Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 dropping internet connection

PhilNeil
Initiate

D7000v2 dropping internet connection

I purchased a NETGEAR D7000v2 modem router (D7000-200UKS Nighthawk AC1900) in January 2018 for home use. I have used NETGEAR modem routers for many years but my D7000v2 has become very unreliable and I think it has a hardware fault.

The problem with my D7000v2 is that it disconnects itself from the internet randomly and frequently. It now disconnects at least 4 times per day. Although, during the times when it is connected, it seems to work fine.

My D7000v2 replaced a Netgear D6100 which was very reliable. I have the same ISP (Plusnet), the same ADSL broadband plan and the same BT phone line that I had with the D6100.

According to the ‘Which?’ Broadband Speed Test, the latency of my phone line is 124 ms, the download speed is 4.5 Mbps, and the upload speed is 0.9 Mbps

I am using the D7000v2 as a DSL modem and a DHCP server for my home LAN. I have never used its wireless or USB features so I have disabled these. I always set up my router manually.

My D7000v2 is connected by ethernet cable to an Apple AirPort Extreme in bridge mode. I use the the AirPort Extreme to connect to about 15 devices in my home.

Whenever my D7000v2 disconnects, its Internet LED and the DSL LED always stay solid white. When I access its interface at www.router login.net/start.htm and log in, the Basic Home page shows the Internet Status is ‘Not Connected’. I have found that if I go to the internet Setup page and just re-apply the settings (by clicking the ’Apply’ button without changing anything), the D7000v2 reconnects to the internet and the Internet Status is ‘Good’.

I have also found that another way to make my D7000v2 reconnect to the internet is to disconnect the phone cable briefly and then reconnect it.

I have tried lots of things in an attempt to cure this disconnection problem, all without success. These are:

• checking that our landline phone’s dial tone is clear;
  • power cycling the network (including removing power cables for 10 minutes);
  • replacing the microfilters;
  • replacing the phone cable to the D7000v2;
  • replaced the ethernet cable to the D7000v2;
  • updating the D7000v2 to the latest firmware (currently v1.0.0.56_1.0.1);
  • temporarily downgrading to older versions of the firmware;
  • resetting the D7000v2 to factory default settings;
  • updating the Airport Extreme to the latest firmware;
  • checking the D7000v2 is well ventilated and not overheating;
  • checking the output of the D7000v2’s power supply (12.00V);
  • checking the logs;
  • reducing the MTU size;
  • checking that anti-virus software is not causing problems.

Unfortunately, I can’t try replacing the D7000v2 itself because I don’t have another modem router. It is still under hardware warranty. What are my chances of getting a replacement from NETGEAR? I get the impression that this problem with the D7000v2 is not uncommon. If I have to get another modem router, I'm considering the TP-Link Archer VR900. Any opinions about that?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PhilNeil, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PhilNeil, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 2 of 7
memnosine
Initiate

I've got the same problem; connection drops about once per day. Reset or power on/off usually brings it right back. This thread is marked fixed (checked); but the response was a private email.  I'd love to know what was the solution?

Win10, Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 Modem/router.

Message 3 of 7
L4TINO
Initiate

recently got an RMA for this issue, i thought it was an issue regarding a hardware fault because in the previouse weeks the node was cut.
my isp speculated that the cut could have caused a current to wreck something in the router.
long story short i received my RMA router today, i had installed it and it got up and running in seconds with the standard 1.0.0.44 firmware, next i decided to update it to the latest firmware 1.0.0.56, the router finished installing, restarted. and there you go! luckily without having to test it for a couple of days, the issue from the last router happened instantly, available internet connection with no availability to connect to anything, including the router "routerlogin.net" i could not get into any websites until i restarted the router. and it was a reacurring issue with the 1.0.0.56 firmware could happen after 4 hours or after 24 hours but it didn't fail to happen. the only way to fix it was to restart the router.

now i have reverted to 1.0.0.53 to test and currently tested for 2 hours and it is ok. but obviously needs a fair bit longer of a testing time.
firmware 1.0.0.44 seemed to have found your internet isp and connect you almost instantly
moving to 1.0.0.53 it took over 3 minutes to find my connection. 

so if you are having these issues revert your firmware before going for an RMA because even netgear doesn't seem to know what the problem is, after the phone call i had with them there was no mention of anything but troubleshooting the simplest things and updating to the latest firmware... which is causing the issue.... nothing about 'oh maybe you should revert the firmware because there could be a issue with the latest firmware'

Message 4 of 7
L4TINO
Initiate

ive tested 1.0.0.53 and the issue persists, wont be testing any other firmware.
im now speculating that the issue comes down to my internet connection settings being changed from requiring a login 'email and password' to now a dhcp connection, whenever the internet gets an interupt from the node 'disconnects' the router seems be giving the issue stated above where i could not connect to anything even though the internet connection has re'established. 

speculating that this router has a dhcp connection issue that is not fixable by a consumer. il be getting a refund on this router if possible because having an issue like this is unnaceptable, its intended purposes is to run in either configuration and it can only work on one.

Message 5 of 7
PhilNeil
Initiate

I contacted NetGear support 10 days ago and explained the problem with my D7000v2 randomly dropping its internet connection even though my phone line appears to be good. A member of the support team gave me advice and help by phone. Specifically, she told me to log in to the admin interface (NetGear genie) of my D7000v2 and then instructed me as follows:

1. Firstly, in the Wireless Setup, she told me to change the channel of the 2.4GHz network to 06, and change the channel of the 5GHz network to 128. I don’t remember what the channels were set to previously as I have always kept the WiFi disabled - I just use one of  the Ethernet ports. So the channels would have been the default factory settings. For the same reason, I never attached the three antennas. The support team member did not mention the antennas, however I have decided to attach them even though the WiFi is disabled.

2. Next, in the WAN Setup, she told me to change the MTU Size to 1492. It was previously set to the default 1500. I had also tried 1468 without success, but I had not tried 1492. (I’m using PPPoA.)

3. Lastly, she told me to download and manually install the latest firmware (V1.0.0.56_1.0.1). I said I had already installed the latest firmware but she told me to reflash it.

Since making those three changes, my D7000v2 has been behaving itself very well. It has disconnected itself from the internet only once in the past 10 days. Previously it was disconnecting several times per day. Therefore, I am hoping that my problem is fixed. I am no expert but my guess is that changing the MTU size did it. However, I also decided to purchase 6 months of technical support in case I had further problems which might require a replacement unit.

Finally, I have noticed something which might be significant or not. When my D7000v2 randomly disconnects itself from the internet and I log in to the admin interface, I observe the following:

The ‘Internet’ button on the Basic Home page says Not Connected (in red). But simultaneously, the Connection Status window shows ‘Connecting to server’ is On, which means the modem is still connected - see attached screenshot. (The LEDs on the D7000 all remain solid white.)

If I then click ‘Connect’ in the Connection Status window, nothing happens, which confirms that it is connected. When I click ‘Disconnect’, a pop-up message says ‘To reestablish the connection, click the Connect button’ and when I click OK, ‘Connecting to server’ changes to Off.  If I then click ‘Connect’, ‘Connecting to server’ changes back to On and the Internet’ button changes to Status:Good (in green) after the page is refreshed, and the D7000v2 is reconnected to the internet.

My observations would seem to suggest that whenever my D7000 randomly disconnects, the modem part is still connected, but for some reason the router part thinks it is not connected.

PhilNeil

Message 6 of 7
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Hopefully @DexterJB will take this info to the firmware developers so that they can fix their error. I'll be holding my breath for a fix!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7