Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 has internet on PC but no other devices with NBN

ocmiles
Aspirant

D7000v2 has internet on PC but no other devices with NBN

Hi,

I'm having a really strange error with my D7000v2. I have connected my PC to it via Wi-Fi and followed the NBN configuration steps from my provider. My PC is getting internet just fine. However, no other devices that connect to the Wi-Fi have internet access. I have tried on Android, OS X and iOS. They can connect to the Wi-Fi with no issues but have no internet access. If I access the router login page from any of the devices, it says that the internet is off.

Even stranger, I now cannot access the router login page from my PC at all (having tried routerlogin.com and .net, 192.168.0.1 which all worked initially).

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
ocmiles
Aspirant

Re: D7000v2 has internet on PC but no other devices with NBN

Quick addition - the internet light on the router isn't on! But I'm typing this right now on a computer connected to the internet via that network.

Message 2 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

Is it possible you are somehow connected to the device provided by your ISP and not the router (does that device have wifi in it)?

I hate to mess anything up, but it is not working now -- so when on the PC that has internet, turn the router off.  Still have internet?  If yes, router is not 'in the chain'.

Message 3 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

Can you connect to the router wired (not wireless) and follow provided steps to set it up?

Message 4 of 9

@duckware wrote:

Is it possible you are somehow connected to the device provided by your ISP and not the router (does that device have wifi in it)?

And while we are asking questions, what sort of NBN is this?

Netgear describes many devices as being NBN compatible, but in reality when it comes to things like the D7000v2, that's a modem/router and it has to be set up as router-only for some flavours of NBN.

Message 5 of 9
ocmiles
Aspirant

It's FTTC NBN.

The only device from my ISP is an NBN box, which doesn't have a WiFi signal. Plus the login details used are definitely for the Nighthawk.

I've just turned on an older Android phone (Android 7.0) and it also immediately connected to the router and had internet access. There's no sim card in it so it couldn't be anything else. The router internet light is still off, and my other device's (apart from the PC) don't have internet access.

Tried a wired connection setup, no change.
Message 6 of 9

Thinks about this bt for a second:

@ocmiles wrote:

I've just turned on an older Android phone (Android 7.0) and it also immediately connected to the router and had internet access.

Suggests to me that your modem.router and internet service are doing just fine. The PC rather confirmns that.

Maybe your other wifi clients need a good kicking.

Message 7 of 9
ocmiles
Aspirant

I've noticed that it if everything is disconnected, the first device to connect will have internet but no others will. Plus the first device won't be able to access the router login page.

As to whether my other devices need a good kicking, all of them work fine in every other network I've ever encountered. It's a pretty clear common denominator and that's the router.
Message 8 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] if everything is disconnected, the first device to connect will
> have internet but no others will. [...]

What is the IP address of that "the first device to connect"?

One way to get that behavior might be to configure the D7000v2 as a
wireless access point.  In that case, a settings reset ought to restore
normal (router-mode) operation.

> [...] Plus the first device won't be able to access the router login
> page.

When you do _what_, exactly?  "not able" is not a useful problem
description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what
happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions (commands)
with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be
more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

If the D7000v2 were configured as a WAP, then its (LAN) IP address
would be something other than its (router-mode) default, "192.168.0.1".

In any case of apparently bizarre behavior, a settings reset is a
reasonable thing to try.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7