Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v1 5GHz behaving abnormally after .78 FW and .80FW

mcrs969
Luminary

D7000v1 5GHz behaving abnormally after .78 FW and .80FW

Dear All,

My D7000v1 worked brillantly since its purchase date, after I made a technology upgrade to FTTH (D7000v1 was simply the best modem router on my FTTC) I used D7000v1 as test router or as main router in my holiday house.

It always worked well, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz always worked fine with Europe, 2.4GHz ch5 and 5GHz ch44.

One day I brought home the D7000v1, it worked fine, plugged it to my FTTH, speedtest via wifi was slightly above 550Mbps (which is good considering I was using a AC 866Mbps client) and then when I logged in the User Interface I've found the .78 FW was released.
Upgraded to .78FW and then 5GHz disappeared, but router showed it enabled:
- tried soft reset (from UI) -> no solution
- tried hard reset (with button) -> no solution
- tried all europe 5GHz combination channels (36,40,44,48) -> no solution
- tried Taiwan channel (153) -> working
- tried with preamble, wps, beanforming, all sort of WiFi related setting -> no solution
- tried downgrading maximum rate from "up to 1300Mbps" to "up to 600Mbps" -> 5GHz again visible...

So I went through the .78 FW release notes and found some fix were involving the 5GHz wifi,
- thought to repeat the upgrade .78- .78 -> no solution
downgraded to .74 -> solved the issue.

Then I decided to keep the .74 for some time, over those months everything was ok, till .80 came out... Upgraded to .80, same situation:
- downgraded to .74 -> 5GHz working after some trials (it was not straightforward as first downgrade)

This annoys me a bit because I'm quite confident it is not an HW thing but I don't want to renounce to the latest security fixes.

Has anyone experienced this? How can I solve it?
Of course D7000v1 is out of warranty so I can't ask to NETGEAR Italy support, but I'd love to hear your opinion on this and how can I fix the 5GHz at 1300Mbps (at 600 it works) without renouncing to latest FW.

Thanks to everyone for spending your time reading till here.
Michele

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: D7000v1 5GHz behaving abnormally after .78 FW and .80FW

@mcrs969 wrote:

My D7000v1 worked brillantly since its purchase date, after I made a technology upgrade to FTTH (D7000v1 was simply the best modem router on my FTTC) I used D7000v1 as test router or as main router in my holiday house.

You refer to the D7000v1, a device first launched six years ago, as a router. It is actually a DSL modem/router. You can bypass the  modem bit and use the thing as a router, but you will not get a device that is designed to match the best routers around.

FTTC can mean many things, depending on where you are. I am not familiar with Italian terminology. In the UK FTTC is fibre to the cabinet which usually means VDSL, where the top speed on the Internet is probably ~70 Mbps.

How fast is your Internet?

In most cases talk of wifi speed "slightly above 550 Mbps" is fanciful. Indeed, that speed is unlikely for many wifi clients and impossible for some, 2.4 GHz wifi simply can't got that fast.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

It is complicated, but the bottom line is that your wifi clients are probably the source of any bottlenecks.

Message 2 of 7
mcrs969
Luminary

Hi michaelkenward,

I apreciate your general overview but I believe that we need to narrow the situation down to some fix elements.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@mcrs969 wrote:

You refer to the D7000v1, a device first launched six years ago, as a router. It is actually a DSL modem/router. You can bypass the  modem bit and use the thing as a router, but you will not get a device that is designed to match the best routers around.

At the holiday house I have a LTE cat4 modem, coupled with my 4G sim card is capable of approx 120Mbps throughput in good periods, which means the D7000v1 as router (so with no DSL usage) is more than fine considering latencies of 4G and its maximum throughput, I could use a 25€ discount router just making sure that it is security updated and it would be fine too, performances at holiday house are not my problem but I want to understand if I'm dealing with an HW failure or a FW issue...

@michaelkenward wrote:

FTTC can mean many things, depending on where you are. I am not familiar with Italian terminology. In the UK FTTC is fibre to the cabinet which usually means VDSL, where the top speed on the Internet is probably ~70 Mbps.

When my D7000v1 was used as Main VDSL modem I have compared it against two models of "TIM Technicolor branded modem/router" and the Asus dsl-AC68U modem router, finding the BCM VDSL chip of the D7000v1 the best choice with my DSLAM, also gaining 2Mbps vs the D7800 VDSL chip. So with 17a profile and 250m from cabinet I was linking nearly full profile and speedtesting 100Mbps before the crosstalk of other activations (no vectoring in Italy, just few esperimental locations...) slowed me down to 94Mbps, this was far the best speed with my FTTC with VDSL2 technology, other modem routers from Asus, Technicolor and D7800 could not reach same high and reproducible values of D7000v1, even if they were close to it and, especially Asus and Technicolor, could save 1ms latency on Milan speedtest server (which of course were 2 fix "trusted" servers where I knew the routing was stable and good to run test from my ISP and location).

But now, this connection, has been shut down in favour to a FTTH (with external ONT) 1000/300 IPoE served by my RBK752.

@michaelkenward wrote:

In most cases talk of wifi speed "slightly above 550 Mbps" is fanciful. Indeed, that speed is unlikely for many wifi clients and impossible for some, 2.4 GHz wifi simply can't got that fast.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

It is complicated, but the bottom line is that your wifi clients are probably the source of any bottlenecks.

perhaps it is a problem related to the level of my english but herewith the above 550Mbps speedtest:

speedtest picture 

and, just in case it is "fanciful", herewith the printscreen from speedtest app that shows it was run as "wifi",

speedtest app 

of course with D7000v1 wired to RBK752 because in that moment I needed to pull a cat6 cable to a location where I plugged it to D7000v1 for having extra coverage which, downgraded to .74 was able to offer full wifi performances (all my AC clients are 866Mbps so I can hit around 600Mbps speedtest, then there are the AX iPhones but this does not matter now).

So I hope now we can focus a bit more on my topic issue, 5GHz wifi that:

- works < .78FW with Up to 1300Mbps setting within wifi settings with all channels selected

- works with all FW with 5GHz channels higher than 48 (36,40,44,48 are not working)

- works with FW .78 and .80 with Up to 600Mbps within wifi settings

- does not work with .78 and .80 FW with Up to 1300Mbps setting within wifi settings

works = I can see it, I can connect to it, I can speedtest a value reasonably as high as the max practical link rate (not the theoretical)

does not work = I cannot see it, I cannot connect to it with 100% of my devices, it is simply not displaying and also cannot reach it as "hidden connection"

The help I'm requesting is: why with .78 and .80 with 8 trustable different devices (iPhone XR, iPhone 12mini, iPad Pro latest gen, iPhone 8, Intel AC8260, Intel AX 200, Intel AC 7260, iPhone SE 2020) I cannot see at all the 5GHz wifi which is set to "up to 1300Mbps" while I can see the 5GHz when it is set to "up to 600Mbps"?

d7000v1 Wifi settings 

Hope I was clearer now in my request and apologies for misunderstanding 🙂

Michele

Message 3 of 7

As you are asking for advice on the D7000v1, you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

DSL Modems & Routers

Message 4 of 7

@michaelkenward wrote:

As you are asking for advice on the D7000v1, you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

DSL Modems & Routers

My mistake. I am so used to people [pstiong n the wrong place.

Good luck in finding someone who understand what you are asking about.

Message 5 of 7
mcrs969
Luminary

Thanks Michaelkenward. No problem, posting on a WW community a complex issue pushed my English to the limit, so I’m not sure whether my question is clear or not.

The fact is
With .78fw or .80fw the 5GHz Wi-Fi is working on Europe channels by reducing its maximum performances to “up to 600Mbps”. While with .74 FW it works also at “up to 1300Mbps” which should be the regular AC setting.

My guess is. has something gone wrong during FW .74 —> .78 Upgrade?
How can I get my 5GHz work with .78 and .80 FW as with .74FW on European channels?
Message 6 of 7
mcrs969
Luminary

Hi Everyone,

while waiting for some hints find here the only working condition that allows D7000v1 with .78 and .80 (in my case) to work, anyone has seen this?

from my windows PCfrom my windows PCfrom NETGEAR UI, up to 1300Mbps works only with channles >48from NETGEAR UI, up to 1300Mbps works only with channles >48

if I choose a different channel in range 36-48 (i.e. with no DFS) then it won't work.

with .74 FW it is all fine instead.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7