Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 - 2.4 ghz wifi dropping out - Still

Vidaea
Tutor

D7800 - 2.4 ghz wifi dropping out - Still

Hi @netgear

I have a X4S D7800, mine is fairly new but i certainly should have done more reading before upgrading to this product.

The 2.4 wifi dropouts are still an issue after more than 18 months based on the age from some of the posts Ive read.

Could you either please fix it now or at least let us know its not going to happen so we can go and get a refund as this product is not fit for purpose and yet still for sale.

Thanks

Matt

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 27
Supercoops
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue - only had it 1 week and wifi drops 1-2 times a day, all lights say everything is fine but no wifi is broadcast (and you lose internet connection) power cycle is the only way to restore.  Assumed an overnight reset would work but today it dropped 15mins after power cycle

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 2 of 27

Hello!

I have the exact same problem on my D7800 running on V1.0.1.56

Just randomly the 2.4GHz connection drops out, when I go to reconnect on a device it says 'Unable to connect' - The only way i've found of fixing it is turning the device on and off, but it's just a question of when it'll happen again. It's a daily thing now after a number of months being absolutely fine. 

The 5GHz wifi seems fine, however not all my devices connect to this.

Anybody got a fix for this??

Message 3 of 27
CCSS
Tutor

I'm having this exact same issue with the same modem! Have you managed to fix this? As you said, this issue has been going on for ages, yeah no word from Netgear or any proper fixes.

I have the D7800 and had it on the latest firmware, though the issue was still there. I've downgraded the FW to V1.0.1.22 but no dice. I've factory restored the unit mulitple times, trying all different sets of configs as mentioned by various people online - but nothing works. I've 100% sure at this point that it's a problem with the unit itself.

So angry that I paid $450 for this and the wifi drops out constantly on the 2.4Ghz radio. Looking online lots of people have this issue and Netgear hasn't done anything about it. Really sad.

I seems to only be the 2.4Ghz that does it so I've started moving all devices to the 5Ghz to see if there are still issue/s. Obviously not a fix, but a workaround for now.

This is what happens: 2.4ghz Wi-Fi channel disappears sometimes. If you see it and try to connect to it it asks for password. You put in passwork, and it says its incorrect. Reboot the router and all is fine for a short period, then it starts happening again.

In the logs, the only thing that stands out is: WLAN Access Rejected: Incorrect security

Please, has anyone had this issue and fixed it? If so, how??

UPDATE: I've had my devices on 5Ghz for about a week or two now, haven't had any issue/s. This obviously isn't a solution, but might help in fixing/diagnosing the issue?

Thanks

Message 4 of 27

very early days, but i reset my modem and then disabled QoS (quality of service) and so far all seems to be fine. fingers crossed!
Message 5 of 27
Vidaea
Tutor

Yep you are all describing the exact issue that some have been dealing with for a long long time. With no action to fix it.

I could also move my kids stuff over to %ghz but i use scheduling on mine to get them off the internet at night and don't want to shut down the %ghz as well as tv and security is on that system.

I'm finding the box this weekend to take this boat anchor back to JBhifi for a refund. More than happy to ring the ombudsman if they make it difficult for me, have also drafted my complaint to  ACCC as well - Selling a defective product with no intention to fix it. 

And all this post needed was some wort of acknowledgment from Netgear, but nothing.

Message 6 of 27

nearly 3 weeks since disabling QoS function i have had 100% uptime. i suggest you try it.
Message 7 of 27
Vidaea
Tutor

I went with a refund instead, 100% uptime 😉

Message 8 of 27
Supercoops
Initiate

I also went with the 100% uptime option by returning for a refund. No point paying for product features and not being able to use them. Tha is for the tip though
Message 9 of 27

yeah unfortunately i didn’t have the option to return the router, but in hindsight i wish i picked something better. just posting the tip for those like me who have to stick with it.
Message 10 of 27
CHorn
Aspirant

I have also been facing a similar issue, except it's my 5ghz that drops out. At least 1-2 times a day I needed to either reboot or "touch" the Wi-Fi configuration (use the "Apply" button) to bring back the 5ghz functionality. I've seen many posts that seem to have very similar experiences with either the 5ghz or 2.4ghz frequencies dropping out or devices receiving an "invalid password" message. All very frustrating considering the cost of this "brick"!

After trying all the suggestions I’ve read online, factory reset, flashing the firmware with different versions, disabling QoS, changing the channel, co-existence settings and beam forwarding etc., nothing has worked. However, I decided to see if fixing my ipaddress would change anything. So, I first reduced the DHCP pool size down to 100 (1-100) and moved my 2 iPhone and PC to be fixed IP (>100); my iPhone was usually the first device I would see the 5ghz drop. By just changing the DHCP pool size and moving 3 devices to fixed IP, I have had a stable 5ghz connection for 2 days! Not sure why this worked (so far), or if this will help anyone else, but just putting it out there. 

Message 11 of 27
TonyKuc
Initiate

Same issue here. I'm well out of warranty unfortunately.

2.4ghz dissappears requiring a power off / on but sometimes hoses all configuration back to factory after the power cycle.

Configure again then OK until next time. Sometimes the power off / on works, other times config gone.

I'm on the latest firmware as of Dec2020. 

Very dissappointing as this router here in Australia is top end domestic and quite expensive. 

A big shame as when it's all working it's great.

Unfortunately this is my last home Netgear product as I've had enough.

Very poor support and no responsibility taken for product problems. Been caught out badly with some of their products. Much frustration.

Message 12 of 27
marlof
Tutor

I am having to reboot my Nighthawk X4S D7800 every few days due to drop outs. the 5Ghz connection seems to go first. My phone will drop back to the 2.4 signal. I manually switch it back to the 5Ghz  SID, it goes through the motions of "Connecting->Connected" but as soon as it connects it drops out again. More recently my printer has struggled to even connect to the 2.4Ghz SID and only a restart of the WIFI settings (for example changing the speed via the GUI or a reboot or full power cycle) lets things back in again. I've even had to stop using my Nighthawk X4S D7800 as my primary ADSL router and have had to go back to the ISP router handling all the guest traffic, with my Netgear acting as a secondary network for my private stuff.

Message 13 of 27

@marlof wrote:

I've even had to stop using my Nighthawk X4S D7800 as my primary ADSL router and have had to go back to the ISP router handling all the guest traffic, with my Netgear acting as a secondary network for my private stuff.

Without knowing more details – the brand and model of the ISP router for example – it is hard to know what is going on. But as described, that arrangement is asking for trouble. It is all too easy to get the configuration wrong.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that started near on a year ago. It may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

For example, you say nothing about any changes you have tried for the wifi bands. We don't even know what firmware you have on your modem/router.

Message 14 of 27
Vidaea
Tutor

Don’t be a fan boy. There is enough info about this problem spammed all over the forums.

There is nothing extra you would achieve, that the hundreds if not thousands of users having this problem havnt tried.

And what exactly is the point of him/her starting there own question. Even this thread was only asking for netgear to acknowledge a problem and advise they weren’t abandoning its users.

But what did we get. NOTHING. Then some super user years later attempting to tell us we are having this fault coz of our own fault. “It’s not us, it’s you, we shouldn’t be together anymore”
Message 15 of 27

That response proves that there isn't much point in hanging around in this discussion. With luck @marlof will have a more intelligent response.

If, as I suspect, they came here seeking help rather than someone complaining about the state of the universe, they should ignore the noise and start a fresh discussion.

Message 16 of 27
marlof
Tutor

Thanks for everyone’s responses. More than I expected and I do appreciate the effort in those responses. I am indeed seeking help, but would also like to backup the original post from @Vidaea as I believe this is a problem with the Netgear device itself, and not just because I (or anyone else in this chain) want to complain about the “state of the universe”.

I think @michaelkenward may have missed my original point, my problem has nothing to do with me using my ISP provided router and the only benefit I can see of starting a new discussion is if gets dealt with from a different team....but I'm sure we can take a breath and start again?

Kindly accept my “intelligent response” below:

Hardware Version             D7800
Firmware Version              V1.0.1.60
GUI Language Version       V1.0.0.361
Operation Mode                Router
LAN Port
MAC Address        3C:37:86:1C:B9:xx

I used to use the Netgear X4S as my main router but it became unreliable, constantly dropping out Wi-Fi and refusing to allow Wifi devices to reconnect until I had rebooted it. I checked the other local Wi-Fi signals in the area with Wi-Fi Analyzer and made sure my channel wasn’t the “busy” one, tried using different modes increasing and decreasing the speed. I even tried using the DFS range for my 5Ghz devices. Every change I made seemed to work fine, but only for a few days. I found out later that was the "touch" fix (any change reset the wifi) but after a few days it was back to the drop outs again much to the frustration of my family. Then one day it lost ALL configuration and switched itself back to factory settings. I spent an hour desperately trying to get the ISP password again before setting the Netgear up once more, again with the family on case. Only for further dropout issues over the coming weeks.

Me switching back to my ISP’s router as the primary device is as a result of the Netgear being unreliable.

Once that was in place I initiated a factory reset of the Netgear (on my terms) before configuring it to use the ISP’s router. Letting general access devices and guest network run from the ISP Router (192.168.1.x) and keeping my wired-NAS, wifi-printer (2.4Ghz), 2 wired-PC’s and occasionally my smartphone (2.4/5Ghz) on the Netgear network (192.168.2.x).

ISP -> [(Some Internet-IP) ISP Router (192.168.1.1)] -> [(192.168.1.254) Netgear D7800 (192.168.2.1)]

I thought if I reduce the load on the Netgear by reducing the number of devices from 30 to around 5, might help, but the Netgear still has issues. This is why I am convinced it’s a problem with the Netgear itself.  What I don’t know is, if it’s the quality of the hardware or the firmware. I keep hoping that the next firmware will fix the issues, but they don’t. On a positive note, the ethernet side works fine and the firewall helps me protect my NAS and wired PCs from guest and general access, but that’s the only thing the Netgear X4S has going for it. I have left advanced wireless settings default (so implicit beamforming is enabled), turned off the all but power LED, turned off the USB port, turned off guest network, turned off VPN, turned off DDNS, only 1 port forwarding setup, no access bridge, but nothing seems to help.
The ISP router can handle everything fine so I trust you can appreciates customers frustrations as I am also thinking  "why did I spend so much money on a top end device?" and "why would I consider Netgear for future purchases?". Please can we have a constructive discussion? What else should I try, what more information can I provide? What diagnosictic tools can I use to help get to the underlying issue?

Message 17 of 27

@marlof wrote:

I think @michaelkenward may have missed my original point, my problem has nothing to do with me using my ISP provided router

This is highly likely. The D7800 is a modem/router. I perhaps mistakenly assumed that you were using it as a modem/router.

If you are using it in modem only mode or router only mode, as a wireless access point or even a wireless bridge, then those are different scenarios.

The original posts say nothing about using a D7800 in modem only mode or in router only mode.There was certainly nothing in the post from @Vidaea to suggest a non-standard implementation of the D7800.

Using terms like "primary ADSL router" only add to the muddle. ADSL needs a  modem, or modem/router not a router. We still don't know what modem you have, although that probably does not how the D7800 delivers wifi, unless you have somehow set these things up in a way that lands you in double NAT (two router) country.

Let's not even start with Netgear X4S, which could describe several Netgear devices, of which the D7800 is just one.

Given this sort of confusion, I think it very easy to miss whatever original point you were trying to make. My point was that your circumstances appear to be unlike those described by other people who have made valid complaints about the wifi they see from their D7800 modem/routers.

Message 18 of 27
marlof
Tutor

The problem remains! Regardless of how I use the D7800, it drops Wifi connections and doesn't allow them to reconnect without manual intervention on the D7800 side. It's either a hardware problem or a software problem as it always remains regardless of configuration. Being a software or hardware problem, it means the devices isnt fit for purpose, which I think is the point of this discussion. 

Message 19 of 27
marlof
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

The D7800 is a modem/router. I perhaps mistakenly assumed that you were using it as a modem/router.

I originally used the D7800 as a modem/router (plugged into the phone socket) until it became too unreliable to use as a modem/router.

If you are using it in modem only mode or router only mode, as a wireless access point or even a wireless bridge, then those are different scenarios.

Each scenario I have tried results in the same wifi drop out issue. The problems with wifi dropouts and failure to reconnect remain over different use case scenarios and user configuration settings.

The original posts say nothing about using a D7800 in modem only mode or in router only mode.There was certainly nothing in the post from @Vidaea to suggest a non-standard implementation of the D7800.

It was originally used as a standard modem router (pluged into a phone line). I had to switch too other scenarios because the D7800 was unreliable with its wifi and is still unreliable with its wifi.

Using terms like "primary ADSL router" only add to the muddle. ADSL needs a  modem, or modem/router not a router. 

I thought the D7800 was a modem/router. It was plugged directly into the phone line and provided wired and wifi. When it became unrelaiable with wifi (and even started factory resetting itself) I had to put the ISP modem/router back and used the D7800 as a router for some other devices.

We still don't know what modem you have, although that probably does not how the D7800 delivers wifi, unless you have somehow set these things up in a way that lands you in double NAT (two router) country.

The D7800 was used as the modem/router but it became unreliable with wifi so I had to put my ISP's modem/router back and have been using the D7800 in router mode but the is still unrelaibale and wifi keeps dropping out and refusing to connect.

Let's not even start with Netgear X4S, which could describe several Netgear devices, of which the D7800 is just one.

My bad. I'll just call it a D7800. 

Given this sort of confusion, I think it very easy to miss whatever original point you were trying to make. My point was that your circumstances appear to be unlike those described by other people who have made valid complaints about the wifi they see from their D7800 modem/routers.

My circumstances were originally the same as @Vidaea, I just tried my best to work the problem and try to find a solution where the D7800 works more reliably, but everything I have done fails and nothing seems to fix the issue, similar to the the support so far. 

The D7800 is unreliable with wifi. It is either a hardware problem or a software problem.  If you could ask me the right questions to get the problem fixed that might be useful. If you @michaelkenward are not a suitable person to work this problem with me, kindly point me in the direction of somebody who is. 

Message 20 of 27

Your explanation is now clearer. You seem to have done a significant amount of research to test this thing in different modes. The bottom line is that the wifi is dodgy.

We knew that from modem/router mode. You have now shown that it does the same thing in other modes. (That wasn't obvious from earlier messages.) Good research

If you @michaelkenward are not a suitable person to work this problem with me, kindly point me in the direction of somebody who is. 

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

There are ways that some of us can get messages to the official Netgear tech folks, but I'm not going to pass on confusing and vague accounts that are short of details.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

My take is to avoid anything that trues to act as a modem and a router. That restricts your choice of router features and can land you with problems, as I did when using a D6400 in modem only mode. (I wouldn't even consider using a modem/router in router only mode.) 

I had to go to some lengths to get two DSL modem only devices (The DM200.) But "modem only" DSL is dying for reasons that I cannot fathom, as suppliers abandon the market.

Message 21 of 27
marlof
Tutor

It just happened again! My wifi connections dropped and a hardwired connection kept having issues so I used another wired connection to reboot the router, but guess what..... it didnt reboot it actually factory reset itself!!!!!!! This is really p***ing me off!

I raised a Netgear support case and had 24 hours to call them, I tried to call them 10 times over the next 48 hours and it always hung up over 6 rings. Twice after 6 rings it got reconnected to a different ring tone, both times they hung up as well.

Capture.PNGCapture0.PNG

The product is useless, the support is useless. I am done with Netgear and will not recommend the products or company to my customers.

Message 22 of 27
marlof
Tutor

Raised another support request and was given a different phone number to call - that one worked this time.

Spoke to a lovely lady who said they could put me through to support if I purchase a support plan.

Netgear - "When you puchase a support plan I can put you through to support and they will go through how to reset the device. Which plan would you like?"

Me - "Erm, pardon? There is a fundamental problem with the device and its not fit for purpose. The device has already factory reset itself - thats one of the problems."

She did go away and tried to see what she could do and eventually came back with...

Netgear - "It could be that there is an internal configuration corruption.... maybe during a powercycle or firmwareupdate."

Me - "So you admit it could be something internal, in other words its nothing I have done and not to do with how I configured it, and that if its internal, I cant fix it?"
Netgear - "Yes, so if you buy a support plan, I can put you through to support and they can go through the reset options and if its a hardware issue and if it is you can send it back for a replacement."

Me - "Erm - if its a config corruption, thats not hardware is it? Forgive but I dont wish to throw good money after bad. UK consumer law doesnt work that way. I thank you for your time, but you are just following Netgear bad customer service processes. I shall not be recommending Netgear products to my customers." 

After all of that I went away and found out where I bought it from and it was Amazon. There was a product support button and a note saying 2 years cover, so I clicked the link. Within 2 mins I was online chatting to a support person from Amazon and after a single sentence of "Wifi keeps dropping out and after research it seems to be a common problem" they simply checked something and came back with "Under the cirsumstances, please send the device back for a full refund." Seems that Amazon also know about the problems with this device.

Well Done Amazon!

Good bye Netgear!

Message 23 of 27

awesome result from amazon! ah man i wish i knew about this sooner, i got purchased mine late 2017 from amazon and just checked the support, but unfortunately doesn’t give me any notice of 2 years support, because i guess the time period has lapsed.

ah well, it’s been sat in the cupboard for a year with the hope that something will get done about the issues, but who am i kidding. should probably just throw it in the bin.
Message 24 of 27
marlof
Tutor

Sorry this info was a bit late for you but lets hope somebody else is able to take advantage of this useful nugget of information. Amazon didnt even wait for the package to arrive. A few hours after the post office scanned the barcode I got an email:

We've issued your refund for the item below. Your return is now complete*.
NETGEAR D7800-100UKS Nighthawk...

Refund total: £197.69**
Refund will appear on your Visa in 5-7 business days.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7