Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGN2200 firmware upgrade - V1.0.0.50_7.0.50

a4andy
Tutor

DGN2200 firmware upgrade - V1.0.0.50_7.0.50

Well I upgraded my router to the above version, then reset it after which I reloaded my own settings file which I had diligently saved prior to flashing. All seemed well except that I can now only see two of my wireless networks; the main one for myself and wife and the guest network (not enabled). The kids network is gone although it appears to be working as I can still connect to it from other devices and it is still working on the kids devices. Since I can't see it on the wireless networks page, I also can't do anything about enabling/disabling it, changing passwords etc. I have repeated the exercise of flashing/reloading of settings without success.

Netgear Supports response: Your device is no longer under warranty, we can't help. That's all well and good but I was actually asking for support with a firmware upgrade that had I not given in to the repeated reminders to install, then I wouldn't be here complaining about it. Thanks anyway Netgear!

Needless to say, I would appreciate comments from anyone with a similar experience, but I fare a trip to the local store for a new modem/router (not Netgear) may be the only solution.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello a4andy

From what I understand you used a config file from your old modem/router if so I would try to factory reset on the new one and re setup your wireless networks without the old config file to see if you are running into the same issues.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
a4andy
Tutor

Thanks Darren. I've tried the upgrade + factory reset a couple of times and even if I go to the wireless screen immediately after a factory reset I can't get back to a position where I can see and/or edit 4 wireless networks.

Cheers,

Andy

Message 3 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

After looking into your model of modem/router I do not believe that the DGN2200 is capable of what you are wanting to do. It can only display the main SSID and a guest SSID. What router did you have before? you could go back to using it and just use the DGN2200 as a modem only and bridge it to the old router. Hope to hear your feedback 

DarrenM

Message 4 of 11
a4andy
Tutor

The DGN2200 is the only modem/router I have. Prior to doing the firmware upgrade, I had 4 networks; 'you-yangs', 'windernet', another that I can't remember the name of and a guest network ('bro'), each with their own SSID. Under Setup/Wireless Settings, each network was available and I could enable it, disable, allow broadcast of SSID, change security options etc. Since the upgrade, if I go to Setup/Wireless settings, I can only see 'you-yangs' and 'bro'. The other two don't appear but I can see and connect to 'windernet' from my laptop, tablets etc. I'm totally lost for a solution and netgear won't support it despite it being a firmware upgrade that I probably wouldn't have installed if not for the reminder every time I log in to the routers web UI.

I've spent a week on it now and am pulling my hair out faster than it grows so think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and find another modem/router or I'll just buy a router and use the DGN2200 as a modem.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 11
a4andy
Tutor

Hi Darren, just thought I would let you know I've fixed it. Found a previous version of firmware online and downgraded to it. Now back to where I was before I got into this mess. Going to stick with it and ignore the prompts to upgrade.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Cheers,

Andy

Message 6 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello a4andy

Great to hear that fixed your issues sorry I misunderstood some of your questions. Come back anytime you have and other questions.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 11
goldstone
Aspirant

Hi Andy

Like you, I foolishly followed the advice to upgrade the firmware on my DGN2200 router to firmware version 1.0.0.46_7.0.44 and like you discovered exactly the same unintended consequence of loss of visibility on the web interface of two of the four accounts. The lost accounts still broadcast their SSIDs and can be logged onto, but cannot be managed eg change password, turned off (inactive) etc.

Like you Netgear support did not want to know as I had not purchased the router within the previous 90days.

I have just upgraded again to firmware version 1.0.0.50_7.0.50 but it has not fixed the fault caused by the earlier upgrade.

Would you please advise what version of the firmware you downgraded to which restored the visibility of all four of your accounts, AND where you foundthat download.

Like you again, I will be ignoring all future advice to "upgrade" when issues are not supported by Netgear.

Thanks

Allen 

Message 8 of 11
a4andy
Tutor

Allen,

It's good to know I'm not the only one then. 🙂

I went back to V1.0.0.36_7.0.36 on a modem that was new in 2011/2012.

Hope that helps; just remember to keep a backup of your settings handy, or know what they are...

Cheers,

Andy

Message 9 of 11
goldstone
Aspirant

Hi Andy

Thanks for your prompt response!

I suspect it's hapened to plenty of people but how many are geeky enough to go to a forum like this. Netgear should be supporting to resolve the ssue as it is a firmware fault, not a hardware fault.  I will remember this when I purchase my next router..revenge will be sweet!

I had already clocked the need to note all settings, but thanks for mentioning.

Anyway, you did not advise WHERE you got the old firmware version from. Can you advise the web address (url).

Thanks

Allen 

Message 10 of 11
a4andy
Tutor

Allen,

Sorry I'm at work and so I just remoted in to my router and copied the version number from the status page. I think the download came from Netgear, try this link;

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/DGN2200v1#searchResults

You'll need to change the country filter to suit, the Firmware/Software list should then contain relevant files.

Cheers,
Andy

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7