Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 not connecting to internet after relocation

Paivi
Aspirant

D7000 not connecting to internet after relocation

Hi there,

We moved our D7000 modem router from one room to another and now it won't connect to internet at all anymore. I have spoken with our ISP and everything is fine at their end. I have logged into the modem and reset our ISP login & password, and the ISP has done the same, with no effect. The phone line has been tested, it's ok. I have swapped cables to make sure they are not faulty. I have moved the modem back to the old location, but now it won't work there either.

Wifi seems to be ok, and all our devices (phones, tablets, computer) recognise the wireless network and the modem, but there is just no internet connection. It's bizzarre! Nothing has changed, there is no new hardware, no updates or upgrades, the ISP is still the same, the only thing that's different is the location, within the same house.

The lights on the modem router are as follows:

Power - white

Internet - amber

DSL - off

Wifis - white

Any ideas at all that I could try still to make it work? Should I do factory reset on it? What could be causing this? Moving a modem should not make it stop working. We've only had it since November so it's not even old, and it's been working fine until now.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Paivi

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Paivi
Aspirant

Re: D7000 not connecting to internet after relocation

Hi there,

It's been a while now but I thought I'd update this for anyone interested or experiencing the same issue as we did.

After weeks of back and forth with the ISP, and trying out and testing anything and everything we could think of, including replacing the D7000 in the store under warranty (not just once but twice), and nothing helping, the ISP finally lodged a fault for us and sent a tec out. And what do we know? There was a fault in the Telstra exchange that he found, and that caused our internet connection to fail. After that was fixed, we were back online again. The line still drops out here and there and the phone line is crackly, but at least we are connected.

And now I am fighting with the ISP for refund for all those weeks we were disconnected while they refused to lodge a fault for us and have someone come out. Time for a new ISP, I think!

Hopefully this helps anyone else struggling with the same problem out there.

Thanks,

Paivi

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Paivi

Did you hook the dsl filter with the D7000 it could be to much noise on that outlet. And have you taken the modem back to the old outlet to see if it still works in that room?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
Paivi
Aspirant

Some more information.

This is a Nighthawk AC1900 Modem Router model D7000 (not sure why it didn't save that up top?).

I am running Win7 and Win8 on my computers.

I performed a factory reset this morning, to no effect, the problem is still there. The Netgear Genie says there is no DSL cable inserted, yet the cable is there and plugged into the wall socket.

I have tried swapping cables, disconnecting the phones, trying to plug the DSL cable of the D7000 into the wall socket with and without the micro filter, also in different wall sockets in the house, nothing works.

I called the Netgear support line, only to be answered by an Indian girl with such a heavy accent I could barely understand what she was saying, and then being told I would need to pay $90 for her to help me. I think that is outrageous as the product is still under warranty and there doen't seem to be a way to find the answer online or in the user manual.

If someone could help, please, that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

Message 3 of 10
Paivi
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

Thank you for replying!

Yes, I have tried both with and without the filter. Also with different phone cables that I tested with the phone to make sure they work. I moved the D7000 back to the old location as well, and did all of the above there, but there is still no signal coming through the DSL line (no lights and Netgear Genie says there is no DSL cable plugged in) and the internet light remains amber. I also disconnected the phone, to no effect.

I also performed factory reset this morning but that did nothing, the problem is still there.

Paivi

Message 4 of 10
dchen6617
Initiate

the same with u,can someone can help us?
Message 5 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Paivi and Dchen6617

Are you able to contact your ISP and ask the exact type of DSL connection you have I know that a bunch of upgrades have been happening in Australia with the Internet structure and it has been causing issues with our modems. The more info we can find out the better our engineers are looking into these issues.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 10
Paivi
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

Sorry for the delay in answering and thank you for helping!

Ours is a ADSL line. And no, the new NBN network upgrade that is happening around Australia has not reached our area yet.

There is something else perculiar that I just remembered, that makes me think something has happened to the modem settings or firmware. When I initially relocated the modem and turned it on, it didn't connect to internet, and that's when I placed a call with the ISP. They have a call back service which I used, and it took them almot 3 hours to get back to me. All that time the modem was on, and when the ISP finally called me back, the modem was actually, to my surprise, connected to internet. I could open web pages, email, etc. I told that to the help desk and they could see it in their end as well. For whatever reason, the tech at the help desk asked me to reboot the modem, I did that, and that's when I lost the connection, and it has never come back since.

I called the ISP again, they don't support Netgear, but they tried resetting the password etc, nothing worked. They then said they could perform a factory reset & power cycle from their end, however I didn't have the time at that point to get it done, so we left it at that.

Since then, I have performed factory reset using the paper clip method with the reset button at the back of the modem, few times actually, but that's all I know to do, so I seem to be stuck. The internet an DSL lights are not coming on white (DSL is totally blank, internet is amber).

Is there something more I can do? Should I let the ISP do the factory reset etc from their end? Or should I just take the modem back to the shop (it's still under warranty)?

Thanks,

Paivi

Message 7 of 10
dchen6617
Initiate

YES, my latop and phone is able to connect D7000. but the internet light is amber and unable to connect internet, other light is white, i tried everything i can do, the light still is amber. anyway, it's still under warranty, and i bought it from JB-HIFI in newzeland, should i bring it to the shop? waiting every one answers , many thx

Message 8 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Paivi

Yes I would have the ISP try to send some reboots to the modem to see what they can do but if its still not working I would contact netgear support to see if the unit needs replaced.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 10
Paivi
Aspirant

Hi there,

It's been a while now but I thought I'd update this for anyone interested or experiencing the same issue as we did.

After weeks of back and forth with the ISP, and trying out and testing anything and everything we could think of, including replacing the D7000 in the store under warranty (not just once but twice), and nothing helping, the ISP finally lodged a fault for us and sent a tec out. And what do we know? There was a fault in the Telstra exchange that he found, and that caused our internet connection to fail. After that was fixed, we were back online again. The line still drops out here and there and the phone line is crackly, but at least we are connected.

And now I am fighting with the ISP for refund for all those weeks we were disconnected while they refused to lodge a fault for us and have someone come out. Time for a new ISP, I think!

Hopefully this helps anyone else struggling with the same problem out there.

Thanks,

Paivi

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7