Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 firmware update v1.0.0.45 will NOT install

There are two things going on here that explain the different priorities.

The D7000 v1 has wifi bugs that make the thing all but useless for some people.

The D7000 v2, which, from earlier messages here, uses a different router chipset, has an issue with firmware numbering. This bug seems to have minimal impact in the usability of the hardware for most people.

If you have a D7000 v2 and experience wifi issues, this will probably be down to something other than the cause of the bugs in the D7000 v1.

Nor are wifi issues with the D7000 v2 the subject of this conversation.

Anyone who wants help with wifi bugs and the D7000 v2 would do better to start a new conversation. In that way the Netgear team is more likely to spot it.

There is no point in joining the debate about the D7000 v1. It will only confuse the issue and is unlikely to elicit any useful advice.

Message 26 of 49
Tranman
Aspirant

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 27 of 49
Tranman
Aspirant

Mine is the same, set it up last night, speed excellent, easy to set up but keeps telling me I need a firmware upgrade and then nfails to carry it out, reverts to old version on reboot.  I'll try again sometime in the future !  

Message 28 of 49

@Tranman wrote:

I'll try again sometime in the future !  

That's the way to do it, to quote Mr Punch.

Message 29 of 49
Fizzylid
Initiate

I am now testing a beta version of the '45' firmware for the D7000v2, so the Netgear team are working on a fix for the firmware upgrade problem.
Message 30 of 49
evdanil
Aspirant

Same issue here, firmware update is not applied, after reboot still see old firmware installed.

Message 31 of 49
ngMan53
Aspirant

Same issue here! when will this be fixed?! this is an expensive router, why is it taking weeks?! 

Message 32 of 49
ngMan53
Aspirant

Hey Netgear! this modem wont update firmware settings still! How long till you sort this out? should i go and swap it for an asus? 

Message 33 of 49
Daz1967
Guide

To anyone experiencing this firmware update issue, which I believe is simply a version number mismatch rather than an issue with the firmware not actually installing, contact Support and request the beta firmware which is v1.0.0.46. You have to agree to testing it first but once that is done then NETGEAR Support will email a link to download the firmware.

I installed it last night after chasing Support again for the download link as I agreed to testing it last week but then never heard anything else for a week until they replied to my follow up message. So far it installed fine and shows as v1.0.0.46 so that is progress, I guess. I'm unclear on if there are any other fixes (I'm guessing not) but why it should take NETGEAR weeks to just fix a version number mismatch is beyond me. In the meantime, there is nothing on the v1.0.0.45 download page that makes any mention of this reported issue which is a somewhat glaring oversight in my opinion.

Does NETGEAR only have one person working in Support or something? This should have been looked into when it was first reported and a new version of the firmware released with the correct version number within a few days at most. OK, I might be wrong here but I am pretty sure the issue was only with the version number as when I updated to v1.0.0.45 both manually and using the automatic update feature from v1.0.0.38 then the version number displayed as v1.0.0.44. Not sure why the fix requires beta testing exactly but even if the newer v1.0.0.46 contains new fixes, there was nothing to stop NETGEAR releasing a fixed version of the v1.0.0.45 that, you know, actually *displayed* version 1.0.0.45 so that the router page wasn't always informing the user that a newer update was  available.

Message 34 of 49

@Daz1967 wrote:

To anyone experiencing this firmware update issue, which I believe is simply a version number mismatch rather than an issue with the firmware not actually installing, contact Support and request the beta firmware which is v1.0.0.46.

That was the theory I suggested at the beginning of this saga. I put it forward because it has happened before when Netgear got its firmware numbering wrong on another device.

@Daz1967 wrote:
....why it should take NETGEAR weeks to just fix a version number mismatch is beyond me. In the meantime, there is nothing on the v1.0.0.45 download page that makes any mention of this reported issue which is a somewhat glaring oversight in my opinion.

Probably too busy cleaning up the mess that Google has created with a Chromecast update that has brought down routers from a bunch of makers.

Message 35 of 49
wboolvic
Aspirant

I took my D7000v2 back to the dealer because thought the interruption to service was the router and not the ISP.  As I said in  aprevious post, the ISP was working on the issue. As a separate issue (and perhaps unrelated) the router was appearing not to do the firmware update. Since then, I have set up a Technicolor TG797n v3 (single band) router supplied by the ISP and I have the best service I have had for years, albeit not good range.  But my HP printer (wireless) works at the other end of the home better that when on an extender.

So my suggestion is that if you have interruptions of service have a "hard chat" to your ISP.  If the only issue is the firmware update, sit prettty until Netgear solve the confusion.

Was it my ISP or was it the router? Don't know.  I am curently happy in an environment where ther are only ~6 detectable networks and my Technicolor is dealing with my needs.

On  my experience I cannot bag out on Netgear.

Message 36 of 49
scorcher
Initiate

I have given up on Netgear and gone back to my old Netcomm router and will be returning the Netgear router for a refund. I do not care so much about the firmware version issue but the constant disconnections and IP address conflicts was more trouble than it is worth. This is basic router operation and if the device cannot perform the simple taks then it is not fit for purpose and Netgear should move heaven and Earth to fix it or recall product.

I am in IT support and I will be discouraging my cutomers from going anywhere near Netgear products. This is not the first time that I have had issues with Netgear but usually there is a timely solution. Not worth time and effort.

Message 37 of 49
Frodoscious
Aspirant

D7000v2 with the same issues.
1st upgrade broke 2.4ghz but 5ghz was working fine. Tried again and 2.4ghz came back.
Hoping for news of the new firmware here when it's released.
Message 38 of 49

There are two different things going on here.

The firmware thing is likely to be a trivial bit of housekeeping at Netgear's end. (See above.)

The subject of this discussion is the silly firmware numbering problem that Netgear has created for itself.

The wifi fault is probably down to Google's latest Chromecast fiasco.

Google Cast Wi-Fi disruption fix arrives tomorrow for Android - SlashGear

That's just one of a flurry or pieces out there.

The D7000V2 is one of several Netgear devices that succumbed to this one.

For example:

Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues - NETGEAR Communities

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

Message 39 of 49

Can I only get that download from support? Also, even though it says I had an install, went through the process, but never "updated" on the GUI... are you saying that it actually did upgrade, but not reflecting the version change to .45?

Message 40 of 49

@Norcalsteve22 wrote:

.. are you saying that it actually did upgrade, but not reflecting the version change to .45?

See above 

Message 41 of 49
rbbane66
Guide

After my experience, and after continually reading everyone else's issues and problems with the D7000v2, I eventually decided to take mine back to PC World last week.  Got a full refund, no questions asked.  £159 back in my bank!

As I had wanted it to set up a 2 router set up on my home network, I bought a (2nd hand) Netgear DGN2200v4 from EBay (£15) to go with my old (very reliable) DGN2200v1.  Everything working perfectly now.  Plus, after reading the DGN2200v4 manual, I discovered that it will also work with fibre, (if and when I get it), by using LAN port no.4.  A win-win situation all round!

I shall still continue to look at new models for a future upgrade, but at present my two DGN2200 routers are performing more that adequately.

Message 42 of 49

@@ wrote:
Plus, after reading the DGN2200v4 manual, I discovered that it will also work with fibre, (if and when I get it), by using LAN port no.4.  A win-win situation all round!

It might not be good idea to use this device on a fibre connection. The LAN specifications on the DGN2200v4 are:

10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45

It also has slow wifi, not even 5GHz by the look of it.

With fibre, you might lose some speed even if you have something like the 76 Mbps that BT offers with its Infinity.

Anything connected locally on your LAN is likely to run at a slower speed than the hardware can deliver. Most PCs now have 1000 Mbps LAN.

Now that some lucky people can get 1 Gbps Internet, 1000BASE-Tx is beginning to look tardy.

Message 43 of 49
Sondos
Aspirant

Message 44 of 49

wrote:

I have the R7000 and having same issue, word for word. Was only looking to update the firmware because of the amount of other problems I'm having with the thing. Dissapointing to see the this has been going on since xmas and the only place I can find info about this problem is a community post about a different model.

If you are having problems with installinmg firmware on the R7000, this will not be the same as those for the D7000v2.

The D7000v2 is a modem/router with a different chipset from the R7000, which is a router.

wrote:

....the only place I can find info about this problem is a community post about a different model.

That's because it is a different problem and people have not seen  similar issues with the R7000. Had there been any, we would have heard about it.

You would do better to start a conversation about your own issues.

There's no point in suggesting solutions here as it will only get in the way of the talk about the D7000v2.

Message 45 of 49
ryadre
Aspirant

Same issue here, brand new d7000v2 - tried to update via the modem, and also via downloaded file onto laptop. Both seem to install but version number stays at 44.

Message 46 of 49

Message 47 of 49
ryadre
Aspirant

Just received a 47 update. Previously had issues with Internet disconnect but now it has stayed on for the past 8 hours OK so fingers crossed
Message 48 of 49
Fizzylid
Initiate

Yes if its not flagging up for you the new firmware is available now...

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000v2.aspx#Firmware Version 1.0.0.47
Message 49 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7