Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 - V1.0.0.62_1.0.1 - Router locks up every 1-2 days & requires pwr cycle

Brett1868
Follower

D7000v2 - V1.0.0.62_1.0.1

Router locks up and becomes unresponsive post firmware V1.0.0.62_1.0.1 upgrade. Cannot connert via browser and lights on the unit appear to show that all is well. The only solution is to hard reboot the router by removing and reapplying the power. Is there anyway to roll back to the previous version?

Regards

Brett 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
antinode
Guru

Re: D7000v2 - V1.0.0.62_1.0.1

> [...] lights on the unit appear to show that all is well. [...]

Except that they don't flash to indicate activity?

> [...] Is there anyway to roll back to the previous version?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)

Message 2 of 9
lausey
Aspirant

Rolling back to a previous version is seriously a bad idea. This update was specifically because the previous version had Remote Code Execution vulnerabilities. If you rollback, you will be at risk of people hacking into your router.

Message 3 of 9
antinode
Guru

> Rolling back to a previous version is seriously a bad idea. [...]

Worse than owning a router which doesn't work?

> [...] If you rollback, you will be at risk of people hacking into your
> router.

_If_ you enable Remote Management?  Given a choice between a working
router without Remote Management, and a more secure router-as-brick with
the option of using Remote Management, I know which _I_ would choose.

Message 4 of 9
lausey
Aspirant

It wasn't a brick. He could still use it after hard rebooting. Considering myself and many others would have applied this update without the same issues, then that indicates there are other issues with his router which needs investigating. It isn't clear that router of a previous version is *only* vulnerable with remote management enabled. Netgear should be able to confirm this.

I know which I will choose, and that will be a router that is up to date and secure, and investigate what is causing the problem. Contact Netgear and ask why the latest update is causing my specific router to not work and have them fix or replace it with all the updates. Rolling back is *not* a solution.

Message 5 of 9
flatline
Initiate

Re: D7000v2 - V1.0.0.62_1.0.1 - Router locks up every 1-2 days & requires pwr cycle

@netgear 

I've been having the exact same issue as OP

* Router locks up every 1-2 days (sometimes 2 times a day)

* Router stays locked until I power cycle it

* Problem also occured on the previous firmware version 

* Have owned the router for ~1-1.5 years

* Modem I use: Netcomm Wireless NBN FTTC modem (model NDD-0300)

All lights stay on  as per normal but unable to see any device at 192.168.0.1, both from; a phone that was connected at the time of d/c and had mobile data disabled), a laptop via wifi and from a PC via ethernet.

I've kept logs for the past couple of weeks and also taken measurements of the router temperature (multimeter temp probe taped to the letter 'G' on the netgear logo) when the router locks up.

* Router fails at all times of the day, both when being actively used and not

* Recorded Temperatures (Celsius) upon router failure:

- Maximum: 38.6

- Minimum: 28.4

- Avg: 31.0-33.0

The reason for taking temperature was due to a post where someone mentioned overheating issue and resolved it by refitting the CPU as it wasn't mounted correctly to ensure good thermal efficiency.

A post by someone experiencing this same problem (but had syslog monitoring router) can be found at:

stackoverflow-why-does-my-netgear-router-hang-and-need-rebooting-every-7-days 

Please advise how to resolve this issue (i've already wiped firmware/reloaded latest) or go about returning this product.

Message 6 of 9

@flatline wrote:

* Have owned the router for ~1-1.5 years

* Modem I use: Netcomm Wireless NBN FTTC modem (model NDD-0300)

Two points there:

• The D7000v2 listed in your footer is a modem/router, not just a router
  • Why do you have two modems?

Message 7 of 9
flatline
Initiate

The NBN device (Netcomm Wireless NBN FTTC modem (model NDD-0300)) is acting as the modem for NBN FTTC. This device was provided to me by my ISP.

You explained how the process works to another user in your post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000V2-moden-and-Australian-NBN-FFTC/m-p/194887...

Unless something I've mentioned makes no sense? If any further information is required please ask away and i'll gladly supply.

Should I just phone Netgear about this issue? 

Message 8 of 9

I can't see how you can relate that generic answer to your circumstances. The person who asked the question doesn't seem to have understood what they were asking or the reply. They certainly did not come back and say what they did, usually a sign of failure at their end.

In your circumstances, if the NDD-0300 is your modem, then you can't use the D7000v2 as a modem.

Depending on what the NDD-0300 does – is it a plain modem or a modem/router – then the only ways to use the D7000v2 is as a router (if the NDD-0300 is just a  modem) or as a wireless access point (if the NDD-0300 is a  modem/router).

If the Netcomm is a "Wireless NBN FTTC modem" that provides wifi as you describe it, then it is probably a  modem/router.

If your D7000v2 is configured as a router then you may be in "double NAT" country.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Whatever your situation it is highly unlikely to have nothing to do with the question that started this discussion, where the user has the D7000v2 as a modem/router.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7