Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 issues (not just firmware)

Sondos
Aspirant

D7000v2 issues (not just firmware)

Hey guys,

When I first setup my D7000, Both mine and my partners phones connected to it fine, both our laptops connected, and our 2 Samsung TV's, no problem. My Gaming Desktop however failed to connect but I wanted to wire it anyway so didn't spend much time on it. Wired worked fine.

Few weeks later I got my xbox out. It failed to connect to the wifi too. I had it by my desktop so just wired in as friends were waiting. 

I've since had a number of smart devices I can't connect, even the fitbit scales I bought her don't connect. No reason is typically given, things just fail.. but the laptops, phones and TV's have always been fine.

I friend came round tonight with a Google Wifi to see if that made any difference. Wouldn't work... searches for internet for a few minutes then fails... asks me to check I've plugged it in properly and try again. 

I've since tried to update the firmware and have spent the last hour reading other posts here as having the same issues with v1.0.0.45 that everyone else seems to be having. 

Had it a few months now so phone support is gone, doubt I get a refund now. By far the most I've ever spent on a modem router and it's been the biggest nightmare. I'm not a wizz at IT but I'm not dumb. Can anyone lend any advice in anyway,, please.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

When some devices happily connect to your wifi this suggests that you need to look at the stuff that won't connect.

Do these devices see the SSIDs that other devices see?

wrote:

My Gaming Desktop however failed to connect ...

What happens when you try? It is hard to diagnose "things just fail".

I assume that you have not configured the D7000v2 to block access in some way.

There is a manual for the D7000v2 somewhere at the end of this link::

>>>> D7000v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 94, "Allow or Block Access to Your Network".

One final comment, did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware. This has certainly done the trick for some people experiencing wifi problems.

Message 2 of 6
w3wilkes
Prodigy

One thought I've encountered in the past when I've changed out a router. Did you keep the same SSID and wifi passwords? I've seen devices that you have to tell them to forget that network and then connect the device as if it's a brand new network. The device would fail connecting until I forced it to forget the old network with the same SSID/password.

Message 3 of 6

Excellent point.

I chip in only to add that the "devices" mentioned probably refers to wifi clients. The stuff that you are trying to connect to the router

Message 4 of 6
UKDave
Guide

I had mutltiple problems with this router,  things would not connect, my PC in  Windows 10 File manager could not see the network (or networked devices),  access to the router settings was not possible as it locked up...  As discussed here https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/What-to-buy-instead-of-D7000v2/td-p/1488764

Look at the Amazon.co.uk reviews with 1 star.  My personal conclusion is this router should not be for sale.  I tried two D7000v2 units and both were the same.  I wasted hours on this unit.  I got a rufund on the Netgear unit and got a TP-Link AC1900 (Archer900 v2) instead.   Everything works immediately, no issues, no conflicts with other devices...  So all the "is it your device?  is it Windows10 updates? is it you?" questions are answered by "no - its the Netgear unit".  If it were me I would return the unit to where you got it, tell them it does not work and you want a refund - you have a years warranty I would hope.  Use this forum as evidence, use the Amazon 1 star reviews as evidence.   Sometimes you have to just walk away and not try and fix it.

Message 5 of 6
tasmansaroha
Tutor

My Netgear D7000v2 working smooth with procedure :

1. Downgrade firmware to version D7000v2-V1.0.0.38_1.0.1.chk

2. After Downgrade make your Netgear D7000v2 to factory default.

3. Setting your router (Make All Settings on firmware D7000v2-V1.0.0.38_1.0.1)

4. Backup your setting.

5. After setting complette, you can upgrade to latest version D7000v2_FW_V1.0.0.47_1.0.1

6. With this procedure My Netgear D7000v2 working smooth 2.4 GHZ ok, DHCP Ok, router stable.

7. Never do factory defaults other than in version D7000v2-V1.0.0.38_1.0.1.chk

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7