Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 as access point not passing data to wired network

debeani
Aspirant

D7000v2 as access point not passing data to wired network

I have a D7000v2 That I'm trying to use as an access point behind a PFSense box.

in short my network kind of looks like
Laptop > Wireless AP > Switch > PFSense > Modem > Internet

Before anyone jumps up and says I can delete a bunch of these because they are not required, I need them for other reasons such as my VPN to my office.

I've tried to get the D7000v2 to work as an AP several times through various methods with lots of factory resets but ultimately limited success.

- I've gone into the web interface and set it to AP mode. Both as a simple static address and a DHCP assigned static address.

- I've left it as a router and simply disabled the DHCP and "Internet" interface

- I've also connected it directly to my modem to skip the PFSense box to see if it could be causing any issues.

- I've also tried several versions of the firmware. 1.0.0.64, 1.0.0.62, 1.0.0.38 and whatever firmware I started on.

Ultimately the results are always the same.
- I can access the web interface from both sides of the AP, wired and wireless.

- 90% of google home devices work (can access the internet) but some don't (always the same ones(the nest hubs)).

- Some of my tablets/phones work while others don't.

- Also my laptops don't work.

But with the laptops I can dig a little deeper. While I can't access the internet, I can access the web interface to the AP, and other machines on the Wifi, but nothing from the wired network... I can't even access the PFSense box... which is strange as it gets an IP from the DHCP fine, and the DHCP server registers the lease being renewed.

For the moment I've just switched back to my old 2.4Ghz only AP, and everything is working fine. But any help would be appreciated, as the Nighthawk should be a much better wireless.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: D7000v2 as access point not passing data to wired network

"

@debeani wrote:

I have a D7000v2 That I'm trying to use as an access point behind a PFSense box.

in short my network kind of looks like
Laptop > Wireless AP > Switch > PFSense > Modem > Internet

Does this mean that the D7000v2 is the "Wireless AP" in the chain?

If so, what is the "Modem"?

Message 2 of 5
debeani
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

If so, what is the "Modem"?

The modem is a "Belong 4353" No idea what it is under the hood. It's pretty well rebranded. But that is on the red side of my PFSense box.

The PFSense box handles all of the gateway duties.

I only intend to use the D7000v2 as a Wireless AP.

Message 3 of 5

OK. I was just confused as to what box was what on the network.

It isn't clear to me what is going 0n in that saga.

Are you saying that nothing works through the D7000v2 in AP mode? Or is it just some things?

Is it just wifi through the AP that fails? Does Ethernet still work?

If it is some stuff, then the problem probably isn't the AP.

Remember, in AP mode, you can't get at the usual browser graphical user interface (GUI). You need to find the IP address of the AP and aim a browser at that.

I assume that you have sought help from the people behind the PFSense box.

Message 4 of 5
debeani
Aspirant

When I set the D7000v2 up in AP + static ip mode everything can talk to the D7000v2 (log into the web interface) on both the wired and wireless side. But only a few devices can talk through it.

I've spoken to the people who manage my PFSense box and they have mentioned that they had great difficulty in getting the D7000 (non v2) working properly. They had to roll back the firmware on it. (hence why I tired a bunch of different firmware versions).

I've borrowed a few additional AP's from the office and they all just work. I got this D7000v2 as a bonus free item in a bundle. So I didn't drop any money on it. Probably time to drop some money on a new AP that I know works.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7