Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 schedule won't save any more following firmware update

BadSimian
Guide

D7000 schedule won't save any more following firmware update

I updated firmware recently to V1.0.1.64_1.0.1 and now the schedule values will not save. Which is to say if I put in a start time and end time then click Apply, the values are not persisted. It seems to then take the end time, put it in the start time and put 00 in the end time. Almost like it has started to get mixed up between the boxes. I have attached (hopefully) an animated gif showing this.

I have performed a full factory reset to see if the config got updated incorrectly and set up my router again from scratch (i.e. not restored from a config backup) but it has made no difference.

I forgot to add that I checked the system time was correct - the Netgear NTP server hasn't worked for some time for me to I changed to time.google.com and my router is showing the correct time so it isn't this.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
Liddy
Tutor

Re: D7000 schedule won't save any more following firmware update

When I say that I downloaded the firmware, I did this manually and installed it from the Netgear interface. I did backup my config but from memory I didn’t need to restore as the settings were preserved

Good luck

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 26

All Replies
Liddy
Tutor

I have exactly the same issue. I had to go back to firmware version xxxxxx.50 to get the scheduling funtion to start wirking again. As soon as i try to upgrade the firmware this issue returns.

Please can this be resolved aswhen working the scheduling function is excellent.

Message 2 of 26
tominwi
Luminary

FWIW I tried to set-up the Time of day blocks also, and it doesn't work. It seems I could get the router to Block Site e.g. google.com keeping the "every day all day" setting, so that works, but the TOD scheduling is obviously faulty.

I imagine the only way to get Netgear's attention is to open a support case.

Message 3 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

our test team could not reproduce the issue on their end the schedule feature works just fine. Have you tried different browser and also have you tried resetting the device to factory or clearing browser cache?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 26
BadSimian
Guide

I have already done a factory reset as part of my original investigation but it made no difference. I have tried the following browsers:-

Chrome on Mac OS

Safaru on Mac OS

Chrome on Windows 10

Edge on Windows 10

All show the same behaviour, tried private browsing sessions too and cleared cache.

Message 5 of 26
BadSimian
Guide

If I debug in Chrome I can see a form POST with the following values being posted :-

checkboxNameAll=checkboxNameAll&starthour=19&startminute=30&endhour=07&endminute=00&h_checkboxNameAll=enable&h_checkboxNameSun=enable&h_checkboxNameMon=enable&h_checkboxNameTue=enable&h_checkboxNameWed=enable&h_checkboxNameThu=enable&h_checkboxNameFri=enable&h_checkboxNameSat=enable&h_checkboxNamehours=disable&todo=save&this_file=FW_schedule.htm&next_file=FW_schedule.htm&SID=

So it looks like the correct form values are in the post data

Message 6 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

Hi 

yes I have tried a different browser and have reset the router to factory defaults a number of times. When I go back to version .50 of the firmware everything starts to work again. As soon as I go through the update process the problem reappears. One of the main reasons that I bought the router was to keep teenage kids off the internet at night and so I’m currently running on the older firmware.

As somebody who works in the cyber field I don’t like running with known issues within the firmware. I’m happy to share my config with netgear If needed.

Thanks

Message 7 of 26
tominwi
Luminary

I too had tried several browsers and Scheduling is clearly broken.

Message 8 of 26
BadSimian
Guide

Can we get more feedback on this please. It’s affecting multiple users. How can we provide more info to aid investigation?
Message 9 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

I completely agree. 

Netgear Support - What do we have to do to resolve this issue? I'm a big supporter of Netgear products but I'm starting to wonder if I should look elsewhere next time. If you want to send me another router I'm happy to send mine for analysis. This is a real issue with multiple people experiencing the same thing. Please help 1 

Message 10 of 26
Peerieish
Aspirant

I too am having this issue, it started when I updated to the latest patch. I've tried several different browsers, on Android and PC, to no avail, exactly the same symptoms.

It's becoming annoying now as I have to manually change settings for teenage son, and woe betide me if I forget to set them back again in the morning.

Please can you get this sorted, netgear, it's obviously affecting more people than you realise.
Message 11 of 26
CaptainKlunge
Aspirant

We have exactly the same issue with the D7000 with V1.0.1.64_1.0.1 firmware when trying to enter a time into the Start and End fields in the Schedule page.  On clicking the Apply button the entered end time swaps places with the start times. A second click on the Apply button and the times in both Start and End fields revert to null values. We have reset and rebooted the router. We have also tried creating a back up configuration file and manually edited this with scheduling data copied from an earlier pre-upgrade backup file and restoring settings from this edited file but it made no difference; the updated settings were not recognised. We have used Chrome, Firefox and Safari on both Macs and PCs and yet still have the same problem.

To be frank, this issue is a real show stopper for us and many others who want to restrict users on the network to having access to designated sites at certain times. This new firmware version renders this Netgear product useless for our purposes. Come on Netgear - sort this out for your customers.

Message 12 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

Hi

there are multiple people on this thread all experiencing the same issue. It clearly is an real problem and so how can we get this resolved ? I’m happy to swap my router with one provided by Netgear if this helps to find an answer.

Message 13 of 26
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I would say that since Netgear says they can't reproduce the problem even though there are several people reporting this failure of being able to set up schedules that it brings into question Netgears' capability to test and debug their own devices. I would recommend you return the device as "not fit for purpose" and get a different brand modem/router.

Message 14 of 26
BadSimian
Guide

So given the R7000 is susceptible to the "VPNFilter" security vulnerability and AFAIK the D7000 is thr R7000 with a modem added there is a chance that staying on the older firmware to have working scheduling will leave us susceptible to this issue. 

Will Netgear respond please?

Message 15 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

I’ve finally reached the stage where I have given up on Netgear even acknowledging that there is a firmware issue with this router.

The software update introduced this problem and there appears to be no interest from Netgear to resolve it. I have downgraded the firmware to allow the scheduling feature to work but this leaves me vulnerable to recent patched issues.

Can anybody recommend another router (not a Netgear) that will give me a reliable scheduling / access control  to keep the kids off the web at night !

Message 16 of 26
G-a-t
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue too.  I am using v1.0.1.64_1.0.1

It seems like this problem has been around for a while. Are Netgear going to fix it or just continue to pi@@ off many of its customers?

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 17 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

Hi

The strange thing is that I downloaded the latest firmware version and it finally fixed my problem!

Good luck and hope the latest version fixes your problem

Message 18 of 26
antinode
Guru

> [...] I downloaded the latest firmware version and it finally fixed my
> problem!

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "the latest" today.

Message 19 of 26
G-a-t
Aspirant

Looks like there is a v1.0.1.68 on the website. However, when I check for upgrades from within the router's firmware upgrade page (v1.0.1.64) it states that no updates are available.

Message 20 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

I’m out of the country on holiday and so don’t have access to the exact firmware version. However I had this problem for many months and continually upgraded to the latest version without success. The fault then changed slightly when the software update feature stopped working saying that there wasn’t a new version (when a later version had been released) At this point I downloaded the most recent firmware version, installed it and the problem was fixed. I had tried this with earlier firmware versions without luck.

When I get home next week I can post the actual firmware version

Message 21 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

When I say that I downloaded the firmware, I did this manually and installed it from the Netgear interface. I did backup my config but from memory I didn’t need to restore as the settings were preserved

Good luck

Message 22 of 26
BadSimian
Guide

Message 23 of 26
Liddy
Tutor

As I’m away on holiday I don’t have the version number. I will post it next week when I get back

Message 24 of 26
BadSimian
Guide

I can confirm that this is now resolved with V1.0.1.68_1.0.1 that I downloaded directly from Netgear then manually upload through the router web interface.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.1.68

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7