Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 - new firmware notification email, but present firmware is the latest?

GaT7
Tutor

D7000v2 - new firmware notification email, but present firmware is the latest?

Hi, I received an email notification this morning that my firmware needed updating for security reasons.

However, when I check via Netgear Genie, routerlogin & the online support page, it says the firmware is up-to-date & the same as what I already have installed - i.e. v1.0.0.66: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000v2.aspx#download

Where do I get this new 'phantom' security firmware update from please?

If it's not yet available for download, why send these notifications out in the first place?

Come on Netgear, you'll have been in this business for over 25 years...frustrating!

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: D7000v2 - new firmware notification email, but present firmware is the latest?

Seems like we see this every few months where netgear sends out batch emails for firmware updates. for people who're already updated and current. Its a bit frustrating on here as its a bit of a waste of time for those that have already done it. But it does help those who haven't. 

So not sure if its good they do it or not. Just wish there was a better recognition for those that have already updated. 

But then netgear would have to track what versions people are on and then you get people complaining about privacy rights. 

So its a rock-----router------hardplace conundrum.

Track peoples firmware versions and get privacy complaints or just send out batch emails and deal with complaints of "i'm already up to date". 

Its a no-win situation

Message 2 of 6
GaT7
Tutor

Hi plemans,

Thanks for replying. The previous update came out in Dec2020 & I received a similar email then for this version, which I updated within a few days.

When I received the latest email I thought a newer version had been posted, it might still do. Will have to wait & see...

Message 3 of 6

@plemans wrote:

Seems like we see this every few months where netgear sends out batch emails for firmware updates. for people who're already updated and current. Its a bit frustrating on here as its a bit of a waste of time for those that have already done it. But it does help those who haven't. 

It is also suspiciously like marketing. A way of reminding you that Netgear is still there and prepared to take your money.

Maybe I am just being cynical.

Message 4 of 6
GaT7
Tutor

Thanks guys, for continiuing to take the time to reply.

I guess I put Netgear on a bit of a pedestal & thought they send out genuine emails when it comes to security updates.

They send me regular marketing emails (one every 10 days on average) on the side, so I thought this was a genuine alert, oh well!

Message 5 of 6

@GaT7 wrote:

I guess I put Netgear on a bit of a pedestal & thought they send out genuine emails when it comes to security updates.

It may have been "genuine" in Netgear's terms. But it has no way of knowing if you had applied any firmware updates since it last wrote to you.

They could avoid sending you these emails by keeping track of (spying on) your router so that they know what your current firmware version is. That sort of surveillance would scare the heck out of many customers.

@GaT7 wrote:

They send me regular marketing emails (one every 10 days on average) on the side...

Cripes. I don't get anything like that much traffic. I probably signed off that list.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7