Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v1 WPS LED blinking loop

mcrs969
Luminary

D7000v1 WPS LED blinking loop

Hi,

my wonderful D7000v1 has started presenting a weird issue at the WPS LED some time ago, I guess was July-21... suddenly it blinked like I pressed the WPS LED, even not pressing it. It first appeared when I moved the D7000v1 to another location (other flat) and went away after some time, now I moved to another flat and again the issue appears after some month I'm here.

The strange thing is that the button gives feedback of proper functioning when I push it, it seems like there is a click and it seems all fine, performances are fine and behavior of the D7000v1 is good except for this "unsafe" WPS loop.

So herewith what I've tried:

- disable WPS pin -> WPS loop does not go away

- downgrade to 1.0.1.82 -> WPS loop does not go away

- back to 1.0.1.84 -> WPS loop does not go away

- change SSID name -> WPS loop does not go away

- change wifi key -> WPS loop does not go away

- unplug power cord, keep it on 30" with no power, power on again -> WPS loop does not go away

- factory reset -> WPS loop does not go away

- reload last working conf after factory reset -> WPS loop does not go away

- reduce preamble to short -> WPS loop does not go away

- turn 2.4GHz down to 75% to reduce coverage -> WPS loop does not go away

- turn on guest wifi -> WPS loop does not go away

- turn off wifi -> Of course WPS LED goes off and WPS loop does not start

- turn on wifi -> WPS issue comes back

- turn 2.4GHz off 5GHz on -> issue went away

- turn 2.4GHz back on and 5GHz on -> WPS issue comes back

So I managed to narrow down the problem to the 2.4GHz, but I'm not sure if this is caused by the fact that 2.4GHz is somehow "primary wifi" or if the issue has some relation with the 2.4GHz.

Can somebody help me?

I guess NETGEAR, at least in Italy, does not offer repair out of warranty, so I have no way to get in touch with official support, before to consider to replace this lovely machine I'd like to try all possible things please!

Can somebody share experience or info on how to fix this annoying safety issue?

Message 1 of 6

Does the modem/router work otherwise?

Is it just the WPS LED that bothers you?

Have you tried turning the LEDs off with the switch on the back?

Message 2 of 6
mcrs969
Luminary

It works, but the problem is that the WPS procedure is taking place while the LED announces its activity.

When I try to modify some wifi setting within the wifi menu a pop-up informs me of an ongoing WPS procedure (coherently with the LED blinking), this makes me worry about the wifi security as the WPS is looping quite often its procedure.

LED on/off was tested immediately, with physical switch and GUI, no effect.. I forgot to mention it.

Message 3 of 6
mcrs969
Luminary

unfortunately I did not get much info from this thread, but I can feedback what I have found out:
- turning 2.4GHz power to 75% has slightly reduced the occurrence of undesired WPS procedures startup, still too frequent however, of course with LED off it is not visible but gui informs me when moving around Wi-Fi menu
- turning 2.4GHz power to 50% has consistently reduced the occurrence of undesired WPS procedures startup, not eliminated. Elimination only occurs with disabling of 2.4GHz.

Maybe temperature rises up when power is too high?
Maybe with high power there is more range and so I catch more disturbs from outside?

The wps activation is real and the button works fine, so I would exclude push button or led failure, it remains Sw or Wi-Fi client (none of mine, maybe something around my flat) or Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz hardware failures.

Can somebody help with some idea?
Message 4 of 6

I see no mention of the "firmware" word.

Which are you on? Have you tried something earlier?

Message 5 of 6
mcrs969
Luminary

Fw already ruled out.. issue came up when 1.0.1.78 was the production fw and survived for all later ones and various resets (both with button or sw reset).

Honestly speaking I did also downgrade to some very old version like .50 and the issue went away but the test was too short in time to determine if it was really robust to state that the issue went away.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7