Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGN2200 as a fibre router

phobaphobic
Aspirant

DGN2200 as a fibre router

I've recently switched to fibre and have a DGN2200 lying around.

Could I repurpose it as a fibre > wifi router?

According to what I've found so far, this can be done by connecting to the ethernet 4 port - but I'm still not able to connect - are there any other settings i need to change?

Appreciate any help 🙂
Message 1 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could use it as an Access Point using the method you may have seen;

• Connect the modem to a LAN port of the ‘2200
• Set the ‘2200 LAN address to an unallocated address in the modem subnet
• Ensure the modem DHCP pool is reduced to prevent the IP address that you set for the router being reallocated
• Disable the ‘2200 DHCP server

This all assumes that your fibre modem is also a router, if it is simply a modem then the above setup will be limited to a single connection. So, what modem do you have, make and model?
Message 2 of 6
phobaphobic
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Andy,

The fibre box is an NTD (Network Termination Device) and is the point where the fiber enters and terminates in my house - I have no access to it.

I can connect directly from my computer to the ISP using PPPoE (ethernet to the NTD), but for whatever reason the router isn't making the connection using the same information.

I'm connecting the ethernet to Ethernet port 4 on the DGN2200 as per the official Netgear instructions.
Message 3 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It’s still possible to set up the ‘2200 as an access point, but without access to the preceding device you can’t be sure that the IP you allocate to it will not be in use elsewhere. What you can do is set its LAN IP to something outside the subnet that the NTD allocates to a connected PC, disable its DHCP server, and connect to its LAN port as I described above. I can’t guarantee that this will work, but it does in most cases. The only issue you have after setting up that way is that to gain access to the ‘2200 settings again you have to set a static IP on the same subnet as the ‘2200.

So for example;

Say the NTD allocates IPs in the 192.168.1.x subnet, you set the LAN IP of the ‘2200 to 10.0.0.1, and if you need to connect to it to change its setting afterwards you temporarily set a static IP at the PC e.g. 10.0.0.2

Not exactly easy to explain, so if I’ve confused you please post back.
Message 4 of 6
Draeneiier
Aspirant

Hello, i'm thinking about doing the same thing, but want to connect a diffrent router that will send wifi to the DGN2200, and could use alittle help with getting them setup correctly, had it working for two weeks but then it just shut down so I must have missed something.

Message 5 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Draeneiier

With the DGn2200 are you trying to use it as just a modem and use another router attached to it orare you trying to use the DGN2200 and just a router and have another modem? hope to hear your feedback 

DarrenM

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7