Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 with Sky Fibre

RockDodger
Initiate

D7000 with Sky Fibre

Hi all,

Just wanted to write a quick updated post as there are a lot of confusing posts on here and also on sky forum.

I recently upgraded to sky fibre and got the Sky Q hub. Could only ever get a max download of 6mb/s download through wifi even though there was 50mb in the router.

So bought the D7000 to improve wifi speeds in the house. Sky now allow third party routers. Heres how I got mine working.

Initially use wireshark to extract username and password from current sky router. This needs to be wired connection to the router, select ethernet port within wireshark and start capturing. Then reboot the sky router. Then wait until the router connects and then you can stop capturing in wireshark. In the filter box type udp.port==67 and then click the blue arrow to the right.

This will load DHCP entries, select the discover option, then in the below field search for client 61 identifier. Select this and right click and copy as printable text. Paste this in notepad. Shpuld be something like =1122334455667788@skydsl|aabbccdd
Make a note of this as you will need it minus the =

Then you can turn off the sky router and unplug DSL cable. Set up the netgear router as instructed. Turn on and connect it to your pc.

Then once its booted up it will have a solid DSL light and a red internet light. In your web browser go to routerlogin.net and this should load the genie

Select UK and Sky, click advanced options and select VDSL. Next. Then it will ask for VLAN ID enter 101 and next. This will detect your internet connection. It will prompt you for your client 61 string. Enter your username and password as 1 full entry including the | and then next. This will then set up your connection for you. Just be patient with it whilst it sorts everything out for you.

This got me up and running without having to piggy back the netgear on to the sky q hub.

Hope this helps as I spent a lot of time researching the other posts. Not sure about other third party routers either so would not be able to help you out I'm afraid.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
RockDodger
Initiate

When they allow third party routers they still dont support them or provide you with the information but equipment (provided its compatible MER/Option 61) then it will work. I just got the username to be on the safe side but apparently you can use any random username and password provided that it's in the right format and string length.

How do I mark it solved?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

Wow. Neat account. Let's hope people find it.

To make that easier it should be flagged as Solved. Then it will appear more prominently in a Community search.

One question. You say:

@RockDodger wrote:
Sky now allow third party routers.

If Sky allows that, who do users have to jump through hoops to "extract username and password"?

If you can use whatever hardware you like, shouldn't Sky provide that information? Or is it just playing silly buggers?

Message 2 of 4
RockDodger
Initiate

When they allow third party routers they still dont support them or provide you with the information but equipment (provided its compatible MER/Option 61) then it will work. I just got the username to be on the safe side but apparently you can use any random username and password provided that it's in the right format and string length.

How do I mark it solved?
Message 3 of 4

@RockDodger wrote:
How do I mark it solved?

Done.

@RockDodger wrote:

More good feedback.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7