Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGN3500 configured correctly as access point?

MarkNier
Aspirant

DGN3500 configured correctly as access point?

Hello all,

I've received great help from this community in setting up an ancient netgear router as an AP for devices on the top floor of my house (see https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/DGN3500-as-secondary-router-access-point-bridge-... 🙂). 

It's working but I have two follow-ups:

1. The "internet ip address" setting is set to a static ip address (see attached screenshot). Is this the correct setting for my setup or should that be set to "Get Dynamically from ISP"? Everything seems to work because I can connect to the internet but the static address configured there is outside the IP address pool of my primary router (not sure if that matters?).
  2. Where on earth can I change the admin credentials of my router? I can't find it anywhere in the netgear smart wizard and I haven't found the answer online either...

Thanks in advance, any help or explanation is much appreciated! I'd love to learn!

Model: DGN3500|Wireless-N DSL Gigabit Modem Router|EOL
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: DGN3500 configured correctly as access point?

1. The "internet ip address" setting is set to a static ip address (see attached screenshot). Is this the correct setting for my setup or should that be set to "Get Dynamically from ISP"? Everything seems to work because I can connect to the internet but the static address configured there is outside the IP address pool of my primary router (not sure if that matters?).

That setting is really related to how your ISP allocates you a "WAN" IP address out on the Internet. Most are variable but some have fixed WAN IP addresses and can even charge you for the privilege.

In AP mode the thing is really looking at the router, so the IP address on the outside world is something else.

In AP mode, the thing may ignore that setting (see below). If it works, leave it alone. Or change it to "Get Dynamically" and see what happens.

This link shows you what happens when you put a router into AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Note that is disables "Internet Setup". My guess is that it ignores that setting. But in your case, this is an ancient DSL modem/router made before the time when they expected people to play these ticks with hardware.

Where on earth can I change the admin credentials of my router? I can't find it anywhere in the netgear smart wizard and I haven't found the answer online either...

Not sure what you mean by that.

The only thing you can change is the password for the admin way onto the graphical user interface (GUI.

Check the bit in the manual How to Change the Built-In Password.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: DGN3500 configured correctly as access point?

That setting is really related to how your ISP allocates you a "WAN" IP address out on the Internet. Most are variable but some have fixed WAN IP addresses and can even charge you for the privilege.

In AP mode the thing is really looking at the router, so the IP address on the outside world is something else.

In AP mode, the thing may ignore that setting (see below). If it works, leave it alone. Or change it to "Get Dynamically" and see what happens.

This link shows you what happens when you put a router into AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Note that is disables "Internet Setup". My guess is that it ignores that setting. But in your case, this is an ancient DSL modem/router made before the time when they expected people to play these ticks with hardware.

Where on earth can I change the admin credentials of my router? I can't find it anywhere in the netgear smart wizard and I haven't found the answer online either...

Not sure what you mean by that.

The only thing you can change is the password for the admin way onto the graphical user interface (GUI.

Check the bit in the manual How to Change the Built-In Password.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7