Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 connectivity issue

Mine has gone from bad to worse.  Four crashes in the past week.  I never get to see the log, as it's wiped each time I reboot, unless I'm missing something.  I had tried a wifi schedule (off at night) to see if that fixed it, but it didn't.  And even before this it was crashing first thing in the morning when there was no traffic at all.

I'm now trying static IP addresses (ie no DHCP) for all our devices and will see what happens.

Might need to look for a new router in the sales!

Message 26 of 35

So now, after three months with no problems at all, the router has started dropping every couple of days.

I've just reinstalled the latest firmware, using a wired connection to see if that will fix it.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 27 of 35
ColMad
Aspirant

Not had a regular issue like that, it's lost it a couple of times in the past, the only recent issue was a random rested of the DNS server settings back do default, (I run Pi-hole on a Zero) but that could have been anything.

Firmware is V1.0.0.66_1.0.2 

Message 28 of 35

@duncanjbarker wrote:

So now, after three months with no problems at all, the router has started dropping every couple of days.

The router bit of your modem router or the modem bit of your modem router?

Dropping what? The Internet (DSL) or the wifi?

I ask because I recently went through a period when the Internet disappeared – the DSL LED dropped. A couple of times a day, with no obvious pattern.

I did  nothing to try to fix it. I blamed the ISP and kits network. I haven't see the same thing for some weeks now. So I assume that my first guess was correct. Crap service from the ISP (BT).

Message 29 of 35
mhaselup
Guide

@duncanjbarker mine seems to have been more flakey than usual recently.

Trouble is if you buy another Netgear you won't know if there's issues with the (new) model until after the fact. Happy to learn from your experience of course 🙂

I am thinking about updating to some kind of Orbi setup so I can include some cameras.

Message 30 of 35

@mhaselup wrote:

I am thinking about updating to some kind of Orbi setup so I can include some cameras.

The D7000v2  that started this conversation is a DSL modem/router. Netgear does not make a DSL Orbi device. The bad news is that Netgear, and most brands it seems, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

I have no idea what sort of cameras you have in mind, but you don't need an Orbi to add cameras to a network.

Message 31 of 35
mhaselup
Guide

So the D7000v2 crashing every few days continues after everything I have tried. This includes:

Upgrades to several newer versions of firmware

Delegating DHCP to another server (Pi-Hole on RPi)

Turning off radios-that is effectively using the device solely as a NBN Modem-and using another

Netgear (R7000P router for the wifi)

So I can only conclude that the problem is with the device.

My plan now is to setup a cron job on the D7000v2 to reboot the router automatically every 3 days (it seems to manage 3 days).

One interesting fact that suggests there is a hardware problem is the device temperature is consistently high-cpu1 74.00 C cpu2 75.20 C

The other router is a R7000P running DD-WRT-cpu 62.5 C

If your D7000v2 is erratic check the temp with URL 192.168.0.1/debug.htm and post it here for others to see

Message 32 of 35
mhaselup
Guide

The idea of the ORBI is to use the dedicated backhaul to allow me to put a satellite with physical ethernet next to the IP Cam. My wifi signal won't be strong enough for this as it stands.

Message 33 of 35
ColMad
Aspirant

I can't see moving the DHCP function to the pi will make a difference, I suspect the heat you have identified, or a faulty device.
Message 34 of 35
mhaselup
Guide

The reason for removing DHCP was to check that the firmware implementation wasn't buggy (in the DHCP server code) e.g. memory leaks could lead to erratic behaviour over time. Obviously I can't turn off any other software subsystem as the modem need the firmware to run.

Having eliminated any software issues that I could with no DHCP enabled and trying several versions of the firmware. I then resorted to turning of the radios-maybe another software issue or heat generated in the device. I also moved the Rpi from the USB port  to another power supply so the modem PSU wasn't under load and generating additional heat/instability. Finally the D7000v2 is simply running as a modem doing nothing else and apparently running to hot?

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7