Netgear N600 three months ago which experienced these exact problems too.  I bought the D7000 thinking it would fix the problem.  I still have 10 days to return and still get my money back.  As i have had two stinkers in a row, from different models, i don't have much choice but to look at other brands.

Message 31 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ha7

We did just release a new firmware for the D7000 that has a lot of fixes you may want to try that. If your still having issues its recommended to factory reset and then update the firmware then re configure the router.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/D7000#searchResults

DarrenM

Message 32 of 76
enghave65
Aspirant

All LEDs that have had connections are ON and are WHITE indicating that there is normal operation except that the LEDS do not flicker to indicate traffic, they are just constant ON.

The 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi channels still indicate as being active on the LEDs and can be seen by the PC, but it is not possible to make a connection to them.

It is not possible to make a connection to the router itself. If you use a browser to make a connection, it fails.

You can not go online to the router and reboot, the only way to unlock, is to cycle the power. I found that it usually took one power recycle to unlock the router so that I could then reconnect to the router, but I had to further re cycle the power or software reboot the router before it would connect to the internet.

I behaves as though the CPU in the router just goes to sleep, or gets tied in a knot and will not do anything at all.

The LEDs remain in their last state, the WiFi transmitters remain in their previous state, but there is zero communications in any port.

When I first installed, it ran well for a week or so, and then locked up. I reset and it ran for another week.

After that, it would run for anything from ten minutes to three or four hours, but never longer than that. Totally unreliable in terms of its purpose, but ultra reliable in terms of lock ups.

Provider Dodo in Australia.

I am about to smash the unit and stay away from netgear.

Message 33 of 76
sbdags
Aspirant

I am having the same problem. Had the router 3 weeks and it now drops every 30 mins to an hour. All wifi and hard connections drop. I'm really disappointed as it cost a lot of money. My old Asus was much better. What can I do?

Darren

Message 34 of 76
sucram
Aspirant

Pretty much tried everything here. Factory reset, reconnected devices. Nothing stays connected for long. Latest firmware fares no better. Thinking of going to trading standards, as this seems to be a common problem with this device. At £170 a pop, this device should at least work properly. It's like McDonalds running out of burgers.

It's not good.

Anyone got anywhere, anyone got there wifi working without RMA?

Message 35 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello sucram

At this point you may need a RMA if you tried factory reset, changing channels, Updating the firmware and have not seen any change.

DarrenM

Message 36 of 76
sucram
Aspirant

I gave it one more stab. Spent 2 hrs messing about, factory reset, etc. Now hasn't dropped for 2 days. So fingers crossed.
Message 37 of 76
omatsei
Aspirant

I just started having this problem after 6 months of no issues at all. It locked up twice in one day, before I went looking. I just upgraded the firmware to V1.0.0.32_1.0.1, and I hope that fixes it.

Message 38 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello omatsei

Let us know if that resolved it or not.

DarrenM

Message 39 of 76
omatsei
Aspirant

So far, so good. It's only been a couple days, but it hasn't dropped since I updated the firmware. I'll comment again if it happens again.

Message 40 of 76
Bat-n-Ball
Apprentice

Hello,

My modem/router is displaying the same problems.

During a lock-up, Wi-Fi devices and LAN devices all appear connected with white LED’s on the D7000 but there is no internet, however, I have observed some strange behaviour…

I sometimes use a TP-LINK router with DD-WTR firmware to connect to a VPN service through the D7000 (WAN out on the TP-LINK >> Ethernet port on the D7000). When the D7000 locks up, all Wi-Fi and LAN devices look connected but there isn’t any internet, however, the VPN connection is still working through the D7000 and I can browse the internet via the VPN!

I can sometimes (but not always) log into the web interface during a lock-up and I do not have to power cycle the unit to get internet back for my other devices. If I go to:

ADVANCED >> Connection Status >> Disconnect (wait a few seconds) >> Connect

… internet on all my devices comes back immediately and there seems to be no re-negotiation of the VDSL connection, unlike if I were to power cycle the router, which takes around 2 minutes.

If it helps identify the problem, there is a text document here with detailed stats on my D7000 and telnet data via debug mode. It largely seems to be connection data but it may be of some help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4EOonSia39DRFBBSHRsQXp6SnM/view?usp=sharing

Note the uptime says 21 hours even though I had a lock-up about 3 hours ago – probably due to me not having to power cycle the unit.

Hope this helps identify the problem and I wait in anticipation for a resolution.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 41 of 76
Bat-n-Ball
Apprentice

P.S.

In addition to the above, I mentioned that "I can sometimes (but not always) log into the web interface". This morning my D7000 was locked up and I noticed the following:

• I cannot log into the web interface with - www.routerlogin.net
  • I can log into the web interface with - 192.168.0.1

Kind regards,

Paul.

Message 42 of 76

Just a thought, but do you have several devices on your network trying to control the allocation of IP addresses?

I ask that because you refer to TP-LINK router and the D7000. It isn't clear to me if these are both on the network at the same time.

Check the settings for DHCP Server.

Message 43 of 76
Bat-n-Ball
Apprentice

I have the D7000 assign a static IP of 192.168.0.200 to the TP-LINK so I can access the TP-LINK GUI via the same IP.

The TP-LINK DHCP server is in the range 192.168.11.*** so it shouldn't (and doesn't) conflict with the D7000 but the D7000 locks up once or twice a day regardless of whether the TP-LINK is connected or not.

I was just offering some feedback which might be of use to the people who provide support/update the firmware and also to people simply wanting to access the GUI. If they were unable to access the GUI via www.routerlogin.net, they should try 192.168.0.1 but this info may (or may not) also be of use to the geeks at Netgear.

My D7000 is showing the same signs of disconnects as the other people here and I assume I will be seeking an RMA number as those folk have done but I will hold on for a month or so to see if a firmware update comes through to resolve this.

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Paul.

Message 44 of 76

@Bat-n-Ball wrote:
I was just offering some feedback which might be of use to the people who provide support/update the firmware and also to people simply wanting to access the GUI. If they were unable to access the GUI via www.routerlogin.net, they should try 192.168.0.1 but this info may (or may not) also be of use to the geeks at Netgear.

The "geeks" at Netgear, and some of us hangers on, sometimes have to grapple with the business of accessing the GUI. I know that isn't your point, but people have turned up here insisting that you must use 192.168.0.1 but it seems that some hardware ships with 192.168.1.1 as the interface address.

So usually the advice is to use www.routerlogin.net. But as you say, this sometimes falls over. Then it is down to delving into the entrails to see which address the GUI is on.

Sometimes it helps to use the Netgear Genie, the standalone thingy fore Windows not the GUI, which confusingly also calls itself the genie. That will show the URL in the network map. If, of course, the standalone genie is working! If not, then it is into Windows to find out what is going on.

Such fun.

Message 45 of 76
Bat-n-Ball
Apprentice

I did say try 192.168.0.1, not must use 192.168.0.1 🙂

A command window and 'ipconfig' in Windows reveals the Default Gateway IP address on the ethernet/wi-fi adapter, if it is connected.

Message 46 of 76

Like I said, I realised that wasn't your point. I was just reporting on things that people have said here.

Message 47 of 76
Bat-n-Ball
Apprentice

Hi DarrenM,

Do you have any updates on this issue and if there will be a potential solution via a firmware update?

I have tried all of the suggestions here, i.e. update firmware, factory defaults etc., and there is no change - my D7000 still looses internet connection maybe once or twice a day.

If I know there is a firmware update in the pipeline I will hold on, but if you are not aware of this issue being addressed directly, I would like an RMA.

Also, if the hardware is sent back to you, do you replace the item or issue a refund? If it's replaced, is it a different hardware board which does not exhibit this problem?

Kind regards,

Paul.

Message 48 of 76
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Bat-N-Ball

I have not heard about a firmware yet I will have to check on that but if you do believe its a bad unit and needs RMA you will have to contact support to have that done I will link where to do this.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 49 of 76
Bat-n-Ball
Apprentice

Hi DarrenM,

I may get a new unit quicker if I just replace it via Amazon where I bought it from, but thank you for taking the time to reply 🙂

I will report back here if the replacement exhibits the same issue or not.

Paul.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 50 of 76
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7