Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 requires reboot at least every 7 days

mhaselup
Guide

D7000v2 requires reboot at least every 7 days

This issue is with a D7000v2 router (the dropdown on this forum page does not have this listed and needs updating)

The router requires a reboot at least every 7-10 days. The symptoms indicating the need for a reboot are:

Wifi on Samsung phone drops out intermittently and fails to reconnect with authorisation failure for a correct stored password

Apple TV connections drop out

Cannot login to router admin page (192.168.0.1) from iMac computer eventually followed by loss of connection to internet from same iMac.

Ultimately I have to reboot router (power cycle) and everything works again for the next week.

This appears to be a firmware problem that might be shared with common code in other router versions e.g. R7000  see: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-drops-internet-about-every-7-days-or-s...

Log files are emailed from this router every 24 hours to an email account. Looking through the log files does not reveal anything helpful to diagnose the problem.

Firmware version currently installed is V1.0.0.56_1.0.1

Updated firmware to V1.0.0.62_1.0.1 to see if this fixes the problem. Modem power-cycled at 1:04 pm Friday, 11 September 2020 (AEST)

Message 1 of 0
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: D7000v2 requires reboot at least every 7 days

Please post about this over in the DSL modem forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Thank you, 

Message 2 of 11
mhaselup
Guide

Seems to be in this forum already?

Message 3 of 11

@mhaselup wrote:

Seems to be in this forum already?

Netgear's moderators can move things to the appropriate place.

It may be in the right place now, but I am having a hard time trying to understand what the original message is for. Is it the reboot thing?

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 11
mhaselup
Guide

This relates to a D7000v2 router (being used a router connected to NBN i.e. nothing in front of it).

I believe the issue is unreliable Netgear firmware from which I have recently upgraded to hopefully fix the issue. It is currently running V1.0.0.62_1.0.1 and has been up for 4 days. Previously it wouldn't make it past 7-10 days before requiring a reboot so still a week to go on this test.

If the problem persists I will likely move over to DDWRT as it seems to be more stable and offers a more comprehensive set of features.

Message 5 of 11

The lack of detailed information on your network makes it hard to even guess at what is happening.

@mhaselup wrote:

This relates to a D7000v2 router (being used a router connected to NBN i.e. nothing in front of it).

That's not normal. NBN usually has some sort of Internet technology that needs a modem.

You either need a modem in front of the D7000v2 in router mode, or you use it in modem/router mode. We still don't know what type of NBN you smoke.

What is the ISP and what is the flavour of NBN? This can affect the settings that you have to use for the modem.

That you are trying to login to the D7000v2 through 192.168.0.1 suggests that it is in modem/router mode. But that's just a guess.

@mhaselup wrote:

If the problem persists I will likely move over to DDWRT as it seems to be more stable and offers a more comprehensive set of features.

Is there alternative firmware for the D7000v2? The people who write stuff like DD-WRT don't usually mess around with modems. It isn't in the list of supported devices:

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Message 6 of 11
mhaselup
Guide

This is my first test of firmwareV1.0.0.62_1.0.1 for the D7000v2. Router finally gave up after running for 6 days. LEDs on front panel are frozen so looks like the processor has hung. Have rebooted at 10:52am.

It's warm weather here today and the router is a bit warm. I'm wondering if this is a hardware overheating issue. If so I don't expect to get another 6 days before needing to reboot. I don't think the stock firmware allows the monitoring of CPU temperature.

As observed the DDWRT is unavailable for the D7000 router (it is available for the R7000 router only version) so I'm stuck with the stock firmware.

Message 7 of 11
mhaselup
Guide

This is interesting https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-crashing-freezing-hanging-fix/m-p/1856576

When it hangs again (I have just rebooted at this point) I'll take a look inside and see if there is evidence of overheating being the problem.

Message 8 of 11
mhaselup
Guide

This time the router made it to 10.5 days. Required a reboot this morning.

Same symptoms clients on network can't connect (iPhone, iMac, Android) and show authorization errors when trying to join wifi with saved passwords. Also can't login to router console on 192.168.0.1

No useful information in archived logfiles (simply logging DHCP renewals. Obviously cannot see current logfile as cannot connect to device.

This looks like a resource problem e.g. a memory leak. Behaviour occurs after roughly the same period of time in each case.

Message 9 of 11
mhaselup
Guide

Router managed 11 days this time before freezing. This is clearly a firmware issue that needs someone who cares @netgear to pay attention. I've had a number of Netgear routers over the year and primarily bought them because I was familiar with how to set them up. I couldn't honestly recommend Netgear to anyone else given the poor quality of (at least) the software in the product. Maybe it's time to move on to another vendor.

Message 10 of 11
crouchingmuppet
Initiate

I have exactly the same problem with this router.  I am running the latest firmware version and in fact this is the second unit (exact same modem D7000v2) I have tried with the exact same setup.

I have narrowed the issue down to a totally unresponsive device.  The Wifi SSIDs drop away and cannot be connected to, the LAN ports also no longer respond and NETGEAR genie is no longer able to contact device.  Even the modem lights are frozen (and that is after changing the setting to ensure they blink).

I chose Netgear because I had read articles that indicated they were quite responsive to bugs in the firmware.  Given the age of this thread and lack of any action, I can see that was simply not true.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7