Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 Ethernet Wan and Ethernet Ports

dapatter
Aspirant

D7000v2 Ethernet Wan and Ethernet Ports

Hi I recently bought the D7000v2 and am using the ethernet WAN port, which is connected to a netgear nighthawk mobile modem / router. I have the ethernet ports and wifi setup on the D7000/v2 to connect all my home devices. 

I can get internet access from the WIFI no problems at all. I am however unable to get any of the ethernet ports to receive a DHCP request from the D7000v2. I have tried hard coding but still cannot reach the router. Cabling is good, lights are on. Am I missing something?

I even created a bridge group....and added all the ethernet ports and the wifi ports (excluded the wan port), still no joy. Without this I found that the wifi and dhcp function was very flaky.

Have tried the latest firmware and even gone down and done the usual factory resets etc. This is driving me crazy and probably the last netgear piece of kit i ever buy!!

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
Badock
Tutor

You don't mention which "netgear nighthawk mobile modem / router" you have.  So I'm making some guesses.

First if you have a router feeding a router, you need to ensure that they are not both giving out IP addresses in the same range.  IE: if the first router is giving out address in the 192.168.1.x range, the the second router must be configured to a different subnet like 192.168.2.x or vice versa.  Otherwise the D7000 itself is 192.168.1.1 and the upstream router has the same IP.  That's not a Netgear problem, it won't work on any brand of router.

You said that internet works on WIFI.  Which router's wifi are you connecting to? 

"I am however unable to get any of the ethernet ports to receive a DHCP request from the D7000v2."  So the WAN port on the D7000 is pugged in to a LAN port on the upstream router and it can't get an IP?  Then you don't have internet access on any device connected to the D7000.  That brings us back to the IP subnet problem.

Message 2 of 5

@dapatter wrote:

Hi I recently bought the D7000v2 and am using the ethernet WAN port, which is connected to a netgear nighthawk mobile modem / router. I have the ethernet ports and wifi setup on the D7000/v2 to connect all my home devices. 

That means that you probably have two routers on your network.

Two routers side by side can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

You could put the D7000v2 modem/router into DSL modem only (bridge) mode and then use the second device as the router. But usually it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@dapatter wrote:

This is driving me crazy and probably the last netgear piece of kit i ever buy!!

You would probably see the same behaviour whichever brand you bought. It is a consequence of how you have set up your network.

Message 3 of 5
dapatter
Aspirant

Thanks for that its the Nighthawk M1 from Telstra, which runs its own specific firmware thanks to Netgear and is restricted to 1 device being connected on the LAN. So I have that lan port connected ot the WAN port of the D7000v2.

There is no issues with IP Subnets and Internet Access. That works as a I said from the WIFI from the D7000v2. I have wifi disabled on the Nighthawk M1, so its effectively not doing much. I have also tried it in IP passthrough mode. 

The issue is the connectivity on the D7000V2 between the LAN ports, the WIFI and the WAN port. WIFI and WAN are fine. the Ethernet ports was working, but then stopped. Nothing was changed. 

So setup is:

M1 - Internet Telstra

D7000V2 - WAN Port 192.168.1.100

Lan 10.1.1.1, DHCP to WIFI and LAN. Except LAN ports are active but seeing any traffic.

The standard setup should allow this to work, but I also have seen that the WIFI to get DHCP and be active is flaky and goes up and down. So I setup a bridge group and put ports E1, E1, E2 and Wifi 2.5Ghz and Wifi 5GHz in it. This creates a stable WIFI scenario and they get DHCP no issues, but I still cannot get DHCP / traffic on the ethernet ports. 

I have tried this in AP mode but again you run into the MAC issue / limitiation on the M1 because of the Telstra firmware. 

Message 4 of 5
dapatter
Aspirant

I am aware of Double NAT and have tried the Nighthawk in IP Passthrough with DHCP disabled, but this is not the issue. 

The issue is simply the behaviour on the D7000v2 and why it is not passing traffic between the ethernet ports (routing, or even switching / hub).....

I have had these problems on Netgear only, becuase the firmware and features are unstable. The M1 for instance the ethernet port lock down is an example....

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7