Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 VPN won't enable if DDNS not enabled

rikofold
Guide

D7800 VPN won't enable if DDNS not enabled

I'm struggling to get VPN to work on my D7800.  I have a static IP address but when I attempt to enable the VPN I get the message below and it won't enable:

Dynamic DNS is suggested to be used alone with the VPN service. Please make sure you will enable the Dynamic DNS service or use Static IP address for your internet connection.

So the only way round it is to enable DDNS.  When I then attempt to connect via the Android OpenVPN client it sticks on 'connecting...'

Very possible there are two issues here.  I don't really care if I have to use DDNS because it's going to be static anyway (although I'd prefer not to) so the connection thing is the priority.  Not convinced it's not all related though. 

Anyway, any thoughts?  Firmware is v1.0.1.10, and this one does support Android clients.  Client is up to date.  This router replaces an R7000 that worked perfectly well VPN wise.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
rikofold
Guide

Ok, noticed today that the static IP was actually set up as a dynamic IP address that was simply being re-leased to me over and over again. Changed it, but apparently I'm now not working to my isp's recommendations, damn them. 

I now have another issue in that the  VPN won't enable at all, just keeps refreshing the screen when I click apply, but I'll look for other posts on that.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
rikofold
Guide

Just noticed the date is set to Jan 01, 1970!!  That's not going to help - can't seem to get it to update though, any ideas? 

Message 2 of 4
rikofold
Guide

Reverted to previous firmware and the date now updates, but of course Android isn't supported for OpenVPN.  It also still demands I have DDNS. 

Message 3 of 4
rikofold
Guide

Ok, noticed today that the static IP was actually set up as a dynamic IP address that was simply being re-leased to me over and over again. Changed it, but apparently I'm now not working to my isp's recommendations, damn them. 

I now have another issue in that the  VPN won't enable at all, just keeps refreshing the screen when I click apply, but I'll look for other posts on that.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7