Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7800 can’t handle fibre?

thejasperchan
Aspirant

D7800 can’t handle fibre?

Hey guys, I’m sorry if this has been asked a million times — I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find any solution.

We have changed our current plan to fibre max four weeks ago, 1000mbs, and we’re not getting the right speed. We have the nighthawk d7800. Currently we’re getting around 200mbps download speed on both lan and wireless. I have tried testing the speed on several devices; windows laptop, MacBook,iPhones, Samsung, ps4 etc. Am I missing something? Or is there a guide that I’m supposed to be following or has been missed? Also I was just told that apparently d7800 just can’t handle high speed over pppoe? Is that true?

Please help.

Thanks I’m advance,

Modem: https://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/D7800.aspx

Guide that I followed: https://kb.netgear.com/30947/How-do-I-set-up-my-NETGEAR-router-if-I-have-Spark-NZ-Fibre-or-UFB
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/NetgearISPSettings#sparkd7800
Message 1 of 6

Re: D7800 can’t handle fibre?

The D7800 is a modem/router.

It works with DSL internet, so, no, it cannot "handle fibre" if you mean can it do the "modem" bit.

But your ISP probably provided some sort of box or termination that has a standard Ethernet LAN socket.

There is a support for the D7800, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See the section Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service.

This bypasses the modem bit so that you have just a router.

If you have just changed your internet service, you may want to reset the D7800 and ensure that you do not have stuff like QoS enabled.

Message 2 of 6
thejasperchan
Aspirant

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the reply, but ive already tried that setting and i was getting low speed. So, what i did was -- i just turned this modem into an access point (AP mode) and let it handle all the wireless-side. Now I have a new problem, after i changed to AP mode, it seems like my guest wifi isn't working anymore. The SSID shows and everything abut when you connect, it's actually not connected online? is there a reason for that? Does AP mode support guest wifi?

Thanks,

Message 3 of 6

@thejasperchan wrote:

Does AP mode support guest wifi?

No.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You never did say what your ISP's modem/termination is.

Message 4 of 6
Fuznutt4
Aspirant

Hey guys, have read the above and I have the same problem... is there any further developments on the above . My ISP is Spark. Cheers
Message 5 of 6

@Fuznutt4 wrote:
Hey guys, have read the above and I have the same problem...

Maybe, maybe not.

The original question lacks far too much information for anyone to be able to give definitive answers. Your message has even less detail.

The D7800 is a DSL modem/router. The only use for it on a cable service, or any Internet service that is not DSL, is as a router or a wireless access point (AP).

The manual for the D7800 explains how to use it on cable or as an AP.

There is a support for the D7800, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7