Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 dropping internet connection

Martin1980
Aspirant

D7000 dropping internet connection

Hi all, ive had my D7000 since September and have had absolutely no problems with it until yesterday where every 15 minutes or so i would lose internet connection to my devices (the white LED on my router changes to orange). After a bit of digging around it appears that it is being caused by my IPTV youview box, It seems to be hogging all of the internet traffic as that is the only thing that works when i lose the connection. By disabling the IPTV bridging mode my router seems to behave itself. Unfortunately that means i am unable to watch IPTV channels on my youview box. The strange thing is why has it been ok since September but now i have problems. No settings have been altered since the original setup. Thanks in advance for any help

Martin.

Message 1 of 19
Martin1980
Aspirant

When i looked at the settings i had in, Internet was set to VLAN ID 101 Priority 2, and IPTV was set to VLAN 101 Prority 2, will that be the issue? Does the IPTV need to be set to a different VLAN ID?

Martin

Message 2 of 19
GLVSantaFe
Aspirant

I have had a similar problem with the D7000 dropping its DSL connection to the internet.  This requires multiple re-boots of the router to re-establish a connection.  I have installed the most recent firmware update yesterday 1/6/16 without any improvement.

Message 3 of 19
rosivison
Aspirant

Hi,

I have had exactly the same problem.  I have had exactly the same problem with this router and wonder what is going on and whetehr there is any solution?

I purchased it a few days ago and had difficulty setting it up with a Plusnet fiber connection.  Initially, it would not pick up a connection at all and it kept telling me that I had no DSL cable plugged in, which I did.  I then changed the setting to ADSL, even though I have VDSL and it seemed to pick up a connection and it has been intermittent since then.  Connection keeps dropping and I have had to re-boot numerous times.

I was out this afternoon and the connection had dropped when I returned and it took about 20 mins of re-booting to re-establish a connection and then I lost it again.

In desperation i have now had to change back to my original BT HomeHub 5 to get a stable connection that I know will not drop all the time.

I am using PlusNet and I just wonder what bits I have filled in incorrectly to cause it to drop all the time?  This does not happen with the BT HomeHub 5, so why with Netgear?  I have always found them to be veyr good routers and I wonder what is happening?

Any solutions?

Thanks

Message 4 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello rosivison

We just released a new firmware for the D7000 it had alot of fixes in it you may want to try and see if this helps your issues. If not then you may want to factory reset the modem then reload the firmware and then configure everything else.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/D7000#searchResults

DarrenM

Message 5 of 19
Martin1980
Aspirant

Hi, I downloaded the latest firmware and installed last night, fixed the issues i was having with talktalk tv. Many Thanks!

Message 6 of 19
amhey
Aspirant

I hope this fixes mine too - I just installed the new upgrade. Prior to that I had to take out the DSL filter on my line then it was fine - means I can't use the phone on the line but given I have other phones this is not a problem (it's on a fax line and we rarely use the phone for faxing).  I am not going to put the DSL filter (I actually tried various DSL filters - VDSL, ADSL, etc) back to test it as I cannot afford time to do more debugging and it's been working fine without the filter.

Message 7 of 19
Jandasmith
Aspirant

My D7000 has been dropping internet configuration and working with Netgear help desk, I have factory reset, tried all the availalbe firmware versions including the latest but still no joy 'complex issue and been raised to the next level of support' all gone quite and awaiting their response!

Message 8 of 19
amhey
Aspirant

I tested my router with an Apple formatted backup drive. The smaller drive works fine to backup my old MacBook. A newer 3TB disc partitioned into 3 - 2 Mac partitions, and 1 PC partition causes the router to crash. It doesn't seem to support multiple partitions with Macs. My idea was to have a partition for each computer. Needs fixing by Netgear.
Message 9 of 19
Jandasmith
Aspirant

Stange I have the same issue but was asked to install an older version of firmware? This still didn't work so have been told that they will get back to me? Still waiting!

Message 10 of 19
amhey
Aspirant

My workaround was not to plug in the new drive!  I just plug it directly into my Mac and use the older smaller drive.  I suspect it may only have 32-bit addressing.

Message 11 of 19
ANGELAM27
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue and am OVER IT, did anyone get any answers from Netgear?? I'm having to reboot this piece of crap hourly at the moment!!

Message 12 of 19
amhey
Aspirant

Sometimes a sleeping device - like Kindle Fire - sleeps and wakes up. Meanwhile something else got its IP number causing network confusion when DHCP gives 2 devices the same number. In the past with other Netgear routers I gave some devices fixed IP numbers and this fixes things. Still have to do this for my D7000.
Message 13 of 19
amhey
Aspirant

Message 14 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello amhey

What firmware version are you on?

DarrenM

Message 15 of 19
Squuiid
Luminary

I have tried every firmware since the launch of this device, and reset to factory defaults each time I upgraded, and it has NEVER been able to hold a stable connection. Netgear have been no help at all and seem incapable of releasing stable firmware for this device.
I have now switched back to the BT Honehub which works perfectly and doesn't ever drop the connection.
Message 16 of 19
clithes
Prodigy

Ive just posted this as an answer to a similar issue.  Constant connection drops and needing to reboot could be down to an incorrect value in MTU

Pretty good guide here:

http://www.tp-link.us/FAQ-190.html 

Hope this helps

Message 17 of 19
Pelcw1
Aspirant

Message 18 of 19
kapoorm
Aspirant

Hi there

I have sort of similar issue. I have got new VDSL2 connection and provider has sent me their own pre-configured modem router (Huawei HG659 ). Previously I was using Netgear D7000 for adsl+2. Since I received this pre config Huawei HG659, I'm using this device as only modem (wifi is switched off ) and have start using my D7000 as router (connected via ethernet cable to WLAN). The day i did this above, I have also updated the firmware of D7000 and since then I'm having lots of trouble with this very unstable wifi connection to all of my devices. surprisingly sometimes only guest wifi work and other times 5ghz. No idea what to do and why this is happening. I have installed advance IP search software on my computer and this software is only showing hard wire connection (which are connected with Huawei HG659), although my computer was connected with D7000 wifi guest connection. Ihave also noticed that when I logged into Huawei HG659 I can see the IP's of all connected devices but non of them getting any internet connection. I have rest the D7000 two times and the problem is same. Since last night I can't even log into D7000 via wifi even though  I was able to log into Huawei HG659 using same D7000 wifi (guest connection).

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7