Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 is not connecting... Please help!

Jessy30
Aspirant

D7000 is not connecting... Please help!

I bought a nighthawk d7000 and could not get it to connect. I thought it was my WiFi connection speed since it would take me to the router setup site but then would take forever with the configuration protocols and Internet detection settings yet would still take me through the steps. I had a tech out who confirmed that it was 11mbs into the house and out to the router. I called netgear who told me (incorrectly) that I needed to have the account information provided by my isp provider. I called them and they told me I was not running a pppoe and thus did not need it. I called netgear back and they told me I needed to call my isp (for something) and then the call conviently dropped as the tech who was trying to tell me what to do clearly had no idea what she was doing.

It seems that somehow I probably need to configure the DHCP settings and maybe manually assign a ip address but honestly I am new to this and have very little idea as to what I am doing.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Jessy30
Aspirant

Re: D7000 is not connecting... Please help!

It most likely doesn't make sense because I had/have no idea what I am doing. Thank you for your response. I did get it working but only after spending hours bouncing back and forth between netgear and my isp.

In the end the router had to be configured to "type of Internet" to equal adsl and the ip address was set to "use my computer." this finally got all lights lit white.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Jessy30
Aspirant

Lol..reading some of the other threads I think I have made a mistake in trying this router at all... Might be time to return it and try something else
Message 2 of 7

@Jessy30 wrote:

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, I can't unravel your message to see what might be going wrong/

There are people around here who are much brighter than I am, so they may get the point but what do you mean by:

@Jessy30 wrote:
I bought a nighthawk d7000 and could not get it to connect.

Connect to what? My first thought was that you can't connect to the internet, but your next sentence talks about wifi.

You have to get on to the internet before your wifi will work. And you won't be able to use the wifi to set up the router because, er, you haven't set it up yet. In any case wifi is a bad idea for tweaking a modem.

The way to set up a router is with a wired connection from a PC into the modem/router.

There's plenty of guidance on how to set things up in the manual for this box:

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7000 User Manual - D7000_UM_EN.pdf

I'm not sure about the "account information" you talk about. The modem has to know how to login to the system somehow. You may not need a password, I don't on my system, but you'll have to provide some information if the Netgear wizard can't do it automatically.

Tell people who the ISP is and maybe a fellow customer can help you.

As I said, I find it hard to unravel what is going on at your end. so all of this may be irrelevant. If so, my apologies. Maybe a more clued up fellow user can step in with better advice.

Message 3 of 7
Jessy30
Aspirant

It most likely doesn't make sense because I had/have no idea what I am doing. Thank you for your response. I did get it working but only after spending hours bouncing back and forth between netgear and my isp.

In the end the router had to be configured to "type of Internet" to equal adsl and the ip address was set to "use my computer." this finally got all lights lit white.

Message 4 of 7

The wizard should have fixed that.

Message 5 of 7
Jessy30
Aspirant

Agreed... But the wizard simply did not work... I can't tell you the number of times I ran the wizard, both by myself and with support. In the end I had to manually configure it.

Interestingly this is the second d7000 I got...because I had the exact same issue with the wizard with the first one. I returned it thinking it was defective. When the second presented the same issue I figured it was not defective.

Message 6 of 7
Jessy30
Aspirant

I did not understand at the time I made this post that I was only connecting to my router. I had no idea the router could run (what looked to me like) a web page. In hindsight it is glaringly obvious. So when the wizard was taking 5 minutes for the first step and ten for the second and then never completing anything after that I assumed it had a limited Internet connection which would let me configure the router at the webpage I thought I was on.. Haha
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7