Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGN2200 mysterious double failure

rhyds
Aspirant

DGN2200 mysterious double failure

Our company runs a number of original (v1) Netgear DGN2200 routers.

On 28/01/15 around 11am UK Time, one of our offices called to report a loss of internet service.

Investigating the problem, the router displayed the following error condition:

Power light: OFF

LAN access lights: ON

ADSL Sync: Flasing slowly

Wireless/WPS lights: OFF

The router could not be accessed by the web interface and wasn't supplying IP addresses by DHCP.

Powercycling the router caused the Power light to show a RED light (as usual during startup) only for it to go off rather than change to flashing green (indicating startup).

This was mysterious in itself, but it became even more mysterious when another office over 50 miles away from the first described exactly the same failure happening at around the same time to their DGN2200 v1 !

Is there a known issue with the DGN2200v1 in this regard? I have a further DGN2200 that failed around two months ago in a similar manner, and we use this model widely within our organisation.

Also, is there any way to repair or reflash the DGN2200? As it stands I have two router shaped doorstops!
Message 1 of 3
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DGN2200 mysterious double failure

Could you try this http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/~/reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the...

I'm not sure if it works with all router models, but is perhaps worth a try.

I don't have an answer to your simultaneous failure, but suspect a common link. Do your offices use any common applications e.g. VPN clients?
Message 2 of 3
rhyds
Aspirant

Re: DGN2200 mysterious double failure

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a spin to save sending two routers to landfill!

As for the offices, they are 70 miles apart, and use mainly standard programs. VPNs were dealt with by the Routers themselves, and as far as I know they weren't VPNed to each other.

The two routers were connected to the same ISP (talktalk business), but so are many of our other connections, some others with DGN2200v1 routers with no issues.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7