Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 with V1.0.1.70 problems post-reboot

bl1085
Tutor

D7000 with V1.0.1.70 problems post-reboot

Hello I have had a D7000 for approaching 2 years. Generally the basic DSL and network routing functions work very well. I also have an EX7000 and an EX7300 extender. I have a timer setup to reboot this router each morning so I get a different IP address each day - a tip from a network security professional. From time to time I see intermittent non-critical errors post-reboot, including - cannot connect to the router via HTTP (it times out but it does answer ping) - HP printer attached to the USB ReadyShare port seen on some PC's but not others - one of the extenders does not have a WiFi connection to the D7000. These problems typically go away if I do another reboot of the D7000, but obviously that is not how things are supposed to work. I have a general perception that these issues were introduced by a recent firmware upgrade, but I have not (yet) conclusively proved this by backing down to an earlier firmware level. I note some other posts about ReadyShare with network attached storage not working well with recent firmware updates. I am also tempted to replace my HP USB printer (1112) with an HP network printer (2655) My perception is that not many Netgear customers are using ReadyShare with printers, and the capability may not be thoroughly retested with each new firmware release. Anyone else seen such issues? Any suggestions. Trying to decide if it is worth purchasing a post-warranty support contract and then logging a formal ticket with Netgear. thx Ben
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
bl1085
Tutor

Re: D7000 with V1.0.1.70 problems post-reboot

After considering different options, I have decided to upgrade to the ORBI system and stop using the discrete range extenders. thanks to all who responded!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies

What are you trying to sort out here?

Is this the key bit?

@bl1085 wrote:
Hello I have had a D7000 for approaching 2 years. Generally the basic DSL and network routing functions work very well. I also have an EX7000 and an EX7300 extender. I have a timer setup to reboot this router each morning so I get a different IP address each day - a tip from a network security professional.

Apart from wondering what the "security professional" is on about, the restart procedure can cause issues.

With several devices on a network, the order in which they start can be important. You don't want the extenders up and running before the modem/router.

I know this from bitter experience. When I had a modem/router in modem-only mode in front of a router, the modem took so long to restart that the router beat it to it and failed to connect to the internet.

As I said, I don't really understand what your issue is. (Too many things going on in one solid slab of text.) This is just one observation based on bitter experience.

There is support for the various D7000 options, including manuals, somewhere at the end of these links:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

>>> D7000v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 2 of 7
bl1085
Tutor

I apologize for the difficult to read formatting.   It looked nicely formatted into paragraphs on my screen before I hit submit, but then became a solid stream hard to read.   I put a note to the moderator asking to delete it so I can repost it more legibly.

thx for your other comments - I will consider them.

Message 3 of 7
tominwi
Luminary

I don't know those particular Extenders but have used other types in the past and it seems they were problematic, so at a minimum you should stop rebooting every day and see if that helps any.

Message 4 of 7
bl1085
Tutor

After considering different options, I have decided to upgrade to the ORBI system and stop using the discrete range extenders. thanks to all who responded!
Message 5 of 7

@bl1085 wrote:

Orbi is certainly a good way of flooding an area with wifi, but first check that it provides all the features that you want. Things like USB and ReadyShare, for example.

And if you plan to use the D7000 as a modem, you will have to put it into modem-only mode or use the Orbi in AP mode. And that has its own implications.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I also ran into an unexpected snag when I ran a modem/router (D6400) in modem-only mode. After a power cut, the modem was too slow to get its connection, leaving the router stranded and no internet all round. Not good if it happens when you are away. In the end I replaced the D6400 with a DM200, an inexpensive modem only box.

Message 6 of 7
bl1085
Tutor

Thanks much for the tips. I bought a model of ORBI with a USB and ReadyShare support, and moved the USB printer from the D7000 to the ORBI. I set the D7000 to stay as the router, but I turned off both wireless antennas. I set the ORBI to access-point mode. Things are generally working well. 3 out of 4 PC's can see the printer on the ORBI. I plan to troubleshoot the 4th PC tomorrow, but basically I am happy with this path I have chosen. Seems to have several advantages compared with the extenders I used to have.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7