Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 firmware update v1.0.0.45 will NOT install

Daz1967
Guide

D7000v2 firmware update v1.0.0.45 will NOT install

I bought the D7000v2 modem/router here in the UK from Amazon on 24th December.

Since then I've already updated the firmware from its default v1.0.0.44 (I believe) to v1.0.0.44_1.,0.1. However, I've had a number of disconnections over the last two days, which may be connected to the Karoo ISP settings I'm using, but, whatever, I was alerted to a new firmware update, v1.0.0.45_1.0.1 today while checking the settings.

Despite numerous attempts to install it, this firmware refuses to install whether I use the automatic download or try to upload the extracted CHK file from the ZIP folder. The firmware update shows a blue progress bar to about 50% using both methods then reboots the router. v1.0.0.44_1.0.1 still shows on the Settings page though and I am still repeatedly told there is a new firmware version available.

Is anyone else having problems installing this firmware?

I am not seeing any error messages during the firmware update and the router appears to be working fine regardless (otherwise I would not be able to post this message!)., 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 49

Accepted Solutions
Fizzylid
Initiate

Yes if its not flagging up for you the new firmware is available now...

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000v2.aspx#Firmware Version 1.0.0.47

View solution in original post

Message 49 of 49

All Replies

Maybe they have loaded a dud file. It has happened before!

Just in case it got bust in transmission, try getting another copy. If that fails, I suspect a problem at their end.

The firmware you have isn't so much the default as the latest in a series. You will find older versions on the support pages.

There is a manual for the D7000v2 somewhere at the end of this link::

>>>> D7000v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Your message is tagged with the D7000. Is that because they didn't offer the v2 option? Again, that would not surprise me.

However, I've had a number of disconnections over the last two days, which may be connected to the Karoo ISP settings I'm using,

Is this an internet disconnection or just lost local access? Wifi for example?

Message 2 of 49
Daz1967
Guide

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

There was no D7000v2 option under the Model window so, yes, that is why I could only select the D7000.

I have noticed that when I connect to my router via the genie app on my iPad that the firmware version is shown as v1.0.0.45_1.0.1 but when viewed on my PC or via the Chrome browser on my iPad using the www.routerlogin.net address that the firmware shows as v1.0.0.44_1.0.1. This then triggers the new firmware update alert in the browser window.

I even tried installing the firmware update from my iPad this morning using Chrome but, again, the blue bar got to about 50%, the router reset and the firmware is still showing as v1.0.0.44_1.0.1. Is it possible for the v1.0.0,45 firmware to have correctly installed but that the version number has not been updated such that it still shows v1.0.0.44?

I get no error during the firmware update and if it was only installing 50% of the update then surely my router would not be working at all? It leads me to think that either that 50% is the router verifying the update prior to installing it (and rejecting it for some reason hence why the remaining 50% does not complete) or that the firmware *is* installing but the version number for v1.0.0.45 is wrong and still shows as v1.0.0.44.

I have always bought NETGEAR routers as I have previously found them to be reliable but this latest router is proving to be a bit of a nightmare as I have been getting constant disconnections since installing it on the 24th. The reason I upgraded to this one from my previous D3300v2 is that I have so many devices now connecting via WiFi that I thought I needed something that could handle the traffic better without it causing disconnections. The irony is that since installing this router I've had MORE internet disconnections in the last few days than the last six weeks (which is when the issues with the internet first started happening).

Unfortunately, I am unable to get a fibre connection in the city where I live despite living near the city centre and my ISP provider have complete monopoly here (Karoo) so I cannot just switch to another provider like most people can. They have been doing work nearby, presumably installing fibre for other streets, and this may be affecting my connection.

Message 3 of 49
Daz1967
Guide

Despite contacting my ISP provider numerous times over the past week, all they've been able to do is tweak the settings to try and make the connection more reliable.

I have not had any issues for the last five or six years until recently and the only things that have changed as far as WiFi devices go is replacing my launch Xbox One with an Xbox One X and replacing an old Sony Bravia TV with a Samsung smart TV which has NetFlix. Of course, it may be that one extra device has made my connection more unstable and that is why I upgraded to the NETGEAR D7000v2 since it is designed to handle more devices than my old router could (that router was seven years old).

Message 4 of 49

@Daz1967 wrote:
Is it possible for the v1.0.0,45 firmware to have correctly installed but that the version number has not been updated such that it still shows v1.0.0.44?

That would not surprise me. Something similar has happened before. There was a mismatch between the firmware's internal numbering and the one visible in the real world.

Message 5 of 49

@Daz1967 wrote:
Of course, it may be that one extra device has made my connection more unstable and that is why I upgraded to the NETGEAR D7000v2 since it is designed to handle more devices than my old router could (that router was seven years old).

I doubt if that is likely to cause these problems, but one way to test would be to forget about using wifi for the smart TV.

If your TV is anything like my Samsung BluRay player it has a LAN port. I found setting up the wifi to be fiddly and unreliable. So I switched to Powerline Ethernet. I also use that for an Internet radio.

If the Xbox One X does LAN, then it could use Ethernet. But that might mean installing three plugs: router, TV and Xbox.

More money, I know, but the benefits might be worth it.

Message 6 of 49
rbbane66
Guide

I'm having the exact problem as the first writer.  I bought my D7000v2 modem router earlier in December.  Noticed there was an firmware update and updated it to v1.0.0.44-1.0.1

That update went in no problems.  Shortly after I noticed the advice note at the top of the router page saying "A router firmware upgrade is avalable".  

Clicked on the (long) button and was advised it was v1.0.0.45

It starts to apparently download, then after the blue bar gets quite a way across the router reboots.

But when it starts up again the firmware version still says v1.0.0.44-1.0.1

Is anyone working on this, and what is the new update supposed to do?

Message 7 of 49

OK. That makes two reports, enough to suggest an issue. Will pass it on.

...what is the new update supposed to do?

Netgear uses the bland "Security fixes" for most of these things. Not much help. But too much detail could open the door to the hackers.

Message 8 of 49
MAdp
Aspirant

Same issue with the V2 despite manual and auto update.

Not sure if this is connected to my internet disconnections because I'm also having issues as described.

Message 9 of 49

So, three people, which means no coincidence.

I have alerted the powers that be.

No idea if they will pay any attention.

Your firmware is probably as up to date as it can be. It is just the numbering system that is broken.

Message 10 of 49
IAK
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue with the D7000 v2

Message 11 of 49
rbbane66
Guide

I know someone will tell me that this is in the wrong thread, but as it appears that folks posting here are generally unhappy with the D7000v2 router, I'm adding it.

I bought the D7000v2 router earlier this month after (mistakenly) thinking that my old DGN2200 router was causing some internet connection problems.  Turns out it is an issue with my ISP or BT.

But since setting up and using the D7000v2 the problems have become worse.  The D7000v2 has ever only managed not much more that half the connection rate that my (fairly) old DGN2200 router has.

Added to that, when the D7000v2 drops connection, which has been fairly regularly, it takes over 10 minutes sometimes to re-connect.  My old DGN2200 usually takes only 30 seconds to re-connect on the rare occasions that it drops connection.

Plus, although less importantly, but just as annoying, although I have the LED lights option set to flicker on all activity, the only ones that ever flicker are the wireless ones, sometimes.  I like to know if there is traffic on my LAN network, and as both my PCs are connected to the router by LAN cables the LAN LEDs, together with the internet LED, should all flicker.  None ever has.

After spending £159 unnecessarily on the D7000v2, what should have been a fantastic router is looking like a waste of a lot of money.

This all prompts me to take the D7000v2 back to PC World to get my money back.

Message 12 of 49
Lukebe
Tutor

Yep same issue. Bought it 2 days ago and regretting this purchase. I work in I.T and setup more modems than I can count.

My issues are:
1. Cannot upgrade to the latest firmware. Tried auto and manual with different computers/browsers. No errors, just doesn’t work.
2. The 2G WiFi doesn’t work right. 5G and wired works ok. I’ve seen other threads where netgear modems have issues with the 2G WiFi so suspect the same bug lies with this modem. Potentially a firmware update would fix it but since I can’t do that this modem is a paper weight.
Message 13 of 49

Uh oh, V2 may have the same disease as V1.

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues - Page 5 - NETGEAR Communities

I would not assume that you do not have the latest firmware. It could just be a misreporting issue.

But if you want to try another way of writing the firmware to the device, try the tftp approach. As a modem expert you probably know all about that, but here's the link just in case:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have tftp enabled in Windows 10, so no need for third party stuff. It is a pretty easy manoeuvre.

If this really is the same at the R7000, D7000 issue, try disabling Guest access, if you haven't already.

Message 14 of 49
Lukebe
Tutor

Yep that WiFi thread is exactly what I’m experiencing. I don’t think i’ll even bother upgrading firmware. That’s 2 serious issues with the D7000v2 so sending it back.
Message 15 of 49
JasonR2
Aspirant

Yep, same issues with the firmware and the 2G WiFi here. Having this happen after waiting patiently for the next firmware update to solve the 2G WiFi problems (after unsuccessfully trying the suggested fixes) has prompted me to boxed it back up and I will be returning it. Pretty disappointed in this router.

Message 16 of 49
wboolvic
Aspirant

Same problem here.  Bought D7000v2 several weeks ago.  Problems with internet disconnections.  Currently working with my ISP to identify cause.  Went to upgrade firmware from V1.0.0.42_1.0.1.  Went to 43, then another update went to 44.  Cannot get to 45 either by checking from within the router or by downloading the .chk file and uploading via ethernet cable.  I suspect Netgear has put up a lemon.  I'll wait a few weeks and try again.

Message 17 of 49
scorcher
Initiate

Same issue with firmware update and constant internet disconnections. I bought the router a couple of months ago and at first I was getting disconnections multiple times a day. It seems to have settled down now but it still seems to disconnect about once a week requiring a reboot to reconnect. From my investigations the issue seems to be with the DHCP IP address allocation. The disconnections seem to happen when different devices connect. I have allocated my regular devices static IP addresses which seems to have helped a bit but hasn't totally fixed the issue.

Message 18 of 49
Daz1967
Guide

Just an update on this issue...

I successfully DOWNGRADED the firmware to V1.0.0.40_1.0.1 a few days ago in an attempt to not only address the firmware update but also fix an issue with the constant disconnections (between 1 and 4 times a day) I've been having since buying this router on Christmas Eve 2017.

Anyway, I decided to again to use the automatic download to update to update to V1.0.0.45_1.0.1, as prompted, from V1.0.0.40_1.0.1. The firmware installed successfully and rebooted the router at the half way mark. On redisplaying the NETGEAR settings page the firmware version in the top-right hand corner shows as V1.0.0.44_1.0.1!!!

This proves that the issue is with the firmware version itself, perhaps the incorrect one is being installed or the version number of V1.0.0.45 has been accidentally left at V1.0.0.44. Whatever, this shows a shocking lack of testing/checking by NETGEAR as presumably everyone with this router will have this same issue when upgrading?

I have been in touch with support and they escalated the issue to level 2. I have just reported what I've written here this morning and await their response. If anyone else wants to confirm what I have discovered themselves by downgrading to a pre-V1.0.0.44 firmware and then trying to update to V1.0.0.45 and reporting this to NETGEAR then that would almost certainly 'motivate' them to fix it quicker.

Finally, I have to say that so far I have not been at all impressed with this router as an upgrade over my 6/7 year old DGND3300v2 as I seem to be having MORE internet disconnections with this new router than I had with that older one! The WiFi seems to be stable but I lose connection to the actual internet which in all cases can be fixed by just clicking the Test> button under BASIC > Internet Setup page suggesting that the issue is more likely with the router itself and not my internet connection (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption...?).

I have noticed that the Idle Timeout on this router is set to 5 minutes even though I using the Always Connected option. It is greyed out so there is no way to set it to 0 as I had it set on my previous router. I can't help wondering if that setting is the reason for the increased number of disconnections? The fact that the setting is greyed out means I cannot set it to 0 but then it may be that the Always Connected options means it is really set to 0. Very confusing really... I may have to ask support about that.

Message 19 of 49
HeadFullOfWool
Aspirant

I posted about the same firmware versioning issue and was directed to this thread by an emailed reply.

I am also very dissapointed with the instability of the internet/WAN-connection side on this router. 

I bought it based on several factors;

1. a strong review from PC Pro magazine (for the Nighthawk router range).
  2. It provides an upgrade path from ADSL to VDSL (I've been waiting for fibre).
  3. It offers greatly improved dual-band WiFi features
  4. It offered a configuration wizard for my ISP - PlusNet (not that I really needed this, but figured it was a plus).

It replaced an 6-year old D-Link with only single-band 2.5GHz WiFi offered via small internal ariels.

I may end up going back to my old D-Link simply 'cos it at least held the WAN connection up for months without needing force-connected - compared to random 0-to-multiple times a week with this D7000v2.

It's ridiculous that such an expensive router from such a HUGE global brand name should perform so poorly - reading that it's effecting so many people it can't possibly all be our ISP's - especially when older hardware still connects and STAYS connected for far longer on the same line!

Could it be their attempts at optimisation on the ADSL speed is too much and is just making it flaky?

I like the system - the interface is easy to use, etc and the WiFi is definitely better, but OMG the lack of WAN connection stability is frustrating...

Message 20 of 49
massig
Guide

I have the same issue ... Install 44 instead of 45.

Also have constant disconnects on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.

You can email an email at Netgear  -  *****@netgear.com

He is a product manager and I spotted his name on the D7000 thread...

Worth escalating the issue on the V2 too!

I had a D7000 (with issue on 2.4Ghz) and Netgear replaced it with the V2 ... and now I have exactly the same issue (although it is a different chipse)... in fact it is even worse as the issue impacts both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

I have emailed again Netgear - who is currently focusing on fixing the V1 - so the V2 issue is not a priority!

You can email an email at Netgear *****@netgear.com

He is a product manager and I spotted his name on the D7000 thread...

Worth escalating the issue on the V2 too!

Message 21 of 49
myleghurts
Tutor

Bought the D7000V2 for use with TalkTalk fibre. No disconnections so far (only 2nd day) but have the same issue with the 45 firmware, tried wireless, wired, over-the-web and local files, tried turning router off first and all still say 44 installed and "upgrade available".

On plus side, I don't have the speed or phone battery issues that plagued me on the cheapo TT standard router.

Message 22 of 49

@myleghurts wrote:

....have the same issue with the 45 firmware, tried wireless, wired, over-the-web and local files, tried turning router off first and all still say 44 installed and "upgrade available".

You may or may not have the latest firmware. But if the thing works it isn't the end of the world.

The solstice break is over, the Netgear techs are on the case and trying to work out what is going on.

Keep your eye on the support pages. Don't waste any more time on this one.

Message 23 of 49
myleghurts
Tutor

Take your point about latest thread but have since

@michaelkenward wrote:

@myleghurts wrote:

....have the same issue with the 45 firmware, tried wireless, wired, over-the-web and local files, tried turning router off first and all still say 44 installed and "upgrade available".

You may or may not have the latest firmware. But if the thing works it isn't the end of the world.

The solstice break is over, the Netgear techs are on the case and trying to work out what is going on.

Keep your eye on the support pages. Don't waste any more time on this one.

@michaelkenward wrote:

hit the same issues as other people with current release and had to revert to 40.

Message 24 of 49
massig
Guide

Netgear tells me they are focusing on the V1 issues ... and not V2 ... 

Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7