Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000V2 how to use openvpn on android to access local network

david128
Tutor

D7000V2 how to use openvpn on android to access local network

firmware of the D700V2 is V1.0.0.64_1.0.1

I've installed the openVPN client on my andriod phone, and setup openVPN on my D7000 according to the help guides

From my windows laptop running openvpn client (using mobile phone as wifi hotspot) I can access all my machines on the local network for the router

However, from my andriod smart phone when running openVPN client itself, I can't access most of the local machines - it seems to only allow access to one of my NAS drives (a Synology NAS)

I realise the laptop uses TAP (Bridging mode, and gets an IP in the local network range), so thats easy to understand

The android client uses TUN, which is on a different subnet to the local network (Routing mode) - and I can see it gets an IP in a different range to the local network

I don't see any route setup for the andriod connection, but I assume there must be one for it to work for at least one local machine

Equally, I don't understand why it only works with one machine

Can anyone explain how to setup openVPN for an andriod client to connect to any machine on the local network?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: D7000V2 how to use openvpn on android to access local network

@david128 wrote:

Can anyone explain how to setup openVPN for an andriod client to connect to any machine on the local network?

Probably not a question for Netgear. If this a router level issue, the section of the community for DSL modem/routers might not be the best place to ask.

Perhaps there is something useful in the archive:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – openVPN

Message 2 of 3
david128
Tutor

Re: D7000V2 how to use openvpn on android to access local network

I'm afraid this issue was raised back in 2016/17 - and it does appear to be a netgear issue

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-OpenVPN-Server-configuration-issue/td-p/11... 

I've asked in another post if this original issue has been resolved since then - but I strongly suspect it hasn't

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-OpenVPN-Server-configuration-issue-still-o... 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7