Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 Firmware and WiFi

D7000v2 Firmware and WiFi

I am at my wits end... I am making a new post, as some commenters say it is answered somewhere else, but that is not helping.

I bought this router to replace my Zytel modem/router from centurylink as I needed more internal home power with all the devices I have connected and the fact that my zytel like to randomly re-boot itself. 

I got this router 2 weeks ago, and right out the box, the firmware does not upgrade to the .45-- it is stuck at the .44... After reading through the communtiy, I see many complaints of this, and no response from Netgear.

I suspect this D7000v2 router needs a firmware upgrade similar to the D7000 due to WiFi randomly dropping and freezing up not alowing anything to re-connect (even with all lights white), unless I hard reset the modem. Again, this is the D7000v2 modem/router, not the D7000, BUT it too drops wifi the same as older complaints of the D7000.

Customer support basically told me to change the fragmentation length and the CTS/RTS threshold back 1-2 numbers to 2343, and 2344 respectivly, as well as lock in a wireless channel address. That seemed to have worked for 4 days. Then It locked up again, and I tried to change the preamble from long duration to short, and again, it worked for 3-4 more days. 2 days ago, I decided to turn off the 5ghz setting in the WiFi, as I dont use that bandwidth, and again, it worked for 2-3 more days. Today, i just had to reset the modem again due to lock up, but I am out of ideas as to what to change next on this peice of junk to stabilize the wifi.

No netgear, it is not my internet provider, it is your modem. When is this issue going to be addressed? I read that there is a beta firmware we can only get from you guys. Can you please post the link? When will you go live with a new firmware update for the D7000v2? Please do not reply with "download the .45"... I have tried that 10 times, and it will not install via direct download, or download and boot from USB.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: D7000v2 Firmware and WiFi

There is a numbering problem with the latest firmware for the D7000v2. I suggest that you ignore that.

Forget about firmware. Can you explain what your problem is?

I'm afraid I can't work out what it is from your message.

Something to do with the wifi?

Have you checked out the Chromecast thing? Do you have any Chromecast or Android devices?

Message 2 of 8

1. Firmware does not upgrade from .44 1.0.1 to the new .45 as stated on what I need to upgrade to.

2. All 9 devices connected to the router get dropped from WiFi randomly. All I can do is hard reset the modem. This went from every 5 min when I bought it, but I got it stable to stay working for 1-3 days without the need of reset with setting tweaks stated above.

3. I have a fire stick, but wondering if the underlying software is similar to chrome cast bug that cause that issue people talk about with chrome cast. The fire stick has the latest firmware updates.
Message 3 of 8
Braydos
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue as above. 

I brought a D7000 (v1) in April last year, which after 2 or 3 months steadily had more and more drop outs (only Wi-fi, no wirded connectin at the time). After much back and forth between both my ISP and Netgear it appeared to be a router issue. After further investigation this seems to be a common (yet to be fixed) issue with the D7000. I had it replaced under warranty late last year with a D7000v2. After about a month, similar issues began to arise, with all devices (including my now wired PC) dropping out at increasing rates. 

As previously mentioned elsewhere the SSID is still visible, but you are unable to connect. For wired connections, you remain connected but have "No Internet".

I now have to power cycle my D7000 at least daily to rectify the issue. The forums appear to be the only way to communicate with anyone with more than very basic networking knowledge and I am yet to work out how to access beta firmware which could (possibly) resolve the issue.  

Message 4 of 8

I now have to power cycle my D7000 at least daily to rectify the issue. The forums appear to be the only way to communicate with anyone with more than very basic networking knowledge and I am yet to work out how to access beta firmware which could (possibly) resolve the issue.  

I am in the same boat as you with the v2. I seen that one subscriber got the beta firmware from tech support, and it seems to have worked. I think if the beta is fixing the issue for D7000 and D7000v2, they just need to release it. Oh well. I am back with my Zytel modem now until they come out with a fix. I sat on hold for 30min last night in hopes of getting it, but I gave up. I'll most likely use my Square Trade insurance from amazon to change this Netgear out completely. Just wish there was more choice for DSL modem/routers.

Message 5 of 8

Firmware successfully upgraded to the new .47... But, the WiFi still freezes and kicks all devices off the router.

Message 6 of 8

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 7 of 8

wrote:

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration

Yes, I reset the router after flash... I also turned off many setting to help stabilize it like 20/40 mixing, and beamforming too, which reduced freeze ups and lock outs to once every day and a half. Also, I have a channel locked in from auto to 11, and reduced Fragmentation length and CTS/RTS by a few notches (directed by Netgear cust support).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7