Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 modem/router as bridge for centurylink modem

Eyespyguy
Aspirant

D7000 modem/router as bridge for centurylink modem

My D7000 used to work very well with Centurylink 40mbps but now that I've upgraded to the 100mbps plan it no longer functions because the new speed is pair bonded.  My question is, can I somehow disable the modem function on the D7000 and maintain the nighthawk D7000 as a wi fi router and then disable the wi fi on whatever centurylink modem I get?  I haven't received the new centurylink modem yet but I would really prefer to keep the nighthawk wi fi because it gets excellent range throughout my house.  I'm thinking I'll need to set the nighthawk as a bridge somehow but I'm just wondering if this is even possible with the D7000 version that is both a modem and router.  Thanks

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7000 modem/router as bridge for centurylink modem

Is the century link modem have a built in router? if so does it have a modem only mode? it could be a double DHCP issue.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 17

All Replies
badhowe
Tutor

I am experiencing the same issue where I upgraded my service from 12 MBps to 40 MBps and I cannot connect my Nighthawk router to the network.  Before I upgraded, it worked very well.  I have placed the centurylink modem into transparent mode and checked my nighthawk router and I see the internet light lit and when I check the centurylink modem, I see packets going across the network through the WAN/LAN port, but I cannot get any internet service.  I am connected to the WAN/LAN port on the centurylink router and into the INTERNET port on my nighthawk router.  Do I need a crossover cable to make it work?

I also noticed that when I checked the centurylink modem, both DSL lines were connected and the internet was connected.  If I have the internet connected, do I need to have PPPoE enabled on my nighthawk router?  I believe I would not have internet service if I had not authenticated with the centurylink server

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 2 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you made sure the D7000 is only using the Wan port?

To change the WAN connection preference:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network.

2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. A login window opens.

3. Enter the modem router user name and password. The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive. The BASIC Home page displays.

4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup. The WAN Setup page displays.

5. From the WAN Preference menu, select one of the following options:

• Auto-Detect. The modem router automatically detects whether the WAN connection is DSL over the DLS port or Ethernet over the Internet port. Auto-Detect is the default setting.

• Must use DSL WAN. The modem router uses the DSL port for a DSL WAN connection. The Internet port is shut down.

• Must use Ethernet WAN. The modem router uses the Internet port for an Ethernet WAN connection. The DSL port is shut down.

6. Click the Apply button.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 17
badhowe
Tutor

Darren,

I tried the suggestion that you recommended but it did not work.  I connect the nighthawk router to the centurylink modem through the WAN/LAN port and connnect it to the internet port on the nighthawk router.  I use my VoiP phone as a test to see if the internet is up but I never get the service to come up.  I monitor the WAN/LAN port in the centurylink modem and I see packets going across but no TX or RX data rates appear.

Appreciate the support

Badhowe

Message 4 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Is the century link modem have a built in router? if so does it have a modem only mode? it could be a double DHCP issue.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 17
Eyespyguy
Aspirant

My router is an Actiontec C1900A if that helps.  I'm not understanding where bridge connection should go.  Does an ethernet cable go from the WAN port of the Actiontec to the Internet Port of the D7000 or should it go to one of the ethernet ports.  I'm a little green at this.

Message 6 of 17
Eyespyguy
Aspirant

To answer the previous question, yes the Actiontec is a wireless router/modem just like the D7000.  As far as modem only mode I'm not sure.  I can disable the DHCP but I can't seem to find a place where to select modem only.  I'm assuming I should disable the wireless capability as well so that the D7000 can take over.   Would love a step by step run down of how to get this to work....otherwise look for a smoking deal on the nighthawk D7000 on ebay.  😉

Message 7 of 17
Eyespyguy
Aspirant

I can't get to the login page.  Should I take the centurylink modem offline for a moment so I can configure the D7000?  I get this message when I have WAN posrt of actiontec connected to internet port of D7000 "You are not connected to your Routers WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Routers WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

Message 8 of 17
badhowe
Tutor

The centurylink modem has both a modem and router.  I believe transparent bridging disables the router function but I am not sure.

Message 9 of 17
badhowe
Tutor

Darren,

GOOD NEWS!!!!

I was able to get the router to work with the centurylink modem.  You were correct in that it was a DHCP issue.  To troubleshoot the issue, I moved my desktop to the routers (I didn't have a laptop) and connected the centurylink modem WAN/LAN port to the NIghthawk D7000 internet port and turned Wi-Fi off on the centurylink modem.  Booted both of them up and logged into the Nighthawk D7000.  On the home page, I saw that the internet status was "not connected" and at the bottom of the box, I saw a link to troubleshoot the issue (don't remember what it said) and I clicked the link.  From there I ran the "basic setup" program and five minutes later, I was on the air through the NIghthawk router.  During the setup process the setup routine changed the NIghthawk IP subnet from 192.168.0.0 to 10.0.0.0.  It also asked me to check the DHCP and port forwarding but by the time I checked them it was running.

Thanks again and I hope this helps someone else solve their issue

badhowe

Message 10 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Eyespyguy

Check out page 31 in the manual.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000/D7000_UM_EN.pdf

DarrenM

Message 11 of 17
DaGipper
Aspirant

Darren,

Thank you for the information you provided. It really worked on the first try!!! So for those who need to know what I did here you go....

1) reset the Netgear to factory defaults. Admin and password are now the default login for your Netgear device. Do not connect any devices to the modem at this time.

2) disable the wireless on the centrylink modem

3) move the Ethernet cable that goes to the computer to the Netgear Ethernet port

4) connect another Ethernet cable from  the WAN/LAN on the centrylink modem to the internet port on the Netgear.

5) reboot both modems

6)login to your Netgear using routerlogin.net

7) use the default username and password. You can change this later.

😎 you will be asked a couple simple questions about you internet provider then the software will auto detect your setup

9) once the homepage for Netgear setup comes up you will notice your wireless has an error. Click on that error and the software will do the rest. It may take a couple more for this to complete.

DaGipper

Message 12 of 17
Eyespyguy
Aspirant

Instructions were good but lacking.  Did you disable DHCP, start a transparent bridge?  I still can't get this to work.

Message 13 of 17
badhowe
Tutor

I actually did nothing to the CenturyLink modem.    I don't run anything off the centurylink modem all wired/wireless items are on the NetGear D7000.  My NetGear Router WAN Preference is Must use Ethernet WAN

NETGEAR D7000 Settings:

Transfer Mode: ADSL(ATM)

DSL Mode:  Auto

Internet;  Enable this interface is checked.

Multiplexing method:  LLC based

VPI:  8

VCI:  35

VLANID: 201; Use VLANID is not checked; Priority is 0

Does your internet connection require a login:  NO

Account Name:   D7000

Internet IP Address:  Get dynamically from ISP is checked

IP Address:  192.168.0.5

Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0

IP Gateway:  192.168.0.1

CenturyLInk Wan Settings:

ISP Protocol:  PPPoE

PPP AutoConnect:  Enable

IP Addressing:  Dynamic IP

DNS type:  Dynamic DNS is checked

CenturyLink DHCP Settings:

DHCP Server State:  Enable

Modem IP Address:  192.168.0.1

Beginning DHCP Address:  192.168.0.2

Ending DHCP Address:  192.168.0.254

Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0

DHCP lease time:  1 day

Auto DHCP Reservation:  Disable

DHCP DNS type:  Default Server

Again, I did not change any settings on the CenturyLink modem.  All I did was run the "Basic Setup" on my D7000 router and everything worked.  I hope this information helps you solve your problem.

Badhowe

Message 14 of 17
DaGipper
Aspirant

I did not disable anything but the wireless service on the centrylink modem. I later went back and enabled the wireless service later. There is a post with detailed perameters after my post. I now have both the centrylink and the netgear wireless services functioning.  

Message 15 of 17
Eyespyguy
Aspirant

It was the PPPOE that was throwing me.  Thanks for all the help.  I'm up and running now 🙂

Message 16 of 17
badhowe
Tutor

Good to hear  Enjoy

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements