Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000V2 router - Android openvpn client problem accessing local network using VPN

david128
Tutor

D7000V2 router - Android openvpn client problem accessing local network using VPN

Hi there,

I'm trying to get my andriod/chrome book devices to remotely access both the local network & the internet via my D7000 router and VPN

I'm using the latest open VPN client on the android machines, and using the profile exported from the D7000, the vpn connects fine

The issue is that a web browser on the remote client can't connect to a web page on a Windows 10 machine on my local network (192.168.1.20:80), but confusingly it connects fine to a web page on a Synology NAS on the same network (192.168.1.22:80 & also connects to other services on that machine). The remote client cannot connect to anything on the internet either

I know the andriod client uses TUN, which I understand means that when on VPN it is on a different sub net to the local network (I see the IP of the client is 192.168.254.2)

I have the VPN set to 'local and internet'

The descriptions I've found online suggest it ought to provide access - I assume that for TUN it implements some implicit routing from the external client IP to the local network - but I can't find anything that explains that, nor any evidence in any of the menu options in the router - but maybe I just don't know where to look

I really don't understand why the remote client can access one local network machine but not the other - I would have expected 'all or nothing'

Can anyone help me out, and possible explain

1) why it's connecting to one local machine and not the other?

2) how do I fix it so the remote machine can fully access the local network & the internet

I have tried this on two android phones and a chromebook, with identical results

A windows 10 laptop I have, when connecting remotely vpn, can access all the local machines & the internet fine, but I realise it's connecting using TAP, which I understand it means it is actually member of the local network, so has direct access like any other local machine (I can see it gets a 192.168.1.x address)

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
david128
Tutor

Re: D7000V2 router - Android openvpn client problem accessing local network using VPN

Forgot to mention, firmware of the D700V2 is V1.0.0.64_1.0.1

Message 2 of 4
David_Haigh
Aspirant

Re: D7000V2 router - Android openvpn client problem accessing local network using VPN

Hi David,

You have got further than me, have the same Modem/Router and have setup a Dynamic DNS and then the Openvpn, but get an error on the OpenVPN connect. Which version of it are you using?

Also your Router firm ware is out as its upto 1.0.0.66 now.

Sorry I am unable to help on your issue as I haven't started on my NAS, tablet and phone setups yet. As I am still trying to sort this out.

Regards

David

Message 3 of 4
david128
Tutor

Hi David,

I'm using v11.15.0.0 on my windows 10 laptop - this uses TAP and seems to work ok

I do get the following entries in the log

Wed May 12 21:27:57 2021 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Wed May 12 21:28:26 2021 OpenVPN ROUTE: OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options
Wed May 12 21:28:26 2021 OpenVPN ROUTE: failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: 192.168.1.0
Wed May 12 21:28:27 2021 ROUTE: route addition failed using service: The parameter is incorrect. [status=87 if_index=12]
Wed May 12 21:28:27 2021 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this

But as it seems to work ok, I'm loath to start messing with the config files auto generated by the router, unless somethings broken

It's the Android setup thats not working as expected for me (although it does connect ok)

I realise the router has an update available, but it's not that long since I updated it, and I don't see anything (release notes or forum) that suggests it fixes anything with OpenVPN, I was hoping if there was, someone would mention it here - otherwise I've seen negative comments about update to 'latest' versions causing issues, so not keen to jump onto 'newest' version until the've had a chance to be tried first

Are you trying to use OpenVPN on windows, Android or IOS ?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7