Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 - Firmware Version V1.0.0.56_1.0.1 - VPNService not connecting to external websites

OneOneOneZero
Aspirant

D7000v2 - Firmware Version V1.0.0.56_1.0.1 - VPNService not connecting to external websites

Recently purchased D7000v2 router January2020, updated to Firmware version V1.0.0.56_1.0.1 on purchase, expecting to be able to dial-in to my home network, and access websites and external services, as advertised.

Established a No-ip Dynamic DNS, setup the VPN Service as per the below screenshot.

When using the firmware-provided output of an OpenVPN configuration, imported only that file into a fresh installation of OpenVPN for Android, attempted to connect to the router.

Session is stablished, and my phone now appears in the list of Attached devices (screensot two).

Unfortunately, the session is not able to access any external websites or services.

HAve tried dealing with NetGear's customer support, only for them to run in circles trying to tell me to update to latest firmware turn on&off access control for devices, and then suggested I call them internationally during business hours so they could take further notes, because their online service staff are unable to coss-refer enquiries.

(which seems more than a little bit useless, tbh)

Can anybody here provide insight or assist?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: D7000v2 - Firmware Version V1.0.0.56_1.0.1 - VPNService not connecting to external websites

Try posting in the appropriate section for DSL modem/routers. I would provide a link to that section, but Netgear has broken the forum and the fact that you have posted an attached file (not your fault) means that I can't embed html code.
Message 2 of 7
OneOneOneZero
Aspirant

Re: D7000v2 - Firmware Version V1.0.0.56_1.0.1 - VPNService not connecting to external websites

This was the suggested forum for my model number - it's a Nighthawk, and it's a WiFi enabled DSL router (not a wireless 3G/ 4G router).

But I am rapidly learning just how broken the Netgear Support Forum & Customer Support more generally is...

Can you not simply paste in the text of where you think I should be going?
Message 3 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Can you not simply paste in the text of where you think I should be
> going?

I don't see why not:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Whether you'd find any more VPN expertise there is another question.

> [...] the session is not able to access any external websites or
> services.

"not able" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] Can anybody here provide insight or assist?

Not I.  My VPN expertise is nil.  Knowing nothing, I'd wonder about
the VPN local address (192.168.254.2) -- ".254." -- but what do I know?

Message 4 of 7

@OneOneOneZero wrote:
This was the suggested forum for my model number - it's a Nighthawk, and it's a WiFi enabled DSL router (not a wireless 3G/ 4G router).

It is a DSL modem/router. These are not the same as routers, which is why Netgear has a different bolt hole for them. (See above.)

@OneOneOneZero wrote:

Can you not simply paste in the text of where you think I should be going?

The only people who can control the forum are Netgear's own moderators.

The exact location isn't always important. But talk of VPN throws in complicating factors.

By the way, you talked of a session with Netgear support. I hope you started that through the support pages and not from a web search. The latter is a great way of being scammed.  Web searches often throw up dodgy numbers that have nothing to do with Netgear.

Message 5 of 7
OneOneOneZero
Aspirant

And their bolthole lookup function for their forums is broken as well, then.

Yes, I used the Netgear Support community, in addition to trying to raise a support ticket.

But it certainly seems Netgear both can't manage a support ticket or configure their own forum software, given that this was the recommended result for the model number.

Not really a great sign on the product front.
Message 6 of 7
OneOneOneZero
Aspirant

... And antinode, if you _know_ you've got no relevant knowledge and nothing to add, why bother commenting?
::Picard facepalm::
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7