Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 Dropping Settings

SimonJasper
Tutor

D7800 Dropping Settings

Does anyone else have an issue where your router constantly drops internet settings? I’ve had my ISP come to my house twice now and both times my D7800 has dropped all the Static IP config settings. Should I be returning this router to my place of purchase and replacing it? It’s only 4 months old.
Message 1 of 5
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Have you installed the latest firmware? It can be found here;

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7800.aspx#download

If version 1.0.1.56 does not show as current in automatic update there are instructions to manually update the firmware on page 203 of the manual. Be sure to use a wired ethernet connection to manually update the firmware. Once updated if you still have the issue you can try a factory reset of the modem/router. If it still doesn't work I'd return it for another brand device. This sounds like a firmware problem which another D7800 will have the same issue so I'd just go ahead and get a different brand from Netgear. 

Message 2 of 5
SimonJasper
Tutor

Thanks for that w3wilkes, yeah, I’d tried all that before but just gave it another go just in case, still having issues. Think it may be either a faulty product or as you suggested, problems with the d7800 firmware. What other model router would you suggest? My requirements are at least 4 Ethernet ports and ability to port forward. I’m running Ubiquiti AP’s so range doesn’t really bother me but download/upload speed does so my Plex server doesn’t buffer. I’m thinking the AX8 AX6000 Nighthawk.
Message 3 of 5
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Sorry, but my opinion of Netgear has majorly soured over the last few years, especially their combo modem/router devices unless it's a device that has 3rd party firmware available. I'm only aware of 2 Netgear modem/routers that have 3rd party firmware available, DGND3700(v1) and D7000(v1) which are both EOL from netgear. I use the DGND3700(v1) with 3rd party firmware and think this is a super stable and reliable device with this firmware. From what I gather on these boards those with the D7000(v1) running 3rd party firmware are also very pleased. If you go with a Netgear device I'd get just a wifi router and then get a seperate xDSL modem, but again these forums paint a somewhat problematic view of the Netgear DM200 modem.

Message 4 of 5

@w3wilkes wrote:

If you go with a Netgear device I'd get just a wifi router and then get a seperate xDSL modem, but again these forums paint a somewhat problematic view of the Netgear DM200 modem.

Strange. I have seen very few complaints here about the DM200, expect when people fail to realise that it is a modem/router that has to be put into modem only mode to play nicely with a router.

I got a DM200 because trying to use a D6400 in modem only mode was a pain. The modem worked just fine, but it took so long to connect at start up that the router timed out and failed to connect. A real nuisance after power cuts.

The DM200 is an inexpensive and trouble free DSL modem.

Netgear seems to have given up on modem development. Nothing new for some years.

In general, experienced users prefer to keep modem and router as separate devices. If nothing else, router-only boxes get quicker and more frequent firmware updates.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7