Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v1 5.0Ghz channel dropping out. 2.4ghz runs fine

Ares0286
Aspirant

D7000v1 5.0Ghz channel dropping out. 2.4ghz runs fine

Ok, can't find any answers anywhere else, so here goes. I'm running a Nighthawk D7000v1 Firmware V1.0.1.70_1.0.1 and for the last 6+ months the 5Ghz network occasionally (2-3 times per week) drops my internet connection. The 2.4Ghz network runs like nothing is wrong. To restore the connection I need to disconnect and reconnect to my 5Ghz channel. I've tried factory reset with out success. Physically my router is only 2m away from my computer with direct LOS, no walls to impede the signal.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

The only device that uses my 5G is my R6700V2 configured in Bridge mode, providing Internet and other connectivity to my primary PC and Server and NAS devices.

The only times I have experienced loss of Internet: last spring it seemed my iOS devices were confusing the Netgear (on 2.4GHz) and I turned-off Beamforming and that problem went away. Also, I have had to reboot the Netgear a handful of times where the only thing I can point-to is that I'd been fiddling with VPN at the time, or most recently I had a lockup when trying to use GoToMeeting by Logmein.

So this is not much help to you I know, but you have to try to find some correlation with what you are doing when the dropouts occur.

IMO 2-3 times a week is A LOT so I would be very frustrated for sure--have you run your PC on 2.4GHz for weeks without issue? Is the computer's 5GHz capability fragile in any way (driver updates needed or ?)???

Message 2 of 9
Ares0286
Aspirant

I've played a little with the beamforming after a suggestion from a mate a month back, and it doesn't appear to have made a difference. I can't even pin point it to a particular program. It does it when browsing using Chrome, listening to Spotify and even playing some games (BFV & Fallout 76). My wireless 'card' is built into my Asus Z270-E mobo. From what I can see I'm running latest drivers. I've not had any issues at all with the 2.4Ghz channels. I was just hoping to have my PC on the 5Ghz as a dedicated high speed wifi for it alone.

Message 3 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

Are you broadcasting the SSID? You should not have it hidden.

If you do have another device that is 5GHz-capable, what I would do is switch the PC to 2.4GHz for the moment and then beat on the internet with your 5GHz devices. That at least might tell you it is the ASUS at issue and not the D7000.

Message 4 of 9
Ares0286
Aspirant

Ok, I'll give my deveices a good run one at a time and see what shows up for me. Also, yes my SSID is visible.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

Another discussion in here talks about "interference". I really don't know much about 5GHz band susceptibility to interference, but I suppose that's something else to keep a lookout for--some device or system in your residence that is switching on or off around the time your signal drops-out.

Of course, interference should not cause the router to be rebooted--I'm grasping at straws but that's sometimes what troubleshooting is about. 😞

Message 6 of 9
Ares0286
Aspirant

A mate suggested the interference idea a little while back. I checked the 5Ghz band using a wifi analyser and there are no other 5ghz channels within range, so that stuffed that idea. The router doesn't need a reboot to fix. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting the 5ghz channel fixes the issue. I don't know enough if it's a time out issue. I've looked at some of the settings but can't see anything standing out from that angle.
Message 7 of 9

Is it just one wifi client that loses 5GHz? If so, could it be a client issue?

I'd check the drivers for the on-board chip. Asus drivers will not show up in Windows update. So you need to get them from Asus, or the wifi chipset maker. (Asus is sloppy at keeping that stuff up to date.)

If this is a PC that doesn't move around the place, how about dumping wifi and going Powerline Ethernet? I know it doesn't "solve" the 5 GHz problem, but the idea of using wifi for fixed devices does not appeal. Ethernet is easier to set up and more reliable. Oh, and a lot faster for local traffic.

Message 8 of 9
Ares0286
Aspirant

Because it's been so random I haven't been able to confirm against another connection. That being said, my 2.4Ghz channel dropped a couple of times over the last few days so I'm thinking my D7000 is on it's death-throes. I've set up a TP-Link from my ISP for the mean time to see how that goes. If it runs fine for 3-4 weeks then I'll just go with dead D7000 and look at a suitable replacement.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7