Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DG834Gv2 Web Administration Interface not loading fully from Windows 8

strandloper
Aspirant

DG834Gv2 Web Administration Interface not loading fully from Windows 8

I have had my DG834Gv2 for almost seven years and it still works fine except for the peculiarity described below. The router has the V3.01.29 firmware installed.

I recently installed Windows 8 on my desktop computer. I can still access the router's web administration interface and log in on http://192.168.0.1 but after I have logged in the interface is only partially loaded, with the mouse cursor staying in the spinning state as if the page is still waiting for something to finish loading. This happens in both Internet Explorer 10 and Google Chrome browsers. Refreshing the page results in the load stalling at different places.

The menu frame at left usually loads fully and some actions load correctly when selected from the menu, but others like Router Status never do. The header and help frames also load some times but not others.

If I access the web administration from my laptop or another family member's computer (all running Windows 7) the interface loads and works perfectly. It also loads and works perfectly from my iPad connected to the router via wi-fi.

I have also tried from Firefox in a Linux Mint virtual machine running in VirtualBox on the Windows 8 machine, with similar results to the two browsers running directly on Windows 8. It would seem therefore to be something in Windows 8 that is holding up the load. I thought it might be some kind of security response to something in the HTML being served by the router, but as no message is displayed and I don't see anything being logged in the event logs, this seems unlikely.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this? Might there be a workaround?
Message 1 of 8
sabretooth
Apprentice

Re: DG834Gv2 Web Administration Interface not loading fully from Windows 8

Well since Windows 8 is not released yet, I would wait.
Message 2 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

just like any other issues in web browser in O/S, use compatibility mode.

Also OLD router has OLD script that sometime will NOT work on newer browser. Sometime you do have to change the router because of old firmware with old scripts.

Windows RTM or released will not help at all. this is browser compatibility with OLD scripted interface in the router
Message 3 of 8
strandloper
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
just like any other issues in web browser in O/S, use compatibility mode.

Ah, didn't think of that. I'll try compatibility mode in IE 10; not sure if Google Chrome has a similar mode.
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Most people had issues with IE8 already with old devices so chances are if compatibility mode would not work then time for new router. DGxxx model is not yet EOL but you have V2 and DG goes to up to like V5 now so you are end of line to get cut off and not mention 802.11G routers.

We are not up in 802.11AC technology so probably going to some model of N router would better. ex WNDRxxx family.
Message 5 of 8
strandloper
Aspirant

No it doesn't look like a browser compatibility issue. Turning on compatibility mode in IE10 seems to make even less off the site load. Checking Chrome versions I see that the one on my Windows 7 laptop where the site loads fine is a slightly later build (22.0.1229.91 beta-m) than the one on my Windows 8 desktop (22.0.1229.79 m).

I don't see any reason to replace my router over this though. The routing and wi-fi functionality is still fine. That the administration web interface doesn't work is more of an inconvenience as there are still Windows 7 machines and iPads in our home that I can use when I need to access it. I am curious to know what the cause might be though.
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you have other o/s then I say you have okay and must depend on those that can.

good luck 🙂
Message 7 of 8
Barry20
Aspirant

This post is very late but it may help someone else searching for a solution. I had the same problem using Win 8.1. Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera failed to connect to the DG834.
I found a reference on another forum to using a standalone version of Firefox (sorry, I can't remember the link so I can't give credit). I uninstalled Firefox, downloaded the earliest version of Firefox I could find from http://sourceforge.net/projects/firefox.mirror/files/?source=directory and ran the file. I was able to navigate to the router and change the settings I needed!
In retrospect, I don't think I needed to uninstall Firefox before running the old version. Anyway, it worked well for me.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7