Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 drops connection during every call using WhatsApp

JimBoLicious
Tutor

D7000v2 drops connection during every call using WhatsApp

This is one of the most frustrating issues in my home.  If my wife gets a call on WhatsApp she must wait till I return home to go through a ridiculous number of steps to resolve before she has access to internet and talking to family overseas.  I have tried a number of resolutions from disabling Guest Wifi, disabling IPv6, etc.  Nothing works.  I was hoping recent firmware would solve the problem, but that didnt work either. 

More frustrating is that Netgear doesnt seem to allow me to log a ticket since its past the 90s days.  I am about to try to return this over priced piece of hardware or throw it out to get something more reliable.  

Steps to recreate the issue:
1. Connect to wifi

2. Make a video call using WhatsApp

Expected outcome:

- Maintain call to end, continue to use internet

Actual Outcome:
- Router drops internet connection

- Unable to connect to router admin using browser

- Router drops IP address for connected devices

Resolution:
- Must restart Router. 

- After restart, router does not connect automatically to internet, so launch browser to connect to Router Admin Screen.  Navigate to Advanced Tab in Router Admin, select Advanced Home, click Connection Status under Internet Port, then click Connect.  First attempt to connect ALWAYS fails, then click connect again.  Second attempt usually connects.  WTF?

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

I think this sums it up?

@JimBoLicious wrote:
WTF?

But there is a lot going on in there.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

I say "device", your subject says D7000v2 but you have also tagged the D7800 in your "footer". I assume that the subject is correct.

What device is your wife using to get into WhatsApp? Is it only WhatsApp that crashes things? 

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

This bit is also odd:

@JimBoLicious wrote:

- After restart, router does not connect automatically to internet

Unless your ISP does freaky stuff, it should just connect and login.

How is the DSL "connection mode" configured?

It should be "Always On".

There is a manual for the D7000v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D7000v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 9
JimBoLicious
Tutor

Thanks for the reply:
Here are the answer to your questions. 

Firmware updated last week was latest from Netgear: V1.0.0.53_1.0.2   ISsue was occuring before and after upgrade. 

I have not done a hard factory reset. I will try that next.  

Wife using iPhone 6 when using WhatsApp. 

Yes, it is D7000v2.  Not sure how it set a different modem in the footer. While I am far from computer illiterate, I am new here so consider it user error.  

I dont see "DSL Connection Mode" but I do see DSL Mode which is set to Auto.  There is no "On" option.  

Message 3 of 9

@JimBoLicious wrote:

I have not done a hard factory reset. I will try that next.  

Worth trying, but the fact that this happened before you updated the firmware is suspicious.

Yes, it is D7000v2.  Not sure how it set a different modem in the footer. While I am far from computer illiterate, I am new here so consider it user error.  

That does not surprise me. Netgear's database of models is always out of date.

I dont see "DSL Connection Mode" but I do see DSL Mode which is set to Auto.  There is no "On" option.  

The bit I am talking about ios described in the table Specify an ADSL Connection With a Login and PPPoA or PPPoEService. There is an entry for Connection Mode.

Maybe the manual is wrong, I haven't used that modem/router, or they changed something in the firmware.

Message 4 of 9
pcampanario
Aspirant

hi. my internet is always dropping and netgear told me i need a firewall. is that happening with you also?

Message 5 of 9

@pcampanario wrote:

....netgear told me i need a firewall.

That doesn't make sense.

How would that be involved when WhatsApp causes a modem/router to drop a connection?

Message 6 of 9

Just a thought @pcampanario, but how did you talk to Netgear?

Who did you call? If it was one of those sites found with a web search, then there is a high probability that it has nothing to do with Netgear, but one of those scam sites that will try to sell you something, possibly even a firewall. I hope you did not take up the offer.

Many of those listing are from third-party sites that pay to appear in the search engines. They then create sites that "borrow" the Netgear logo.

Those sites will also appear if you search for other makes of hardware. Using them can be dangerous.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

GearHead does not offer a support plan for $75 .

Netgear's support is limited to 90 days. You get that by registering your device and starting the process on the MyNetgear site.

Message 7 of 9
foz111
Tutor

question, does this happen on every mobile using whats app or just your wifes? 

have you tested using your wifes phone using whats app on another Wlan?

i assume its happening on all mobiles using whats app and you've tested her phone on another Wlan before thinking its definatly your router but i thought i would ask. 

Message 8 of 9
JimBoLicious
Tutor

Performed the hard factory reset.  This has not succeeded in resolving the problem.  

Its always the same symtoms and solution to fix it which is very odd

1. Using WhatApp for video or audio calls kill our home internet connection on this modem
  2. All IP addressed dropped. 
  3. Attempt to check connection on windows PC "ipconfig" resultings:
    1. Media state = Media disconnected
  4. Attempt to reconnect "ipconfig /renew" results in the following:
    1. C:\Users\Jim>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The operationwas canceled by the user.

5. Only resolution is the following steps:
    1. Unplug router
    2. Wait to start and issue IP address Note: Modem does not auto connect to internet despite being set to do so. 
    3. Login to Netgear Admin
    4. Check logs which show nothing.
    5. Open Connection Status
    6. Click Connect
    7. First attempt ALWAYS fails
    8. Click Connect
    9. This one succeeeds.  

Unless Netgear has a solution, my only option is to return this piece of hardware for something else which will likely be another brand.  

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7