Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 firmware 1.0.1.44 to forget

Retired_Member
Not applicable

D7000 firmware 1.0.1.44 to forget

Hello, after the upgrade to the latest firmware (in the subject) one day I had my Internet completely down, I have to switch off and back on to fix it.

The day after the 5GHz Wi-Fi is stuck, the led is on but no signal at all around. Same procedure: modem off and then on

I'll switch back to the firmware .32, the latest known without problems

For the future, please, when you fix something in a new release, don't destroy what was working before!!!! 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hard reset in not useful.

In addiction, the 5 GHz channel is a cold soap: in 10 meters TV and phones loose connection or they are connected but there is no data transmission.

I think this is my last Netgear product after years as an happy customer

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 19

All Replies
williamyzfr1
Guide

After the previous broken iteration of firmware I was happy to install 1.0.1.44 and thus far have had no issues with it.

Message 2 of 19
martd74
Aspirant

I have had nothing but trouble with this router since the first week. I would have to initiate a hard reboot every couple of days to reset the 2.4ghz connection! 

Since this firmware update it simply cannot hold onto the internet. The best it has achieved is around 12 hours!!

What on earth has happened with this firmware to cause this kind of issue?

I shall be returning this as soon as I can - but i certainly wont be paying for postage to return an item that isn't fit for purpose!

Disappointed is an understatement!!

Message 3 of 19
williamyzfr1
Guide

Whilst I undrerstand your issue I paid £160 to upgrade my ISP supplied router and am currently experiencing no firmware issues.

Message 4 of 19
martd74
Aspirant

Thats great williamyzfr1, and i'm pleased for you. However I paid £160 to upgrade from my ISP router and i've now reverted back to using the crappy supplied router because its the only way I can stay online for more than an hour!

Message 5 of 19
Graphicomp
Aspirant

...after having upgraded to that firmware from 42, the throughput of 2.4g and 5g dropped down drammatically... I cannot go over 260mbs for both... In the past I was able to "see" more than 1000mbs for 5g...

My EX7000 extender is no longer usable... (fastlane 5g to the router and 2,4g to devices).

I installed back the 42 FW but unfortunately nothing changes... Someone is talking about a factory reset after the downgrade but I'm worry that something doesn't work... At the moment I need the ADSL connection is working... I hope Netgear fix the problem as soon.

Cheers,

Danilo Belardinelli

Message 6 of 19

Someone is talking about a factory reset after the downgrade but I'm worry that something doesn't work... At the moment I need the ADSL connection is working... I hope Netgear fix the problem as soon.

People are saying that because it is a good idea to perform a factory reset if you have flashed new firmware and you see problems.

The new firmware may have changed things in ways that are not compatible with your old settings.

If the reset does not work, then you may have to go back to the earlier firmware. You can download a copy from the support pages for your hardware ands then apply the firmware locally.

Message 7 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Time ago also the Netgear instructions state to do a reset after a firmware upgrade.

If now it's no more instructed by Netgear, this left to suppose they improve the hardware and software so much to void the reset, especially for the very boring procedure to re-configure everything back (also a config backup restore was not suggested if it was created with another firmware)

Infact, after a downgrade to the .32 version, it is working fine without any reset Smiley Wink

If the reset is so important, I think Netgear can never remove that step from their firmware update procedure.... 

Message 8 of 19
sk8tz
Aspirant

Thanks, have the same problems as veryone else here with the nighthawk.

But dont feel like downgrading, are there any other options.

Message 9 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ok, one option is to waste it and buy something different, and the other options?

Message 10 of 19

@andyzan wrote:
If the reset is so important, I think Netgear can never remove that step from their firmware update procedure.... 

It isn't always necessary. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It probably depends on what Netgear has done under the hood.

My strategy is to:

• save (backup) settings
  • flash firmware

If that works and you see no problems, great. If not, and something doesn't work, you may have to reset the device to the default settings:

• set to factory settings
  • retrieve settings from backup

If that works and you see no problems, problem fixed! If not:

• set to factory settings.
  • reconfigure everything

If that fails, then I fear that you may have to flash back to earlier firmware.

Message 11 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In addiction, the 5 GHz channel is a cold soap: in 10 meters TV and phones loose connection or they are connected but there is no data transmission.

I think this is my last Netgear product after years as an happy customer

Cheers

Message 12 of 19

@andyzan wrote:

I think you mean hard reset does not work.

See above.

Message 13 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, sorry.

It doesn't work, so it's not useful

Message 14 of 19
CodeWarMonkey
Aspirant

If I power cycle the router, I lose my DSL set up. If I plug-in an external hard drive to the router, this action completely locks up the router. Both of these were solid before. I regret ever upgrading to this horrible mess of a firmware release.

Message 15 of 19

Tried rolling back to the previous firmware yet?

Message 16 of 19
warrenbuckley
Aspirant

I am just posting to join the discussion & chime in too that I am having flaky/intermittent problems with this firmware where I have to power cycle the router as the WIFI channels dissapear alltogether, but any devices connected via ethernet & thus via a switch all seem to have an internet conenction out just fine.

Wanted to post on here, so I can keep track of any possible solutions or hear about possible firmware upgrades by getting an email reply.

After hearing some news via Engadget about this I am not so confident as NetGear as a brand at the moment
https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/14/netgear-vulnerable-routers/

Seems the D700 ADSL Router is not affected by it, but it did have me worndering about quality. 

Message 17 of 19
sk8tz
Aspirant

I have reverted back to v1.0.1.42_1.0.1 on my D7000, everything stable against.
Message 18 of 19
CodeWarMonkey
Aspirant

I also downgraded to 1.0.1.42 and everything is working so much better. I couldn't get external access to work with my Plex server with 44. Plex started working once I switched to 1.0.1.42. The update notes for 1.0.1.44 are not accurate. Much more has changed besides a few minor GUI changes.

My recommendation: Don't install 1.0.1.44. If you have, upgrade (or downgrade) to 1.0.1.42.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7