Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 IPv6 Not Issued on Connection

A_Saint
Aspirant

D7800 IPv6 Not Issued on Connection

I have sucessfully set up my D7800 router for a Native IPv6 Address.  When I first apply the settings within the Web Interface, I wait a few seconds then all my devices get their own IPv6 address using SLAAC.  Perfect.

Now, when a device disconnects from the network and then reconnects, it never gets an IPv6 address again until I press Apply on the IPv6 tab of the router.  Devices this has been proven on are:

• a Raspberry Pi (Arch Linux ARM)
  • Linux Laptop (Arch Linux)
  • MacBookPro (macOS 10.13.6)
  • Window 7 Laptop
  • iPhone on (iOS 12.4)

So with 5 devices all giving the exact same conditions I presume the problem is the router is not broadcast or listening for some messages.  I have done all tests I can think of.

Additional:  On Auto Detect for IPv6 I get 6to4 Tunneling and IPv6 addressing works as expected on disconnection and reconnection.  However setting to PPPoE (as I am now) I am getting a native IPv6 IP and all works perfectly except as above.

Aditional2: I have just noticed that although I get a Prefix (2a00:23c4:.....) and all is able to connect via IPv6, in the IPv6 tab 'Routers IPv6 Address on WAN' shows as 'Not Available'.

Does anyone know why this is happening and either a fix of workaround?  Thank you in advance.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @A_Saint, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
MiLz1983
Aspirant

Hi A_Saint. Did you manage to resolve this issue?

I just got and set up a D7800 on Sky Fibre. I notice aswell I click apply on ipv6 and all is good but after some time it’s gone and have to click apply on the tab to get it back!

Any ideas? Thanks
Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 5
A_Saint
Aspirant

In short, no.

I did have long conversations with a tech suppot guy who tried really hard so I have to give them that.  However, ultimatly the answer is as you may have seem else where.  They simply have no intentions of updating the firmware to fix the problem.  I have since come accross other issues so I am thinking of replacing this router, only this time I will look else where as to buy a router that claims to be IPv6 capable only to find out it is not compatable with my ISP is shocking.  In addition to this, DDNS is saying I have no IPv4 address when I do so this will not update either.

Performance wise as a router for simple IPv4 internet and Wi-Fi without any other features in use I love this router, but since I need those features I also hate the router.

If you have only recently brougt the router as new, I would advise you return it if you need these features.  I was told the same and wished I listened.  The only reason I did not is because most people were ranting about the issues which made me feel they were perhaps not tech savvy and might be doing something wrong.  This was not the case however.

Sorry this can be of no further help.

Message 4 of 5
MiLz1983
Aspirant

A_Saint thank you for the response. I have been scouring the web and forums about this and it appears true what you say. I’ve been after this router for awhile, and read good reviews about it. I’m not network savvy but I was even aware of the Sky option 61 setup and still decided to purchase and managed to set that up relatively easy. I had no idea about this ipv6 issue. It’s mainly for my Xbox one X.

Thank you again for the response. It’s a shame about this issue
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7