Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v1 - Security Question Regarding Suspect [DoS attack: ACK Scan]

JKelly81
Follower

D7000v1 - Security Question Regarding Suspect [DoS attack: ACK Scan]

Hi all, please excuse me if this is a dumb question but I am not overly tech savvy and was wondering if I could please have some advice if possible.

Today I noticed in my modem log that a couple of days ago my modem recorded a ton of these entries:

[DoS attack: ACK Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [198.50.196.183]

There were approx. 50 of these entries from the same IP address over the time span of around 5 minutes, at the time of the "attacks" nobody was at my home and no devices were connected to the internet.

I have seen ACK Scans in my log in the past and haven't worried too much about them as they were from IP addresses from companies like Google and Yahoo so I assumed they were just false-positives in the modem log, however this IP address is very suspect.

I ran the IP through a whois website and it appears to be from a "private residence" in Hong Kong.

I also searched the IP address on the "abuseipdb" website and it had been reported by 11 other people as a hacker / port scanner and one review said that this IP tried to log into their router.

My question is, how do I know if this attack was able to breach my modem's security or not and should I take any precautions or preventative measures from here on? Do I need to change my password for my router/internet?

Thank you for any help!

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7000v1 - Security Question Regarding Suspect [DoS attack: ACK Scan]

Hi JKelly81, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

If you see DoS attacks, this means that there are packets coming in that the router finds suspicious but not necessarily mean that someone is attacking your network from the outside. 

Do you experience interruption of your Internet service lately? Please make sure as well that you have the latest firmware 1.0.1.68. 

D7000 Firmware Version 1.0.1.68

https://kb.netgear.com/000060109/D7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-68

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
tominwi
Luminary

Re: D7000v1 - Security Question Regarding Suspect [DoS attack: ACK Scan]

I'm not a DoS expert, and others here will correct me if this is wrong, but AFAIK those ACK scans that you received are actually very common. They could simply be an individual or a automation (robot) testing your IP address i.e. "is anyone there?" and your router will ignore them. Nothing to worry about unless the attacks are CONTINUOUS and intend to keep your router busy (denying you Internet service).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7