Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 voip and ipv6 problems

ND7800
Tutor

D7800 voip and ipv6 problems

This router works fine and is reliable overall. I am on latest firmware 1.0.1.60

The problems (Win10 Pro):

ipv6 - works for 10 minutes until ipv6 lease expires (no auto renew)

voip HT812 - ( incomming calls are fine, outgoing calls always timeout hence busy-tone no matter which number you call.

help - any fix for this?

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ND7800
Tutor

Okay, using my new router (AX50) fixed all those issues - ipv6 and voip flawless now!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies

@ND7800 wrote:

This router works fine and is reliable overall. I am on latest firmware 1.0.1.60

If this is the D7800, it is a DSL modem router.

@ND7800 wrote:

ipv6 - works for 10 minutes until ipv6 lease expires (no auto renew)

ipv6 comes on different flavours that depend on the ISP. Netgear's modem routers do not support some versions of ipv6  (Such as BT in the UK).

@ND7800 wrote:

voip HT812 - ( incomming calls are fine, outgoing calls always timeout hence busy-tone no matter which number you call.

Might need tweaking to match the voip service.

In both cases, it might be best to seek advice from whoever supplies these services.

Message 2 of 10
ND7800
Tutor

Okay Michael,

I am picking a newer nbn router this week (not Netgear), the D7800 is a 5 years old design - talking to my isp is a waste of time. If things work out for the better I'll post here

Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 10

@ND7800 wrote:

Okay Michael,

I am picking a newer nbn router this week (not Netgear), the D7800 is a 5 years old design - talking to my isp is a waste of time.

Good luck.

Be very careful to specify exactly what you need. NBN doesn't really exist. It is just a label that says "Oz Internet". It comes in various flavours with strange initials.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@ND7800 wrote:

...the D7800 is a 5 years old design - talking to my isp is a waste of time. If things work out for the better I'll post here

The D7800 is actually a modem/router for DSL Internet. As you say, it is now pretty old technology. So much so that Netgear doesn't make many DSL devices now and has stopped supplying the only one that I would contemplate. That's the DM200 modem only device.

Depending on the type of Internet that you have, and the hardware that your ISP provides, you may or may not need a modem at the front end.

Experienced users prefer separate modems and routers because that gives them a much better choice of router features.

The bit that matters is probably the router section and that has to be able to handle your voip and maybe also the ipv6.

Sadly, Australia's ISPs are not unique in being famously useless when advising customers. I have seen the same in the UK and reports from the US are not much better. In Oz. these people seem to be a good source of help:

Whirlpool Forums

Message 4 of 10
ND7800
Tutor

Okay, using my new router (AX50) fixed all those issues - ipv6 and voip flawless now!

Message 5 of 10

That's good.

Could be down to new technology with a purpose built router rather than a repurposed modem/router.

Message 6 of 10
ND7800
Tutor

Message 7 of 10
antinode
Guru

> Could be down to new technology with a purpose built router rather
> than a repurposed modem/router.

Because the presence of a modem induces bugs in an attached router?
Could you get any sillier?

A newer router (with some active firmware development) might have
different/fewer bugs when compared with the router in an older
modem+router in which the maker has lost interest.  Why would you blame
the modem for that?

Message 8 of 10
ND7800
Tutor

>A newer router (with some active firmware development) might have
different/fewer bugs when compared with the router in an older
modem+router in which the maker has lost interest. Why would you blame
the modem for that?<

yep, exactly my sentiments and the D7800 is from 2015 (first release) hence an 6 years old hardware design.

Message 9 of 10
ND7800
Tutor

Another important thing is the AX50 UI got the option to renew/release the ipv6 .... something the D7800 has not at all. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7